Insteon not working

RandyKnight

I got my Insteon stuff in so I could do my comaprions to UPB and so far I'm underwhelmed. I'm starting out with the starter kit which came with two SignalLincRF's, 2 LampLinc's and a ControlLinc keypad. It also came with a QuickStart guide that walks you through seting it all up.

I put the SignalLinc's in on two separate ends of the house and their setup went perfect, just as the doco said.

I then put a LampLinc in an outlet, the ControlLinc in another and proceeded to go through the setup to tie the lamp to a button on the ControlLinc. The ControlLinc seemed to go into setup mode just fine, and the LampLinc turned the lamp on and off as described, but the ControlLinc never beeped or stopped blinking to indiated it had been set up. I tried this with both LampLincs and with different buttons on the ControlLinc to no avail.

I then moved the ControlLinc and LampLinc to the same outlet and everything worked fine. Lamp turned on/off, etc. I moved the LampLinc back to the original outlet. Same problem.

I suspect what may be happening is that the two outlets are on different phases? They're in the same room BTW. But I thought the SignalLinc's were supposed to couple the phases. Perhaps I have the SignalLinc's both on the same phase? How can I tell if this is the case or not?

Next question, once this is set up correctly, will I be able to move the ControlLinc around without reprogramming it? If not, that kind fo defeats the purpose of a tabletop controller.

Yes it sounds like your SignaLincs are on the same phase. Did you follow the quickstart directions to confirm you are on a different phases during setup?

Yes you can move the ControLinc around all you want.

It just said "make sure they are on different phases" but I didn't see anything that said how to tell.

The good news is I moved them around trial and error and I got it all to work. Now I'll move on to a direct wire switch. :D

At this point if I have the SignalLinc's placed, phases should not be an issue correct?

That's right. Once you have them on opposite phases you should be set with that part. On the front page of the quickstart guide it talks about using the LEDs on the signal enhancers to verify phase (steps 2-6). Are you sure you are looking at the right document?

Got th3 2 LampLincs and a Ceiling Fan all working now. CF is on an Icon On/Off and the light is on an Icon dimmer. ControlLinc is controlling all of them.

Next step ... USB Interface and software. Where would you recommend I start software wise? I've got HomeSeer running with UPB right now. Can it do Insteon? Someone else mentioned PowerHome as a good Insteon package. Others?

RandyKnight said:
I've got HomeSeer running with UPB right now. Can it do Insteon? Someone else mentioned PowerHome as a good Insteon package. Others?
You need the Insteon Plug-in for HomeSeer. Power-Home is great for linking, but I'm not sure the macros are running yet. And there is always the SH Timer Essential.

One way to make sure you are on opposite phases is to look at your breaker box. Find 2 rooms that are above/below or across from each other in the box. They will be on opposite phases.

RandyKnight said:
Got th3 2 LampLincs and a Ceiling Fan all working now. CF is on an Icon On/Off and the light is on an Icon dimmer. ControlLinc is controlling all of them.
Too bad you didn't order at least 1 full V2 switch and a light pipe set so you could get a better feel for the aesthetic options. Icons are OK but if you pick Insteon you will probably use full some full V2 switches.

I've still got a SwitchLinc V2 and a KeyPadLinc to install. But I have to say I really like the Icons at this point. They're nice and clean ... the LED is a little less intrusive than the UPB stuff I got. But I plan to install the others as well.

Quesiton, the place I want to install next is a CF with a 3-way for the light switch. I'll need to use both of my remaining devices for this correct? IOW, I can't just install the SwitchLinc on one of the 2 switches.

This is fine ... one of the switches is in a good location for the KeyPadLinc ... just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.

I'm trying to picture what you have... A CF controlled from a double gang box containing a 3-way switch that operates the light plus a regular switch for the fan? And there is another switch location that has the other switch in the 3-way setup for the light?

Correct. The CF and the light are actualy in a triple gang box with a 3rd switch that's for a fluorecent light but that's neither here nor there.

RandyKnight said:
... the LED is a little less intrusive than the UPB stuff I got. But I plan to install the others as well.
Keep in mind the LED is configurable in UPStart. For example with the US2-40 from Simply Automated you can set the LED to Blue, Green, Light Blue or Off for each state (on/off). The Light Blue is not as bright and may be more to your liking.

RandyKnight said:
Correct. The CF and the light are actualy in a triple gang box with a 3rd switch that's for a fluorecent light but that's neither here nor there.
So you can use a relay switch for the fan. A dimmer or keypad for the light switch master and any kind of Insteon switch or keypad in the remote 3-way location for the light.

If the remote 3-way location does not have a neutral in the box, you can use one of the travelers to get neutral there from the master three-gang box.

The comment about phases, what if you have more than two signallincs? Do you set them up in pairs separately, or link all additional ones to a primary signallinc?

I didn't see it specified in the instructions so I assumed you just keep adding to the main one (and make sure it blinks). However, there were certain locations that I was hoping to add the signallincs that did not blink properly. If you pair them it makes more sense now.

I don't believe the SignaLincs do linking like the other Insteon stuff does. I believe the LEDs are on the SignaLinc strictly as a tool to help you get the first two on opposite phases. If you added a third SignaLinc, you should be able to position it where needed and power it via either phase.

Mike said:
The comment about phases, what if you have more than two signallincs? Do you set them up in pairs separately, or link all additional ones to a primary signallinc?

I didn't see it specified in the instructions so I assumed you just keep adding to the main one (and make sure it blinks). However, there were certain locations that I was hoping to add the signallincs that did not blink properly. If you pair them it makes more sense now.
I think there is some confusion on the blinking lights. As far as I know they are only for determining the phase relationship between one RF Linc and another and to verify that they are within range of each other. There is no linking that I am aware of.

Once you are sure that there is at least one RF Linc on each pahse you can add additional ones anywhere you need them. At that point you just have to make sure each one is within range of another one but not actually paird to it in any way.

Back