informing your central station

v1rtu0s1ty

hey folks, I don't know if I have already asked this previously but I don't recall any. If so, forgive me. :lol:

Here is the scenario. It's 3am, we are at home and I'm the only one awake. The security is in ARMED position. A bad guy forced the window which triggered the window contact. He sees me in the kitchen and points a knife to my throat. He tells me to disarm it.

Is there a way to disarm it but still informing our central station? If so, how is this configured in our M1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil:

First of all let's hope this never happens. If it's 3 a.m. you are probably armed in the STAY NITE INSTANT mode. The alarm has already gone off because a perimeter zone has been violated so the CS has been notified. You would then disarm with your Duress code. NextAlarm should then do what you have instructed them to do as far as notifications. This stuff is sort of in the installation manual.

The "duress" code is used when you are forced to disarm. That lets the CS know that you did not do it willingly. Typically that has the police respond silently, possibly escalating into a SWAT hostage situation before the bad guy knows that anything is going wrong.

Ah, it's called Durress code. I will search for it then. As always, thank you very much Robert. :lol:

v1rtu0s1ty said:
since I am in test mode now with NextAlarm, can I test a duress code tonight and try it in?
Are you activated yet? If you are make sure you are really in test mode. If you are not activated yet you can play all you want and NextAlarm won't do a thing.

Program one of the user codes as a DURESS Code. Make sure you enable the Duress Reporting Code in the communicator.

When you use this code to arm or disarm, the Duress reporting code will be sent to the central station silently.

Warning: The police should show up with guns drawn!!!!LOL

and dont be drinking a beer when the cops show up and say "occifer I was just playing with my elk"

rfdesq said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:
since I am in test mode now with NextAlarm, can I test a duress code tonight and try it in?
Are you activated yet? If you are make sure you are really in test mode. If you are not activated yet you can play all you want and NextAlarm won't do a thing.
yep, I haven't done anything yet. I'm sure, I'm still on test mode.

Ok folks, I was able to successfully test my duress code. It showed Silent Alarm in NextAlarm's log.

I have a new question. Assuming we have a party in our house, then someone suddenly put us in hostage. However, I still have time to inform the c.s. but I don't want to use the F keys to inform them. The reason I don't want to assign the F keys is because my kids can play with the buttons. Can we program a user code that does this silently?

Neil, don't invite anyone to your party who would take you hostage :(. Teach your kids not to play with the keypad and program the "F" keys to double press to activate. Your duress code will work.

rfdesq said:
Neil, don't invite anyone to your party who would take you hostage :(. Teach your kids not to play with the keypad and program the "F" keys to double press to activate. Your duress code will work.
Ah, what I'll do with duress code is to uncheck the ARM checkbox. This way, it will not arm it. That's what I noticed a while ago.

Yes, I will teach my kids too. :p

v1rtu0s1ty said:
Ah, what I'll do with duress code is to uncheck the ARM checkbox. This way, it will not arm it. That's what I noticed a while ago.
Just make sure you keep the disarm ability. That way you can disarm and send duress at the same time.

I actually tried it this afternoon. I unchecked arm and sent to system. When I press the duress code, it still armed it. :D

Any ideas?

Back