I hate PayPal

nsisman- the only person who has access to my computers are my wife and myself. There is no one who has access to any of my computers at any time. I also know what to look for as phishing and we don't respond to any e-mails from PayPal or even my bank or Visa. I double checked all my computers for spyware, viruses and other bad stuff, I did not find anything.

huggy59- The credit card that was stolen was only used to purchase items on the internet. I had 1 and my wife had 1 that was used when she needed to buy stuff for her work. These were not tied to our bank accounts in any way. PayPal tried many times to get us to become a "verified Member". To do this, we would have to give them our actual bank account numbers. I never thought this was a good idea and I am glad! Also It may be someone at Bellsouth.net, but I don't know how to check this out.

Stinger- The way that I see it, to only person to blame is PayPal. I checked my computers for malicious programs-none were found. I don't let anyone use my computers. My wife hates ordering stuff on the internet (she makes me do it). We don't respond to e-mails. We don't have kids (yet), Paypal sent me 4 emails that said someone at a foreign IP address was trying to access my account (I live in KY and their records show that) Within 9 min. of Paypal sending me the first email they allowed someone to change my password, change my security question, and have my credit card information. I hate to sound rude, but if your credit card information was on the loose who would you blame????

Both credit cards were canceled, and nothing was charged on the accounts. I am lucky there, but what if I had not checked my e-mail early in the morning??

Steve

Steve,

I hate to say this, but the only emails that say someone from a "foreign" IP address tried to access your account are scams. PayPal would never send email that said that.

markthomas- When I talked to customer support, they told me that the e-mails were from PayPal. They were not Spoofs.

Steve

p.s. I know that I called PayPal

You didn't call the number on the email, did you? :lol:

Well, then I stand corrected.

But that is just plain stupid on Paypal's part. Those are very scammy phrases. I receive email like that all the time, and they are scams.

markthomas- Last year I would get 1 or 2 fake e-mails about my Paypal account. I would check the routing of the e-mail, and then just forward it to [email protected]. It did not bother me to get the spoofs, but when I got the real one, that was a different story.

Steve

Here is a nice tool for you guys to use for seeing what is stored on your computer. www.oxid.it/cain.html

Click the first tab and then select the + button from the tool bar and watch it do its thing. You will be amazed at how many of your passwords are un-protected. And on top of that most of you use the same password for everything you log into. Bad idea!... A quick look at you IE history will tell hackers which sites you frequent and then they simply try the passwords that they found on you system on those sites to gather more information about you. Also notice the brute force password cracker in that program. Don't ever think that because you password is hashed one way that it is un-crackable. Take a look and Gordons security guide on this site for some good tips to securing your personal information.

Be careful with that tool, do not even try to run this on your work PC, since you probably will get fired (assuming your IT guy knows what he is doing), since this is a known "hacker" tool.

Scrambled,

Wow this is scary stuff !

Especially if you are sure it was Paypal you talked to and not some pretend Paypal outfit.

If your clear and safe now I think you should throw the ball into PayPal's court and let them chase down the scammers. (And let us know how you make out !)

I would be wanting to know how they let this activity pass after notifying you it was happening ?

They should be able to trace the senders and maybe shut them down somehow ?

When I receive one of these phony emails something pops up on my PC and says "This email is not from who it says it is " ! but PayPal sure didn't help you out on this one.

Neil

Back