Insteon Giveaway on Friday

Digger

As some of you know SH finally agreed to swap the bad devices. A day to late though. My wife had me rip them all out over the weekend and go back to regular switches (another hundred bucks or so down the drain). She could not handle the constant failures and all of my time replacing switches. I could not handle the nagging from her :) nor the aggravation with SH. I publically fought them until I won but it just didnt happen fast enough. The people there really tried but they could not process a blanket RMA for multiple devices as their systems dod not allow it. It would take days from the to come up with over a dozen RMA numbers etc.

this Friday I will post a list of devices that I beleive are working. If its used it will be free plus shipping. If its new in the box I will try and recoup most of what I spent (maybe 10 to 20 percent off) plus shipping. A lot of what I have will be going to friends and coworkers that I convinced to use Insteon etc.

I might hide some of it away until she calms down but not sure on that. The "I" word is forbidden in my home at the moment.

I will not knowlingly give or sell any bad devices. Let me calrify that. If its broke now I wont give it away or sell it. If it has a known defect on the product line (paddles, firmware, flickering keypadlincs, flickering dimmer loads) but at the moment is functioning or new in the box it will be up for grabs.

Whatever is available will be posted on Friday. To be fair I am not accepting offers of Money etc for any used devices. The new devices will be posted and it will be first come first served.

Please do not email me with bids etc. I am just trying to help out fellow cocooners. Whats the saying... "My loss is your gain"? Or is it my pain is your gain ;)

Sorry it had to end this way; but I do understand your situation.
I know of a few others that have also dumped Insteon in one case for ZWave.

Sorry it had to end this way; but I do understand your situation.
I know of a few others that have also dumped Insteon in one case for ZWave.

I needed to end it no matter what the cost.

Hopefully SH will learn from this so others do not have similar problems. I cant beleive they put in writing "if and when" product is available that have the defects corrected would I get replacements. They eventually gave up on that but they never should have said it al all.

For the moment I am not going to another brand. The WAF is way out of wack now. No more toys for Digger for a while ;)

For the moment I am not going to another brand. The WAF is way out of wack now. No more toys for Digger for a while ;)
Quoted For Truth.

For about a month I thought my wife's new boyfriend was going to enjoy the work I was doing on the living room. I couldn't get those walls patched up fast enough with the glares and criticisms I was getting... and my wife is really, really easy-going!

You know how these things go...

Finally get a surround sound receiver...
... so you need a universal remote

You get a Harmony 880...
... and find out it can control your lights

Since the only thing in the room is a $20 lamp from Wal-Mart, new lights would be a good idea...
... and if you're going to pull wire to put in 4 wall sconces, you might well add a ceiling fan...

... but since the room has a vaulted ceiling, you can't put the fan in the middle.
... so you get 2 fans - one for each side

... so you've got the wire pulled, but you can't get a convenient way to get an interference-free, up-to-code separate channel for the speaker wire. Of course you'll run the wire in-wall... it's got so many holes in it already!

...so you rip out the baseboards! But since the hardwood floors were installed, the baseboard is 1" below it, and can't be pryed away w/o breaking

... so you go get new baseboard & shoe molding
... and if you're breaking out the tools, you might as well do that case molding around the door you always wanted

... and then once you've installed the lights & the fans, ran the speaker wire, got fancy binding post face plates on the walls, have the speaker mounts in place, replaced the baseboard/shoe, put in plinth, case & rosettes, and done all the little other odds & ends (like drywall repair)...

... you realize that the paint doesn't quite go with the wall sconces...

... so you decided to paint...

FIRE ENGINE RED.

Digger, you have my condolences.

