Insects on my cameras

cbs01

Does anyone know of a trick to keep insects away from camera lenses? Sometimes a fly or wasp on my dome will generate motion events all day.

Stop disguising them as flowers??

Perhaps a vocal warning "Unidentified flying bug, you are in a restricted space. Please move along or face the consequences."

I know IR illuminators will attract bugs. Do your cameras have IR built in? I would assume they are off during the day and this seems to be when you are having problems however.

LOL, no I don't use IR & no flower camouflage. I have three cams in eaves attached to soffits. In the summer, it's mostly wasps that are a a pain & in the winter, there's the occasional fly or beetle on a warm day. Last year, I used a residue-free insect repellent/killer that would work for a week or so. Looking for something a little more permanent.

I have spiders building webs in front of mine, I clean them then use bug spray but they are back in no time.

Last year the I had professionals spray the house and that seemed to last a bit longer, still not long enough.

Maybe someone has a old trick to keep the bugs away.

StevenE

If you don't have IR on the cameras you shouldn't have too big of an issue and the effects aren't nearly as bad. One spider stranded can whiteout an IR cam making it worthless.

I have covered the and sprayed them with off the shelf RAID style insect spray.

I understand your pain.

I don't think there is a way of avoiding that. During the summer, the issue is even worse for me, since I use IR (yet another reason to avoid built-in IR ...), so at night, one of these little buggers creates a lot of hard drive activity.

Back