Inexpensive Waterproof controller (i.e., waterproof tablet or phone) for use in hot tub or pool

tadr

I've been looking for an inexpensive waterproof controller (ideally an android tablet) to use to control my lighting and audio systems from the hot tub.  As long as it can run android, I can get it to do what I want.  Alternatively, I could use an iOS device, but I suspect this would be more expensive (since the waterproof cases appear to be $$).  I'd love something that was natively waterproof and didn't require an extra case.  Something that floats would be really nice too.  I don't want to pay more than $200 for this.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I should add that I really don't want to use one of those waterproof ziploc/snap-type case/bags.

Aftermarket case (IE: Lifeproof etc.) on an IOS device is going to be the easiest to find, but your budget is going to be a killer. The case is going to be half the budget.

Otherwise, a windows platform could run android in a browser on it natively.

Agree with above. I just checked the Lifeproof website and the only tablet sized cases they offer are for iOS devices. They do have android cases, but they are limited to phones.

The only native waterproof (?) phone that I've been aware was the Galaxy S4 Active.

HTC Desire Eye claims to be waterproof and sells at $199 now (right at your budget.)  I haven't used it personally.

You know the rule, right?  Good, fast, cheap.... pick two.  

Several challenges present themselves, not least of which is keeping it charged.  Whatever you use it'll need to have a way to charge it.  There are, fortunately, a number of micro-USB to Qi charging accessories you can use with any device that has a micro-USB port.  Then you have to focus on finding an effective charging base that'll work in your environment AND a case that'll be thin enough to allow the wireless charging to function.  Otherwise having to open the the constantly charge it is going to present problems keeping it sealed.

I would not plan on finding something that will float.  It's one thing to make something water-resistant.  It's another thing entirely making it sufficiently buoyant to keep it floating.  This typically means the case has to be larger and then you're circling back around to the case thickness and charging engineering.

Then there's the problem with durability.  You're talking wet hands here and potentially hard surfaces.  As in, ooops, dropped it.  There have been a number of ruggedized tablets but they're all more than $200.  And there you run into the problem of keeping the OS on it up to date, lots of stuff like that doesn't always get updated to the latest Android.

What kind of control are you after? 

Have you considered mounting an Echo near the hot tub?  That way you could control via voice.

I am considering doing this, but I am waiting on an Echo skill to be added into the automation system I am using (PowerHome).

I looked at this same thing and never found a decent solution.  In the interim, I still just use a small table sitting next to the spa that has our towels sitting on it and I place my iphone or ipad on the table.  For the couple of times I need to control something, I just touch the towel to dry my hand and then make the adjustment.  I never pick up the phone and hold it over the spa area.

When we had the old house and the hot tub I used a Balboa Dolphin waterproof universal remote.  It sent RF commands to a base station that repeated them as IR.  It was essential the same thing as a RadioShack universal remote.

Along the way, however, we discovered it wasn't really something we bothered to use.  It was more of a distraction than the intended goal of using the hot tub for relaxation.  It was easier to just set some music and go enjoy the spa.

Me, if I had to use a tablet in the tub, like sitting there for hydrotherapy or something, I'd put up with using a regular tablet in a bag.  That way I wouldn't have to deal with it being a separate tablet, and possibly not up to date with the OS and apps that I used on my regular tablet.  

I've got a bunch of Nexus 7 tablets around the house.  While Android does allow each tablet to have multiple users, it can get a little confusing keeping them all updated.  But the multi-user aspect does work and does come in handy now and then.  More often than note, though, it's easier for each of us to use our own tablets.  

I prefer an outdoor hot tub.  Not sure I'd want an Echo outdoors.

Back