Inexpensive UPB Modules

bfisher

A friend of mine on the Homevision forums found these! Fry's sells both the lamp module and the appliance module - plus switch rockers and slaves. Modules are rockers are $34.99; slaves are $29.99

Since I don't have a Frys nearby, I found the appliance and lamp modules on Outpost website, but not the rocker switches or slave switches yet. I've contacted Outpost to see if they plan on carrying them - will update once I get word back.

Lamp Module

Appliance Module

<edit: I've been told the modules are both 2 prong models, not 3 prong. I do not know their power ratings >

Invite your HV friends over to CT! We discussed those HAL switches right after EHExpo, back around April. Steve broke the news here after getting the info from Tim Shriver.

It's so funny that HAL went thru the effort to brand it their own but the switch still has the Simply Automated blue sticky on the faceplate. For those that don't know, this HAL switch is essentially a Simply Automated US1130W.

This is fantastic news! I purchased 1 of the switches and 1 slave from my local fry's last week. However, they only had the one left.

I am so excited that they are featuring it on their site now.

Thanks rupp and bfisher!!

WayneW said:
Invite your HV friends over to CT! We discussed those HAL switches right after EHExpo, back around April. Steve broke the news here after getting the info from Tim Shriver.
Yeah - I remember... however this is the first I've seen of them actually available.

And thanks for the link to the switches... I just got an email saying they missed them and have been added to the site. Excellent!

<edit: Here is the link for the Slave Switches >

No, HAI just released the first true 15A relay. You do realize that UPB switches can still switch flourescents, etc, just not heavy duty stuff.

I know that some do triac switching but I have found that to be a pain in the neck. You have to spend too much time evaluating each potential load to see if it is "Triac Friendly" and if you change the fixture down the road you might potentially have to change your switch too...

I prefer clean relay contacts.

Well I have several UPB switches controlling flourescents with no issues. Also you can get a true relay inline module or a controllable outlet so there are several options besides a wall switch. I don't think there are too many reasons to have to use a 15A relay wall switch.

Steve said:
Well I have several UPB switches controlling flourescents with no issues. Also you can get a true relay inline module or a controllable outlet so there are several options besides a wall switch. I don't think there are too many reasons to have to use a 15A relay wall switch.
I use way more relay switches than dimmers in the Insteon world. A typical application is to have them control outlets in the basement that have shop lights plugged into them. If somebody decides to unplug one to run a shop vac or even a circular saw, it is no big deal to the relay contacts. I'm not sure what would happen if these outlets were Triac switched.

I know I can get around this by using a $75 UPB switch to control $90 UPB controllable outlets at each shoplight location but that just isn't going to happen.

My basement has eight $20 insteon switches controlling 40+ fluorescent fixtures. UPB just wouldn't be cost effective for me.

I'm not going to debate the costs, we know UPB costs more than Insteon. The point was that you don't need a relay switch for most things with UPB. The outlet is not a workaround IMO, but the best way if you want a controlled outlet. Besides, many outlet locations are not wired for switch control. You can also Have 1 switch or controller with 8 buttons that will let you control 8 devices. If you had a touchscreen, you put put as many controls as you want at no additional cost, just the cost of the outlet. Also, don't know with JDS, but with Elk you can also control any device or outlet from the keypad, so yes, it would be crazy to buy a UPB switch to control a UPB outlet in a 1 to 1 ratio. And the HAI UPB relay switches are not much less than the outlets, so thats basically a wash.

I have 1 outside location where I have a controlled outlet. I have another outside location where I have 2 outlets on the same circuit. In that case I have an inline module that controls both of those regular outlets. This is primarily used for holiday lighting. So depending on your needs you can also realize certain economies by controlling several regular outlets with 1 inline relay module.

In your basement you can have the same 8 $35 UPB switches controlling the 40 flourescents.

Bottom line, very technically possible *without* wall switch relays to answer the original question.

OK. Maybe I'm just prejudiced against triac control of inductive loads because I have had bad experiences in the past. Aslong as they dont have a problem with 12V wall warts (which I use for hardwire status feedback on a lot of circuits) I'll concede that the relay switch issue should not be a baeeier for me in switching to UPB.

At this rate I'll end up talking myself into a full HAI environment complete with UPB switches and an OmniPro-II for a controller!

Well, the outlets and inline modules are true relays and not triac controlled. I'm not sure I would controll a wall wart with a regular switch but it may work.

If you ever do decide on going with an OmniPro I would love to hear your decision criteria vs JDS or Elk in another thread.

Back