Introducing the CastleHUB powered by CastleOS, now on Kickstarter!

Let see, revolv tanked, so that doesn't matter.... I believe most of the other modern systems are using either QNX or a flavor of Linux (which is just fine, either way).  That something is a "black box" doesn't really make it any better (or worse) than something using any other OS.  Older systems with embedded control programming are often a bit more problematic when more modern features are desired.  It's non-trivial to take an embedded system with limited resources and graft multi-tasking and networking onto it.  Not impossible, but not always practical given the considerable limits of CPU and memory on-board.

It's non-trivial to take an embedded system with limited resources and graft multi-tasking and networking onto it.

It is a trivial experience these days.....

Here I just modded a micro router with two NICs / 1 USB port with only a bit of memory and a tiny 400Mhz CPU to chat (serially and via the network) and get its power from my HAI OPII panel.  It was just a read of the methodology of the installation of a base OS on it called OpenWRT (using LuCI)  - guess this is trivial and didn't really involve much time or effort.  Took less than 10 minutes to rewrite the kernel and OS on the microrouter.  Even purchased an expansion board for the micro router giving me some GPIO stuff (and more USB ports).

Procrastinating though again with this endeavor as 400Mhz is too slow for what I want it to do.  But that said also playing with the RPi2 which is way faster than the RPi1 these days...

ChrisCicc said:
The level of derp you are showing is astounding. Last time I checked, HomeKit is an open API available to any iOS app. 

For the level and amount of research you've claimed to have done, I'm surprised you haven't yet realized CastleOS is a software product, and thus has no where to put an encryption chip  :huh:

ChrisCicc said:
That's good news since CastleOS is an app, and not a device, right?

I can make a new avatar for you too, if you'd like. I really don't mind! ;)

ChrisCicc said:
I have never insulted anyone, unless using the word "troll" is an insult these days. 

If you're genuinely curious about the CastleHUB and how it relates to CastleOS, I'd be happy to answer. But it's very clear instead of asking honest questions you're more interested in being personally peeved (why exactly?) at the fact that CastleOS requires another OS layer in its systems architecture. 

It's really sad what you, az, and pvrfan have done to this thread. 

It is perfectly clear who is the troll:  you are.  You've now circled back to the same ridiculous assertions that were discredited weeks ago.  "open api", "CastleOS is an app", etc.  Very lame.

Craig

Did revolv tank? Or, where they purchased and shut down by google in order to protect future interests?  

And again, if Chris had been forthright with what his product is than there wouldn't be an issue.  I can buy the flavor of CastleOS that he is selling and put it on my own PC, him preinstalling it on a pc and selling it doesn't a make a hub.  

nicholass817 said:
Using a manufacturing partner to produce a something of your design is very different than purchasing a barebones PC from a manufacturer that was already making them.

I'm not aware of where the CastleHUB is available for purchase other than from CastleOS? And if we can't use Intel hardware on the inside, what do you recommend we use? 

(Edited to fix typo)

pete_c said:
Like I am currently procrastinating looking at my Amazon Echo box (its been here a while now)....doing the same with a few first generation Microsoft Kinects that I purchased (a few months back).....kind of going in the direction of a hub and spoke methodology of wanting to utilize the Kinects with the tiny new (el cheapo) Atom Baytrail quad core Windows 8.1 lite box (es) that I purchased and a new dual touch wide screen capacitance screen for in wall mounting....

The above said would your software connect to a combo Kinect/Win81/dual touch capacitance screen (metro look) in a hub and spoke fashion with a large CPU/much memory mothership?

Yes to all, save the metro UI. Our tablet layout is not metro and not ideal for wall mounted tablets. However, if you're comfortable building metro apps it's pretty quick and easy to build a custom UI using our API, which is automatically discoverable by metro apps, making development a breeze. 

nicholass817 said:
Did revolv tank? Or, where they purchased and shut down by google in order to protect future interests? 

They tanked. Everyone in the industry knows that. Since you're so knowledgeable about all things home automation, I'm surprised you don't :p

pete_c said:

Here I just modded a micro router with two NICs / 1 USB port with only a bit of memory and a tiny 400Mhz CPU to chat (serially and via the network) and get its power from my HAI OPII panel.  It was just a read of the methodology of the installation of a base OS on it called OpenWRT (using LuCI)  - guess this is trivial and didn't really involve much time or effort.  Took less than 10 minutes to rewrite the kernel and OS on the microrouter.  Even purchased an expansion board for the micro router giving me some GPIO stuff (and more USB ports).

