"Intro to HA" wmv file now available online

BUT same goes for CQC I guess. Its pretty much a one or two man show as I understand it. They both have good products. I would like to see them both be GREAT products.

That's why we concentrate so hard on product stability. When the product is stable, and the support is primarily how would I do this or that, then the user community can help itself to a very large degree because often end users know better how to do this or that than we do, because we don't have that piece of equipment or that combination of equipment ourselves, but a user often does. So we mostly only have to get involved when it's an actual problem, the bulk of which tend to be network related for the most part, not problems in the product.

So many software companies have X number of more testing and support people for every engineer, where X can be pretty large, which is crazy to me. If you take product stability very seriously, that shouldn't be necessary. They just give up on creating a truely robust product and deal with it reactively instead of proactively. But, unless you started from the ground level with that kind of approach, it's almost impossible to get there after the fact, since it would often require almost a page one rewrite of the product, and almost no company can ever afford to do that. You can't fix the foundation, but you can't stop adding more floors to the building to keep up features-wise, the end result being a kind of shakey building.

Dean thats a very good point. Well said.

While I am happy with my progress with mainlobby (some know I was a little slow on "getting" it. LOL), my big issue is stability. That seams to be your strength. ML appears to be working on that. Hope they nail it. Looking forward to adding dvd and musiclobby. The only real issue i have with ML right now is the stability of the HAI plugin. It simply is not working for me. Otherwise, its addicting. I am sure your product is addicting as well. Had I went with CQC first, I am sure I would have been just a happy (maybe more, dont know) and addicted. Never know what the future holds.

I am sure your product is addicting as well.

You don't know 1/100th of it.

I bought CQC in Sep '05 just to automate my Denon receiver and 1-2 other things, so I could move the HTPC & receiver to the closet. Then I found out all drivers were free, so the stuff I was going to replace anyhow could be integrated for the cost of a serial cable.

23 months and $15K in equipment later, and i'm still not done...

Ah; i haven't even looked at that yet.

I can post it up to a very private location, just send link to you, as it was really dry-run level and as such is even harsher than this one. If you think it adds value, I can post it in public.

If it's anything like the first one you made available the roughness was hardly even noticed. I looked to the content not the quality. If anything the spontaneity made it seem more like I was participating live. It is greatly appreciated.

Ok, I really made a boneheaded move this time - I forgot to link in the gotomeeting phone conference to the PC mic, so you can't hear the telecon participants.

There's still *some* value in watching it as I did the walkthrough of how to do what, so you can see that. I didn't actually repeat the questions or all the convo as, well, I figured it was being recorded. Hence there's massive chunks of dead silence.

Sorry about that, but if the above hasn't turned you off, then here's the 110MB WMV link.

Took two minutes to download it and I'll watch it at my leisure. I'll give you my critique when I'm done watching.

Edit: 10 minutes in and I do miss hearing the callers.

Edit: 40 minutes in and hard to follow because the presentation seems unfocused and random.

There's a new file from this am's class that has the previous issues resolved. Let me know if there's any new ones. The link is in the first post.

The 101 class or the advanced ones?

I'm leaning towards redoing the Interface Editor or the Events Manager again, since those were so ugly the first time around. But, i'm happy to do a 101 class or a hybrid for you as I wouldn't have to record it since the current recording is pretty good. We could do an off-schedule one (ie, Fri nights) if more folks would attend.

Back