IF the HAI OMP2 and ELK M1G were the same price?

soonersig

Ok assuming they were the same starting price, and you wanted to do a DIY install which only started with the following:

Security system
CCTV with DVR (viewable while away from home)
Sonos or russound WHA
iPad and iPhone controllable

And then wanted to expand in the future with leak detection with WSV, lighting control, irrigation,thermostat, appliance monitoring,door locks and more.

Which system should I get, why.
P.S. I leaning towards HAI, with sonos haiku and roomie remote but have no idea what CCTV DVR SYSTEM I'm going to use. Thoughts????

Anyone know a good HAI installer in the memphis area?

You can do everything you have listed with either system, they overlap 95% in functionality. The differences are minor, but can influence your choice based on other requirements.

Here are a few differences:

HAI basic unit has a lot of built-in functionality, which makes initial cost higher, Elk is more modular and can be expanded over time.
Haiku is a great app for controlling OP2, it can replace the touch consoles, but is only available for iOS devices. HaikuHelper will allow even more features.
Elk has more security functions and more zone types.
HAI allows mixing lighting technologies, it is a lot more difficult to do in Elk
Elk supports Insteon, HAI does not
HAI integrates with somfy RS232 motors, not available in Elk
HAI can receive ASCII strings without EOL, which allows direct integration with wider group of devices, Elk requires EOL
Elk cannot receive button presses for RadioRA and Centralite keypads.
HAI supports digital temperature and humidity sensors, Elk only has temperature.

As far as CCTV is concerned, it would have to be a separate system, and different ones can integrate better with Elk or HAI. I use all IP cameras with their own recording software, but HAI can also integrate with them and show camera on a console based on some trigger.

My $.02 is that the Elk is compatible with more options - more expandable... but if you want a ton of full integration - audio, touchscreens, intercom, etc - all totally integrated in a very tidy package.

Back