Insteon RF

gregoryx

I think they just went "early release" today and I was in the shop yesterday, so... here's a picture. The two "access points" are to replace RFLincs, then the RF remote is supposed to work. I'm on my way out for climbing and a dinner; but I'll try it later tonight or tomorrow after surfing.

The RemoteLinc is big and funky looking, but it has it's own Insteon ID / address, so it looks like it'll just work like a ControlLinc with the RF aspect not detectable by anything else. It'll be interesting to see if I can program it from HouseLinc or PowerHome.

It looks like the new Access Points are part number 2443 and the "Handheld Remote Control" is part number 2440. Neither part number seems to be on the SmartHome / Insteon site yet.

InsteonRF.JPG

Update: the missus is chatting... so we haven't left yet... so I plugged 'em in. :eek:

It works. :eek:

Can't do anything with HouseLinc with it, though, since it isn't an available "device" in HouseLinc. 'Cause of that, it refuses to be part of the device list and just puts itself back into "Unknown Devices" even if I force it to be a ControlLinc. Since HouseLinc is so "smart" that it won't allow me to configure a device that it hasn't "rediscovered" yet (even though I registered it with Auto-Linking), it's not possible to do anything at all with it in HouseLinc.

Manual device-based linking only. Yuck. :eek:
  • There are six on/off buttons. Standard single- and double-taps work, as does hold-to-dim.
  • Linking is hold down the button for 10+ seconds until it beeps and the little light starts flashing instead of solid (as it does whenever a button is being pushed).
  • As soon as a device links to a button, the button is no longer in linking mode, so to link multiple devices to a single button, you have to put that button back in to link mode again. But at least it works with more than one device!
  • Presumably, the only way to eliminate a link at this point is to reset the device (since HouseLinc doesn't work - maybe PowerHome will).
  • Dim and Bright work on whatever the last button pushed was - just like the old X10 controllers.
  • All On and All Off seem to fire all devices pretty quickly; I was worried it would take a while.
  • Performance varies. Sometimes pretty quick; sometimes a second or two of delay. Probably just my house.
  • Multiple button presses do NOT seem to work. It seems I need to wait until the command is received by the device to send another one.
  • Okay... weird one: after a reset, the buttons do nothing... good... then I program one device and anything that used to be on that button is back. I'll have to do another reset or two.
  • Another weird one: using the quick-button (three seconds to link instead of ten) on a KeypadLinc, it linked to the "A" button (third group on a six-button) instead of the load. Weird.
'Nuff for now. Climbing time! :lol:

Gregory,

Congratulations! Since it appears that this equipment is now available, I can give you a few hints on programming with PowerHome (should apply to HouseLinc as well).

PowerHome can program/read the links in the RemoteLinc. However, the RemoteLinc must first be placed into "Link" mode. It doesnt matter which button you press and hold to enter link mode, but you must be in link mode in order to programmatically do links. Presumably, this is a way to save battery power in the remotelinc.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll do my best to help you out.

Edit:

PowerHome can auto-discover the RemoteLinc but you need to add a line to your "models.txt" file in the maps subdirectory. Add the following line:

0005=2440,REMOTELINC

and save the file. Next, add a new Insteon type with a description of "2440 - RemoteLinc" without the quotes. In the checkboxes, only check "Control Only" and set the "Groups" field to 6. Save and you'll now be able to auto-discover, read links, delete links, program links, etc.

Dave.

Did I miss something? Did you get this right off of SmartHome's site, or are you a beta tester, or something else?

Any idea what the RF range is?

Thanks!!

I guess it doesn't show in the picture too well, but the RFLincs say "Prototype" on them and the RemoteLinc says "Engineering Sample Not for Resale".

I live just a few miles from SmartHome's HQ. I was in the store swapping three bad KeypadLincs on Thursday :huh: and they asked if I wanted to be part of testing the new RF remote. They put my name "on the list" then I got a call yesterday to say they were in.

It's some sort of "pre-release" or beta or something. I gave 'em $40 and swapped two of my old RFLincs. It's actually kinda' nice to have us all admit up front that I'm paying for early-release stuff. :D I don't mind.

There was no "Non Disclosure" and I asked specifically to be sure; I like getting early-release toys and I don't want to piss anyone off.

Digger, if SH's selling refurbished Insteon, I haven't seen it. Every switch I've swapped - and it's a lot - has been replaced promptly and politely with a unit with much newer code and a much later address on it. Some of the addresses I'm getting are "getting up there" if they're using numbers only though... gonna run out of unique addresses pretty quick if it takes two or three addresses to get a winner. :p

RF range... let me walk outside and I'll let you know. Okay, I'm getting over 100' through the walls and outside and such. If it's only one wall, it seems much further - but I run out of yard, so I can't test that. To the front of my house, I'm going through a lot of walls and/or concrete and/or aluminum roof, so getting 100' that way seems good.

I wish I could make it not beep.

dhoward, I guess it's time to try out the latest PowerHome again. I keep "trying it out" but haven't found it essential enough to learn it yet. I'm eager to get groups working and VERY eager to use it to reprogram my Elk. ;)

Ahhh... that's kind of a downer, but hopefully if they're making the prototypes public we're close to a release.

Thanks a bunch for the info!

I was hoping for greater range - I have an X10 V572A that I use with X10 keychain remotes to control my driveway lights from 300' away (long driveways suck).

Hopefully something with that kind of range (and a tiny remote) will eventually be available with Insteon.

What does it take for batteries?

I'd guess the range is a LOT more than 100'; that's how far it is going through a few walls. I just don't have one of the units in a location that'll let me test much further and only be going through one wall.

I got the impression that these new RFLincs are "new" beyond this function, so I pulled my other RFLincs out. As such, I don't want to move these to another location since these two locations have given me the best / most reliable Insteon response in the house. Perhaps I'll move one to a front-wall location and see if I can get further away.

The remote is LARGE compared to the old keychain remotes and such. I like those ones and still use them with Insteon through my Elk and a WG800RF. I don't like that they're raw, bare X10 RF.

This unit uses four AAA batteries. I put some new eneloops in it. We'll see how the battery life is.

Although they say "Prototype" on it, the dude at SH (KCLEMENTS as well as Latham) said they thought the units were ready for release and these were just early release... or something like that. FWIW, I guess. :huh:

I need an Insteon controller that can surface mount on a wall... What does the bottom of this thing lool like? Any way to adapt it for wall mounting?

Just flat on the bottom with rubber feeties. You could certainly mount it on a wall, but it's pretty thick. Inch tall, I'd say.

I thought I remember reading that Insteon had some kind of wall mount for this planned, I believe.

Not certain...

Mike Boulanger said:
I thought I remember reading that Insteon had some kind of wall mount for this planned, I believe.

Not certain...
You are correct. IIRC it was supposed to be released sometime in

4Q 2005

I guess they missed. :huh:

Every switch I've swapped - and it's a lot - has been replaced promptly and politely with a unit with much newer code and a much later address on it. Some of the addresses I'm getting are "getting up there" if they're using numbers only though... gonna run out of unique addresses pretty quick if it takes two or three addresses to get a winner.

Do you just walk in and say you have a defective device and they swap it? Or do you have to go through tech support like the rest of us?

I think they may have to recycle the address's at some point. I would love to know how many they have manufactured and how many they have had returned. And also how many went in the garbage after teh 1 year warranty was up for Icons etc.

Back