How to mount garage contact closure

I think the OP already has his purchased... but for another mounting option, I like these - they mount extremely easily and work great.

Humm... that is worth considering. It's probably worth $26 (the cost of two sensors) to not goof around above the door and have to rerun cable (my builder ran to the lower side of the garage, not the top).

I've been happy with them - I like the way they mount and they're very sturdy - and they don't need to be on the ground. They use a tooth mechanism that clamps them on the track itself, then you either use an existing bolt or two from the door or throw two self-tapping screws on it and it's mounted in just a minute or two.

Top/bottom makes little difference 9/10 times, preference is whether or not to drill the concrete. Track mounts also work, albeit at being more "clunky" on a door compared to, say, installing on the top of the door.

Usually in a commercial application, the enemy is tow motors, with the forks catching the loop or contact and damaging it.

Whenever we install them on the bottom of the doors we almost always see a call back for damage within a year or two. Get out a ladder, mount it on the top of the door, and don't worry about it. There is no water, no salt, and no damage at the top.

I mounted mine on the side, very close to the top, just under where the track mounts on the wall. It is up out of the way and protected and barely visible. Works fine. The magnet screwed into the door simply and securely.

I have windows in my top panel.
I mounted toward the bottom because I didn't want visible access to the switch/magnet.

Wouldn't recommend a GBD in a garage 9/10 times, the OHD moving, opener or related noise are all false alarm sources.

Back