How to trigger Elk M1 rules using UPB switch ...

Spanky said:
I know in Insteon, you have to learn the switch into the M1 Insteon Interface.
Sir Spanky,
And where might I be able to secure me one of those little "M1 Insteon Interface" contraptions?

The M1 Insteon interface is the M1XSP serial port expander with a special download of software that supports Insteon. The software is about to be released. Testing now!!

I think we are all ready. I even have a PowerLinc serial standing by. Is there a count down for the number of days till release??

David,

Have you had any luck yet finding out if RP supports it (or if it doesn't when it would be supported?) Thanks!

The status update of several lighting devices are being worked on. The problem is if the lighting interface does not pass the ON/OFF/DIM command from a light switch to a light back to the M1, the M1 does not know it changed state.

The X10 PSC05 lighting interface passes everything back to the M1. No problem. Some other interfaces do not pass the data unless it is addressed to the interface.

For the lighting interfaces that do not pass the data back to the M1, we are working on a polling scheme. Downside is there is not an instant update.

Don will be able to give us a current software update next week.

I think there is some confusion.

Basically, all I want to do is have the Elk respond to a Link activation (triggered by pushing one of the extra buttons on the UPB switch).

These extra buttons do not send a regular UPB ID on/off command, because only the main button/toggle on a switch can have an UPB ID. All the other buttons can only be used with Links.

I looked into this today and the ELK-M1XSP will respond to a UPB Link activation.
Electron, we need to determine what link number is being sent when you press the extra buttons. The best way would be to attach the UPB PIM to your computer and run Hyperterminal at 4800 baud. When one of the buttons is pressed you should see a string of characters like:
PU890464020420FFFFEB
The 8 following PU indicates it's a link message.
The 02 following the 64 is the link number.
The 20 following the 04 and before FF is the link activated command.
The XSP will see the 20 command and convert the link number (02) to a M1 lighting device number of 194. UPB Links are associated in the M1 starting at lighting device # 193.
If you can post the character strings for each of the 4 buttons, we'll be able to determine what lighting devices are needed to be configured in the M1.

What's the matter Martin, you don't speak 'Engineer' :lol:

Don, I tried this also and I don't have a multibutton. We basically just assigned a link #, in my case to just say the upper toggle and tried to map that to the M1. For example, we assumed Link #2 would translate to device 194. We expected that when the toggle or button was pressed, it was send an activate of link #2 which would then be seen by the XSP/M1 as link(device) 194 activated. That didn't work. I can try the above also with a toggle and see what shows up, or I should just be able to see it in the SDK, right?

Ok, I am having no luck with Hyper Terminal. I tried Serial Watcher, which does show data, but in Hex/Bin/Ascii, which doesn't look like your example at all. I used the UPstart logviewer, and confirmed it sees the link activation. I have 4 buttons, with 4 links

003 -> device 195 (in ElkRP)
004 -> device 196
005 -> device 197
006 -> device 198

In your case, be sure that devices 195,196,197, and 198 are configured as "serial expander" format with ELK-RP. If they already were configured as serial expander, then I would really like to see the ASCII string sent from the UPB PIM when one of the 4 buttons is pressed on your UPB Switch. Since you had no luck with HyperTerminal, you can use the ELK-SDK (if you have it) to monitor the data. Connect the UPB PIM's serial cable to your computer and set the SDK for 4800 baud and the proper COM port. An ASCII string similar to the one I posted above should pop up in the SDK's data window everytime a button is pressed on the UPB switch.

The SDK software shows a stream of data, like 1 byte per line or something, which is the same result I saw in Serial Watcher. I'll have to try a different computer (I did have the UPB link configured correctly in the M1).

Back