Icon switches in X10 mode

Guy Lavoie

During last Friday's evening chat, there was a discussion about the compatibility of the Smarthome Icon (Insteon) switches in X10 mode. After a few tests done by Martin, it appears that these switches do not respond the same as other X10 switches when a multiple address sequence is used to turn several switches on or off. Suppose that you have two switches at addresses A/1 and A/2 and send the following commands: A/1, A/2, A/On: only the second switch will turn on. So it seems that only a command pair (or an all lights on/off command) can turn these on or off. This could be an annoying problem for someone replacing X10 switches with Icons but wanting to use them in X10 mode with existing macros in their HA setup.

Has anyone tried this test on SwitchLinc-V2? I would have thought that they would have the same X10 firmware in both devices (why would they write two different versions).

The ICONS maybe different from the full featured SwitchLinc V2s. The docs say they support less Insteon Scenes and no X10 Scenes though I did add an X10 Scene to one Icon 2676SB On/Off Switch. Same for current ratings for the Icon relay docs say 10 amps sticker on unit 13 amps like the full featured SwitchLinc V2 relay.
Dimmers similar in docs versus label. Docs 300 watts label 600 watts like the big brother SwitchLinc V2 dimmer. Guess that way future production runs can be made with lower capacity parts and they can say we never said they where going to stay at 13 amps on the relay or 600 watts on the dimmer.

Small test tonight with one 2476S SwitchLinc V2 on A3 and 7 ApplianceLinc V2s A5;A10; A11;A12;A13;A14 and A15 as Primary X10 Addresses. Using the Advanced Signal Area of Smarthome Manager Essentials with an 1132CU
Sent an A All Units OFF
Then: A3;A5;A10;A11;A12;A13;A14;A15; AON. All the units turned on. To use one address A1 to control all the 2476S ApplianceLinc V2s; they also have a scene of A1 in them. I have seen that if I do something like A1; A2; A3; A5; AON. All the modules using the scene of A1 will not turn on or off but stay in their present state.

No dimming types where used so this may not be the same as others owners with dimming switches and modules may see.

I just received my order of 5 icon switches. One of them was defective, smarthome.com is sending me a replacement on Monday... I used 2 of the icon's to replace Switchlinc V1 switches.

It appears the ICON or maybe INSTEON switches overall don't work as well with the x10 powerline signals. If I plug my X10 pro maxi controller into several outlets downstairs I can control the new insteon lights. However, if I try controlling them from plugs upstairs they don't respond. The old Switchlincs worked fine from anywhere in the house.

Of course, my Elk M1 system can't reach them now.. Argh...

Has anyone else has problems like this?

jduncc said:
I just received my order of 5 icon switches. One of them was defective, smarthome.com is sending me a replacement on Monday... I used 2 of the icon's to replace Switchlinc V1 switches.

It appears the ICON or maybe INSTEON switches overall don't work as well with the x10 powerline signals. If I plug my X10 pro maxi controller into several outlets downstairs I can control the new insteon lights. However, if I try controlling them from plugs upstairs they don't respond. The old Switchlincs worked fine from anywhere in the house.

Of course, my Elk M1 system can't reach them now.. Argh...

Has anyone else has problems like this?
Now that you mention it, when I made a comment about suspecting the APC UPS or power strip eating the signals I didn't even think about this.

The primary switches I was testing were ones that were Insteon with X10 addresses set. Now I thought I tested a few traditional switchlinc switches too, but now I think I need to go back and look at it differently.

Of course now that Insteon support is being released it is not going to be much of an issue (assuming the insteon commands work and it is not some different issue).

jduncc said:
upstatemike said:
Were the v1s 2-way switches or the PLC receive only version?
one way plc's
OK, so it is not really an Apples to Apples comparison since all Insteon switches are 2-way. Whenever you go from 1-way PLC type switches to 2-way switches, you have to deal with the added "signal suck" property that these switches have due to the transmit circuit. I think your problem is a 1-way v.s. 2-way issue and not a V1 v.s. V2 issue.

Boosterlincs are an expensive temporary solution that has worked for me. Waiting for the Elk Insteon upgrade might be a more cost effective answer in your case.

So I guess I'm better off waiting for elk's INSTEON support since it is due out in the next week or two..

To setup insteon with the elk, I'll need another serial port expander, and a smarthome powerlinc home controller (2414s). Will I also need SignaLinc RF's for it all to work?

this just got more expensive. :)

The signallinc's are a requirement for Insteon to begin with. The starter pack ($99 with a control pad, 2 signal lincs and 2 lamp lincs) is a good way to start and is what I did.

I forgot about the powerlinc. In my haste to order a serial expander, I forgot about what it will talk to.

More expensive, yes, but if this covers the reliability issues, isn't it worth it? Plus everything reports on its status now, which is part of the reason why I've decided to make the switch and go down this path.

Hopefully I have chosen wisely...

Back