I want to monitor 29 Doors!

XD127F

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started with home automation and have a pretty tall order... I need to monitor the opening and closing of 29 doors and some how have the controlling software email me each event! I'm looking for any software / hardware suggestions
to handle a setup like this.. In my second phase I hope to monitor temperature, water flow/leaks, gas/fire alarms so the software/hardware must accommodate this also. Any suggestions would be appreciated, cheers!

Well, undoubtedly CQC can handle that. I have it email me when our smoke alarms go off, or when doors open and I'm on vacation. Probably most software packages out there will be able to do this....but I can only vouch for CQC.

As for hardware, you obviously need something with lots of inputs. I use the Datanab Ai32 which gives 32 analog inputs. It's great for measure temps, and there are probably sensors to do most else of what you want. However, when it comes to sensing dry contact (like magnetic reed switches), it'd be WAY too slow for your purposes. Sounds like you need digital inputs. I dunno what out there has that many digital inputs. Probably you'd need 2 devices with 16 digital inputs each. Most I have is 8 digital inputs on my ocelot/secu16 and 8 on my zeebox250.

Have a look at the Elk M1G. With a couple of input expander boards, you have your doors covered; it has an ethernet board available, and can do light automation onboard.

I was thinking of suggesting the Elk as well, but he hasn't said anything about security. If this is just for automation, your decision probably depends on whether you have wiring already or want to go wireless, in which case you could probably get away with wireless X10. The Elk would be the ultimate solution with wired sensors since wired>wireless and hardware>software.

You need to decide if you want a pc or stand alone pannel. For a stand alone pannel the ElkM1 will do what you need and can text and email out of the pannel. For the ultimate HAI is nicer for compleat home intergration lights etc but a little more $$$. Both will work. Tell us your end game and we can advise you better.

I agree with boyfly, if security isn't the goal. Of course, you'd probably need the new Megaduino (http://blog.makerbot.com/2009/03/25/new-product-arduino-mega/) and a bit of scripting (Processing or Python most likely). Less than a $100 in bits and pieces.

Geez, that board is almost $1 per I/O input....not bad! Of course, some assembly (or Assembly) required, it seems. Interesting board...I would think that would take care of all of anyone's I/O needs.

It says 53 I/O pins....does that mean they're digital inputs (in other words, FAST)? Neat device.

Thank you everyone,, looks like I have plenty of hardware choices, but not sure which PC software I should settle on.. Basicly looking for the software to maintain a door open log with time stamp and have it send a email on each event..

Thank you everyone,, looks like I have plenty of hardware choices, but not sure which PC software I should settle on.. Basicly looking for the software to maintain a door open log with time stamp and have it send a email on each event..

I would strongly suggest you not go past the ELK M1G with its Ethernet module which will monitor your points and email you on each event with time and date stamp.

Back