How to trigger Elk M1 rules using UPB switch ...

Check the baud rate for 4800 baud in the M1SDK software. Sounds like a baud rate problem with one character per line.

Cheers! :unsure:

It sounds like the UPB PIM might be in Pulse Mode instead of Message Mode, explained here http://pulseworx.com/pdf/PimComm1.5.pdf . Before you connected the PIM to the computer did you have it connected to the M1XSP? The XSP sends the command to set the PIM for Message Mode, which is the mode the XSP needs the PIM to be in. You might want to reconnect to the XSP and control a couple of UPB devices then connect back to the computer and see if you get the full ASCII string. What we're looking for is similar to what is shown on page 14 on the doc (Pg 16 of 26 of the PDF).

Ok, using the PIM connected to the M1 seems to give me better results:

some examples:

PU89059507242264FF2D (table top controller)
PU89059503222200FF97 (US2-40 light switch, using one of the extra buttons)

Good, you're recieving the 20 character string. But, usually with each button press there are 2 strings, one that starts with PU8904..... followed by another string PU8905.... Did you not see a PU8904... string? Also for the link activate command the 14th and 15th characters should be a '2' and '0'. Your strings have goto command '2' and '2' for the 14th and 15th characters. The XSP doesn't respond to the 22 (goto command) it responds to the 20 (activate link command). Also, it must see a string that starts with PU8904 before it even continues to analyze the rest of the string. You might want use UPStart to change the set up of those buttons to make them "activate link" command buttons.

Hmm I think that's the only way you can configure those extra buttons, I will have to check this when I get home. Thanks for your help!

Don, As I mentioned earlier I also tried this with Dan except I do not have a multibutton. I tried again with your instructions and here are the results.

I configured the bottom rocker of switch 9 to transmit an Activate for Link 2. I configured another switch to turn on when it sees Link 2 (to verify Link 2 was working). This all worked fine.

Next I used hyperterminal to capture the strings. These are the strings that came up when I pressed the bottom rocker:

PU890445020920FFFF05
PU890545020920FFFF04

That appears to be what you are looking for?

Ok, so now I put the PIM back on M1 and configured Lighting #193 (Link 2) as Serial Expander - On/Off Switch and named Test Link. I wrote a rule as follows:

WHENEVER Test Link [194 (M2)] IS TURNED ON
THEN TURN xyz ON

where XYZ is another light.

I would expect then when I press the bottom rocker on light 9, my linked light would come on (which is does) AND light xyz should come on based on the rule. Light xyz never comes on. It is as if the rule (or Light 194) does not exist. For grins, I put the same config in Links 193 and 195 and wrote rules to look for those (just in case the array was off by 1). Still the rule did not work.

Hope this helps...

Steve, your rule should work. Is your M1XSP firmware version 1.0.16? As another test, please change the rule to toggle output 3 or something other then sending a lighting command. Maybe the receiving a lighting change and then transmitting a lighting change is causing a conflict? My rules worked when I toggled the state of outputs whenever a link activate was received.

Ok, for some reason it is working now. The only things I have done different is the upgrade of all my XSP's to .16, and reprogram the UPB devices. Will do some more testing, but looking good so far.

There must have been a problem that was fixed in .16. I am running .14. Doesn't matter what I do as a THEN, still doesn't work. Don't want to upgrade since I don't want to keep rewiring. My XSP is running bootloader 1.0.0 behind a DBHR. Any idea when a field flashable bootloader 1.0.1 will be available?

Back