I will not knowlingly give or sell any bad devices. Let me calrify that. If its broke now I wont give it away or sell it. If it has a known defect on the product line (paddles, firmware, flickering keypadlincs, flickering dimmer loads) but at the moment is functioning or new in the box it will be up for grabs.
Does that mean I can not request some bad or partly bad devices. I have some experiments I have been wanting to do but can't get myself to open a fully working switch and take a soldering iron to it , but if I could get some with a dead paddle or contacts, but still working guts (computer control etc) ... ;)

Does that mean I can not request some bad or partly bad devices. I have some experiments I have been wanting to do but can't get myself to open a fully working switch and take a soldering iron to it , but if I could get some with a dead paddle or contacts, but still working guts (computer control etc) ... ;)

I already made a written commitment to SH that I would not distribute the bad ones. I dont want to go against my word with them and they also have all of the address's of the bad devices.

If you contact SH and get their permission I have no problem with what you are asking for. I am just tired of dealing with them or I would contact them myself. I am sure you can understand why.

Ok this was amusing to me..............

THe very first thing one of my friends wanted was the Remotelinc. So maybe it will be a hit.

I already made a written commitment to SH that I would not distribute the bad ones. I dont want to go against my word with them and they also have all of the address's of the bad devices.

If you contact SH and get their permission I have no problem with what you are asking for. I am just tired of dealing with them or I would contact them myself. I am sure you can understand why.

Thanks, yes I fully understand, don't worry about it.

well that is a shame she made you pull it all out... but wont it be easier to replace? ;)

I put in regular old Leviton Decora switches (you know the dumb ones). No more automated switches allowed at this point. I really thought I would be able to work it all out with SH and in all honesty they were trying but they could never get me an actual RMA number. It would probably take them another week. And when another one died on Saturday my wife was enough is enough. That and it was getting out of hand with all of the accusations etc.

I admit I was sick and tired of the fight. Why would they put in writing to me "if and when" they fix the problem I could swap my bad ones? They are under warranty for gods sake. They wore me and my wife down.

I have to say I feel like a huge weight is off my shoulders now that its over.

I would love to play with dead modules, but then we may figure out what Smarthome can't or will not admit. So your promise not to give away dead or lame ones was a good move. I knew what was failing in the ApplianceLincs well before the recall. ;)

I can understand their problem. If it requires new parts ETL may need all new tests with the new parts. I have had thet happen at work myself.

Dave -

Yes, we'll get this processed for you and wrapped up by tomorrow. I'll contact you tomorrow with confirmation and RMA numbers/instructions.

Thanks
Ryan
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 3:18 PM
To: Ryan Christensen
Cc: Laurie Maroni
Subject: Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: Re: RE: RE: TechMall Posting

Ryan,

I know you only received the list this morning and it may take a day or two to go over everything. Please just confirm that you received it and let me know if you need any other information. I will start packing it up tonight. I have a few devices to uninstall as well so I wont finish this until tomorrow.

I would like to ship Saturday so hopefully you can have an RMA number by then.

Thanks

Dave

As you can see above they had promised me that I would get an RMA number on the 6th. Then is was one excuse after another why they could not do it. Everything they could to avoid doing it. The situation on Sunday though put everything over the edge and they agreed to do it but I had already ripped everything out that day and wife put her foot down.

Soooooooooo close LOL.

But the real kicker was teh following statement:

We'll absolutely replace items for you with known issues if and when we have items to replaced them with. I wouldn't want to send you replacement items that contain the same issue you are experiencing.

But you can buy all you want.

I would love to play with dead modules, but then we may figure out what Smarthome can't or will not admit. So your promise not to give away dead or lame ones was a good move. I knew what was failing in the ApplianceLincs well before the recall. ;)

I can understand their problem. If it requires new parts ETL may need all new tests with the new parts. I have had thet happen at work myself.

Yes I am a Compliance Engineer myself and fully understand going through UL or ETL. I also worked at UL for 12 years. If they said they had a fix but they are in testing at ETL and it will take 2 months FINE!!!! But they are so secretive they kill themselves.

I would love to play with dead modules, but then we may figure out what Smarthome can't or will not admit. So your promise not to give away dead or lame ones was a good move.

If I gave away bad ones and someone else tried to exchange them SH would have had a fit. So I made the promise not to screw them. After the way things went I would love to borrow a bulldozer for them. Would feel so good ;)

Back