Interesting uses of home automation

dementeddigital

So, I'm curious about some of the more interesting things that people are doing with home automation.  I think that a lot of us use it to control lights based on motion, time, and security status, and do some things to save energy, but what are some of the more obscure / fun / interesting things people are doing?

• I've heard of someone controlling his ham radio antenna tower based on wind speed.  (It would lower if the wind exceeded some speed to save the antenna from wind damage.)
  • I once had someone pet sitting, and I used the system to notify me when they came over to feed the animals.  It was nice to know they were fed and not destroying the place.
  • I saw mention of someone using a secret pattern of doorbell presses which would open their garage door in case they were locked out.

So what are some of the more obscure / fun things you all are doing with HA?

1. Automatically open my garage door, turn on lights, disarm alarm, and unlock interior door when I drive within a 200m geofence. App has option to ignore geofence notification if phone is locked to prevent unauthorized use of my phone to access my home.

2. Automatically lock interior door and arm alarm when I drive outside a 200m geofence. Alarm is armed in either stay or away mode based on iBeacon proximity state.

I'm not doing this one today, but I've seen others mention that if an exterior motion detector was triggered at night the particular sprinkler zone for that area was triggered to turn on for X duration.

I also know of people, similar to your radio tower, who are automating roof roll off systems for astronomy use. If certain conditions exist (weather) the roof is not able to be opened. This is for people who are obviously doing this sort of thing remotely and have dedicated space/building for this.  

I've had my doorbell trigger my TV to change inputs to display my surveillance system video.

Those are some of the non-light ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I wrote up a top-list vlog entry about stuff, will copy/paste here:

Safety
- automatically lock front door if system is armed and its unlocked
- on burglar alarm, turn on everything (strobe lights, blare metallica, irrigation)
- vacation mode turns on many lights, TV, stereos, etc

Energy
- If room empty according to security motion sensors, shut down room. (not just lights, TV/stereo/etc)
- If window opened, turn off heat
- Start bathroom fan if humidity too high
- If TV turned off and stereo was on TV input, turn off the stereo too

Other
- When i turn the alarm off on my smartphone, the in-ceiling speakers announce weather, gas left in the car. Trying to add commute to work but not working right
- Soil Moisture Sensors tell CQC water level, if it drops too low it gets watered. Self watering using actual readings, y'all
- phone informs server when i'm leaving and coming, so I can do custom activities. (turn up heat, etc)

And obviously a million things with the Echo, but I consider that "home alternative manual control", not "home automation"

And obviously a million things with the Echo, but I consider that "home alternative manual control", not "home automation"

It is.

New old way to do remote control.

I still today play with Geophones which I first read about relating to using it with Homeseer in the early (late 1990's) 2000's.

A geophone is a device that converts ground movement (velocity) into voltage, which may be recorded at a recording station. The deviation of this measured voltage from the base line is called the seismic response and is analyzed for structure of the earth.

The term geophone derives from the Greek word "γῆ (ge) " meaning "earth" and "phone" meaning "sound".

RoyalRumble.jpg

In old house used it as a loosey goosey measurement relating to volume of traffic on the interstate about 1 mile away from the home.  Similiar to today.

pete_c said:
I still today play with Geophones which I first read about relating to using it with Homeseer in the early (late 1990's) 2000's.

Do you use data from them for your automation?  if (NearbyTraffic >= MODERATE_TRAFFIC && NotAwake) { AlarmClockSetting = AlarmClockSetting - 15_MINUTES; }  ;-)

That reminds me of the old Misterhouse.  I think that it would announce earthquakes.

Do you use data from them for your automation?

I play; make it work,  get bored and move on to something else.  

Most recently it was that my regulator clock just stopped.  Why did it do that? Time isn't supposed to stop.

Old design is based on a pendulum swing and the pendulum swing is a natural phenomena occurs due to.....and noticed that there is an obi wan art form (hundreds of years old) to the clockmaker or was my regulator clock just rusty?

From its invention in 1656 by Christiaan Huygens until the 1930s, the pendulum clock was the world's most precise timekeeper, accounting for its widespread use.

During the Industrial Revolution, daily life was organized around the home pendulum clock. More accurate pendulum clocks, called regulators, were installed in places of business and used to schedule work and set other clocks.

The ticks or "beats" should be at precisely equally spaced intervals to give a sound of, "tick...tock...tick...tock"; if they are not, and have the sound "tick-tock...tick-tock..." the clock is out of beat and needs to be leveled. This problem can easily cause the clock to stop working,

Since the pendulum rate will increase with an increase in gravity, and local gravity varies with latitude and elevation on Earth, pendulum clocks must be readjusted to keep time after a move.

