Insteon Device IDs

noshali

I am sure that this has been discussed before...

I have a couple of insteon switches that I have already installed and am using x10. Is there a way to get the device ID without taking it out of the wall?

I am trying to use HS but so far no luck getting the plugin to work.

regards,

How is the security on these switches? Let me elaborate:
I'd like to know if it would be safe to put a door strike on an Insteon switch. I would never do that with X10, since there is only A to P house codes with numbers 1 - 16 each, but I'm curious if using Insteon would be plausible, or if I should go with some kind of relays instead.

Insteon, like X-10 and UPB and Z-Wave, is a lighting protocol. You can probably find a way to use it to control a door strike or a thermostat or a garage door, but why would you want to?

A door strike runs on low voltage and should have a battery backup so it still works during a power failure. I think a relay would be the better option.

Hi,

Insteon security is based on others not knowing the 24 bit address of your device. As with anything like this, give some dedicated techno-crook enough time, and the address can be discovered by passive means. The good part is that someone accidently keying your device is just not going to happen (as with X10).

There are provisions, in the protocol, to enable encryption of data. So far I have not seen that part used. This stuff is all currently too new.

Ken

KenM said:
Hi,

Insteon security is based on others not knowing the 24 bit address of your device. As with anything like this, give some dedicated techno-crook enough time, and the address can be discovered by passive means. The good part is that someone accidently keying your device is just not going to happen (as with X10).

There are provisions, in the protocol, to enable encryption of data. So far I have not seen that part used. This stuff is all currently too new.

Ken
Once again I have to ask why you need security in a lighting protocol? Lamp hacking just doesn't happen enough for it to be an issue!!

upstatemike said:
Once again I have to ask why you need security in a lighting protocol? Lamp hacking just doesn't happen enough for it to be an issue!!
Because people, such as the recent poster will try to bend a "lighting" protocol into an access control protocol, etc. So, it isn't "lamp" hacking, it is "door strike" hacking, which has much higher rewards, especially if he uses Insteon to disable the alarm system also. :(

Hi again,

Also, be aware, Insteon is meant to be a 'home control' protocol, not just light control.

That is way overkill just to make a light go on and off. I have no ideas what hardware is planned for the future but true 'home control' will be possible when all of the features are utilized.

:(

Ken

OK I guess you could use it for other things but I would need to understand the advantage in each situation before I decided to do so.

For controlling a door strike, a relay is simple and reliable and secure. So what would drive me to consider Insteon as an alternative being how there are security questions, power fail issues, and a general increase in the complexity of the solution?

I believe that Smarthome is hoping that manufacturers of Appliances etc will intergrate the technology into their products. You could automate everything and anything that plugs in?

I think I read of thermostats using Insteon someday soon (just like an X-10 thermostat). It would be great if Ceiling fan, lighting, wall/window air conditioner etc. manufacturers intergreted the technology

UpStateMike,

You are 100% correct in that nothing can beat a direct wired relay for access control.

Right now... There is no reason to consider Insteon for that type of application.

The future?...

Ken

KenM said:
Also, be aware, Insteon is meant to be a 'home control' protocol, not just light control.
INSTEON is meant to be home networking protocol for command and control.

There are provisions within the technology that allow secure and encrypted messages for applications such as door strikes etc.

Time will tell which manufacturers integrate INSTEON into their products but speaking from inside the walls the future looks bright. :(

upstatemike said:
But think how much the local power authority has to gain from hijacking your 100+ insteon switches while you are out...

The way I have the door strike setup is that I have an outlet that has a wall switch connected by the door and the transformer for the doorstrike wired to that.
I'd like to be able to not only buzz people in by hitting the switch at the top of the stairs, but use Girder to buzz the door with my IR remote, and eventually in the future use an Insteon pocket remote when they are finally available. That way, when I get home I can just hit the button on my remote to let myself in, just like you can with a car.

However, I would never do this with X10. I was just wondering if it would also be a bad idea to do this with Insteon.

Back