Procrastinating though again with this endeavor as 400Mhz is too slow for what I want it to do.  But that said also playing with the RPi2 which is way faster than the RPi1 these days...

IO is easy, UI is hard.

By the way, about the baytrail chip in the system you are using - just for comparison's sake the CastleHUB is using a haswell chip. More power, same low power consumption.

That low power consumption and plug-and-play functionality are the primary reasons why the CastleHUB is the CastleHUB and not just another computer, in case our dear Nicholas is wondering. 

pete_c said:

It's perhaps non-trivial for some of the old-school embedded systems to add on a lot of what would by considered modern networking features.  Beyond just having an IP interface to their serial port stack, that is.   Not from just a hardware perspective, but from the limitations of both that and the tightly-coupled firmware on it.  That worked in the days of resource-starved systems, but can be a serious bottleneck when compared to much more versatile offerings available now.  

That and what "we" might be able to do is perhaps not indicative of what a larger, more profitable, target market might be willing to undertake.

At this point it might be best to take these conversations to other threads, or let them die.  Clearly there's a gap between the perspectives of the various participants, and this is perhaps no longer an effective thread on which to debate.

ChrisCicc said:
I'm not aware of where the CastleHUB is available for purchase other than from CastleOS? And if we can't use Intel hardware on the side, what do you recommend we use? 

It matches spec with a Zotac OI320...the little brother to the OI520

ChrisCicc said:
They tanked. Everyone in the industry knows that. Since you're so knowledgeable about all things home automation, I'm surprised you don't :p

And again with an insulting response.  Google/Nest purchased them in October of last year, and their kickstarter campaign ended in June-ish.  I don't think starting a company in one year and selling it for a profit the same year would really be considered tanking.

nicholass817 said:
I can buy the flavor of CastleOS that he is selling and put it on my own PC, him preinstalling it on a pc and selling it doesn't a make a hub.  

The CastleHUB is not designed for you, the DIYer. It's designed for the mass market consumer who probably doesn't even have a PC anymore. For some reason that greatly offends you. 

The CastleOS software is available as a standalone product for DIYers and custom integrators. 

the CastleHUB is using a haswell chip

Yup; here the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit mothership I am currently utilizing is using a mITX / picoPSU Intel iSeries Haswell chipset with one of those tiny new (size of my thumb) mSATA cards (well its not called mSATA anymore).  Yesterday upped the memory to 16Gb's cuz 8Gb just wasn't enough for the mothership here.  Doing similar with a mini micro mothership running on an RPi2; now with an RTC clock and automation GPIO interface; well pushing it a bit.

That and what "we" might be able to do is perhaps not indicative of what a larger, more profitable, target market might be willing to undertake.

Yeah and many of the Cocoontech forum users here are automation DIYers. 

There is much banter on this thread....(well better than television and it is not religious or political right now) and maybe its time to ......

nicholass817 said:
It matches spec with a Zotac OI320...the little brother to th OI520

Great, where can you buy one? 

nicholass817 said:
Google/Nest purchased them in October of last year, and their kickstarter campaign ended in June-ish.  I don't think starting a company in one year and selling it for a profit the same year would really be considered tanking.

That statement relies on the assumption they sold the company for profit. I'm not going to speak on behalf of other companies, but it's clear you're not speaking with authority on this question.

pete_c said:
Yup; here the Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit mothership I am currently utilizing is using a mITX / picoPSU Intel iSeries Haswell chipset with one of those tiny new (size of my thumb) mSATA cards (well its not called mSATA anymore).  Yesterday upped the memory to 16Gb's cuz 8Gb just wasn't enough for the mothership here.  Doing similar with a mini micro mothership running on an RPi2; now with an RTC clock and automation GPIO interface; well pushing it a bit.

Yeah too much banter on this thread....(well better than television) and maybe its time to ......

Putting CastleOS/CastleHUB aside, I LOVE the micro PC revolution that is happening. Good for business, good for the environment, and good for users. 

nicholass817 said:
And again with an insulting response.  Google/Nest purchased them in October of last year, and their kickstarter campaign ended in June-ish.  I don't think starting a company in one year and selling it for a profit the same year would really be considered tanking.
Sure, for the players involved it certainly seems great.  Given google's track record of purchase-and-extinguish, though, it's a sad situation for customers.  But at least that's better than Apple's purchase-and-neuter strategy.

As for authority, what is with the fanboys and adopting some rabid sense of ownership for products?  There's got to be some kind of entry in the DSM that covers that neurosis.

Back