I know this is a bit off the main OP ...

Time and automation work hand in hand so I try to get the best time (tinkering) for my automation if that makes any sense?  Unrelated but related; more pieces (bumps in the road). in the transport of automated control; the less accurate/precise it is. 

NTP.png

pete_c said:

It is.

New old way to do remote control.

ACK 1001 apologies pete, I just recorded a new vlog last night, recorded 17 freaking takes. In 16 of them I used your line and gave you credit ("As pete_c on cocoontech brilliantly said..."). I just realized I used the 17th take where I was so damn sick of re-recording a 30 second intro that I forgot it. 

If you come across it, I really wasn't trying to plagiarize you, I was just tired. These videos are a lot harder to record than you'd think.

These videos are a lot harder to record than you'd think.

They are a PITA.  Good thing today is fast computers.  I envy you for your time and patience.

I still utilize a very old program called TMPGEnc made / owned by Pegasys. 

A couple of years ago took a recording of my daughter's birth and first birthday video added a music soundtrack and texted it to her on her birthday. (she said she liked it; but maybe only to make me feel good?)

Kind of went nuts here with my son's birth.  3 cameras on tripods.  One was video and the anesthesiologist helped me doing the video stuff.

For live video stuff here still using those first generation HD mini cams and my SLR does video.  I cannot hold a phone steady enough.

That and for nightime pictures / movies (do moon pictures) use a tripod and extended exposure stuff.

I did recently take a video snippet and put it on you tube as a test.  It's only a couple of minutes long and I had compressed it down to 11Mb which is tiny but I could see the pix elation on it.

What the heck; make the video a CGI and create a virtual IVB for it.

In the late 1990's I was totally thrilled with the miniaturization of videos / Bluetooth technologies putting this stuff on my little Palm based cellular phone just to watch and listen to movies while flying.  Some long flights I would pace in the plane while continuing to listen to my movie with my headsets on (blue tooth).  No one bugged me.  One Lufthansa flight one day took apart my seat to see how they were doing multimedia.  No one did bug me and it did keep me busy on a boring flight.

BTW who should own the following selfie picture?  The monkey or the photographer?

Guessing this ownership (of the picture) thing has gone to court now pitting the photographer against PETA.

monkey.jpg

IVB said:
ACK 1001 apologies pete, I just recorded a new vlog last night, recorded 17 freaking takes. In 16 of them I used your line and gave you credit ("As pete_c on cocoontech brilliantly said..."). I just realized I used the 17th take where I was so damn sick of re-recording a 30 second intro that I forgot it. 

If you come across it, I really wasn't trying to plagiarize you, I was just tired. These videos are a lot harder to record than you'd think.

Thanks for the effort on your videos.  I enjoy watching them and seeing the cool things you are doing.

Thx for the props, all.

pete_c said:
 I envy you for your time and patience.
alas sabbatical is coming to an end, i've started looking for a job. One big is out, if accepted would start in 3 weeks or so. My time for vlogging will be significantly reduced. Although yesterday was the first one in 3 weeks, down from 1x/week, so I guess it can't go much slower.

pete_c said:

Now there's an idea. Maybe I'll give myself back my thick head of hair while i'm at it...

pete_c said:

as

They add safety through appliance and ligthing control. They also secure home through automated door locks. They help increase awareness through security cameras. Increases convenience through temperature adjustment. It also saves money and time (utility bill). It gives complete control to make sure  costs are low with not much effort. Gives you assurance. It is accessible outside town. Keeps a watch on kids.

IVB said:
Thx for the props, all.

alas sabbatical is coming to an end, i've started looking for a job. One big is out, if accepted would start in 3 weeks or so. My time for vlogging will be significantly reduced. Although yesterday was the first one in 3 weeks, down from 1x/week, so I guess it can't go much slower.

as

I'm not sure what you do for work or if you are interested in relocation, but there is a home automation company here in Sarasota, FL looking for a web developer and a Java programmer.  They are called Clare Controls .  I know one or two people who work there, but I haven't kept in close contact with them.  If you're interested, I'll try to make a connection for you.

I don't really know much about the company, but it looks like they do some things very similar to what most of us do and discuss here.  Every so often I toy with the idea of tossing them a resume, but I'm really happy where I am now.

What do you do for work?  I design embedded control systems (both hardware and software) for marine engines and other related boat systems.

Edited to add - I'm jealous of your sabbatical!

Back