Introducing the CastleHUB powered by CastleOS, now on Kickstarter!

ChrisCicc said:

There is so much wrong here it's almost funny. I reply to you only for SEO and legal clarification reasons.

1) I at no point claimed, nor do I intend, for CastleOS to crack any sort of encryption of Apple's. 

2) I'm curious why you think, considering Apple hasn't DMCA'd the various github repositories or Vera Bridge code, that they are going to so strongly come down on users implementing this on their own? Also since it's open source code, who will they sue?

3) I wonder why you have such disdain for me that you disregard everything I say as not credible. 

1. You've linked to a hack using the HomeKit simulator and suggested that Castle can use some similar method.  You're clearly not a member of the Made For iOS program because the non-disclosure agreements would prohibit you from talking about any such thing.  One has to be a member of MFi to get access to the hardware encryption.  Therefore, the only way you could achieve what you've said is to crack or circumvent the encryption.

2. As posted, the has been a takedown notice.  (Thanks elvisimprsntr).

3. You lost credibility:
i) when you announced support for Homekit without any understanding (you thought Homekit was an open API -  #3 ) 
A few minutes of web searching would have shown anyone that HomeKit is another Apple walled garden.   
ii) when faced with a solid explanation of the show-stoppers, you kept insisting that you could make it work -  #5  
Obviously you still had no idea what you were talking about.
iii) when you started attaching those who have done some research and, rather than admit your earlier errors, began labelling them trolls since they pointed out issues and asked questions that you were unprepared to answer.

No matter what you think of Apple personally, they matter.  There were 800 million iOS devices in use [1] a year ago; they sold 61 million iPhones in the last quarter.  The vast majority are on iOS 8 and thus have HomeKit built in.  If even a tiny fraction of that user base buys a HomeKit-enabled accessory, they will quickly have a user base in the millions.  Who else has a market that large?  When Nest pulled their fire alarm product, it was estimated that they recalled 0.4 million units which would have included all their channel inventory.

[1] http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/02/apples-wwdc-2014-in-numbers-40-million-on-mavericks-and-more/
[2] http://www.cnbc.com/id/101694704

So, stay ignorant if you wish but I think you're going to find that things are going to change dramatically.  Betting is that there will be much more news at Apple's WWDC in June [3].

[3] http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/20/new-apple-tv-hardware-with-siri-app-store-and-homekit-said-to-be-planned-for-wwdc/

Craig

Betting?  And what's your vested interest in that?

And when there isn't any news?  What PR spin line will you be spouting then?

Personally I find the dialog more entertaining that watching television or sleeping with my phone.

That is me though. 

elvisimprsntr said:
For the record, Apple did issue one DMCA request to GitHub against a GIST documenting reverse engineered HAP protocol, which a lot of the repos are based on.

https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2014-11-04-Apple.md

Correct  - they DMCA'd the initial research, but not any of the subsequent practical implementations of that research. They certainly had ample time to do so in the last six months, so it's very telling.

pvrfan said:
3. You lost credibility:
i) when you announced support for Homekit without any understanding (you thought Homekit was an open API -  #3 ) 
A few minutes of web searching would have shown anyone that HomeKit is another Apple walled garden.   
ii) when faced with a solid explanation of the show-stoppers, you kept insisting that you could make it work -  #5  
Obviously you still had no idea what you were talking about.
iii) when you started attaching those who have done some research and, rather than admit your earlier errors, began labelling them trolls since they pointed out issues and asked questions that you were unprepared to answer.

The level of derp you are showing is astounding. Last time I checked, HomeKit is an open API available to any iOS app. 

For the level and amount of research you've claimed to have done, I'm surprised you haven't yet realized CastleOS is a software product, and thus has no where to put an encryption chip  :huh:

It is a petty man that resorts to insults...derp? Really?  

And if you would have followed the link that pvrfan provided to az123's post you'd see this: 'The API is open on the APP end.  So anyone can make an app that uses the homekit database.  But it is closed on the DEVICE end.'   

This whole thread is the introduction of the device you call 'Hub', and questions related to said device...with a slew of now missing, defensive comments that insult the people you are trying to appeal to (home automation system integrators that are likely going to need to write code to get your 'hub' to do what's been promised).  

When trying to gain mass appeal for a product you are pushing, a fair amount of honest, integrity, and patience will take you a long ways. 

nicholass817 said:
'The API is open on the APP end.  So anyone can make an app that uses the homekit database.  But it is closed on the DEVICE end.'

That's good news since CastleOS is an app, and not a device, right?

I can make a new avatar for you too, if you'd like. I really don't mind! ;)

Did you not read the entire post? What is your 'hub' that you said supported homekit? What is this thread dedicated to?

And sure, let's see you use PS skills again to insult someone else on this thread instead of building a proper brand and developing your product.

I have never insulted anyone, unless using the word "troll" is an insult these days. 

If you're genuinely curious about the CastleHUB and how it relates to CastleOS, I'd be happy to answer. But it's very clear instead of asking honest questions you're more interested in being personally peeved (why exactly?) at the fact that CastleOS requires another OS layer in its systems architecture. 

It's really sad what you, az, and pvrfan have done to this thread. 

I have asked you honest questions about the 'hub' and you have not responded in any clear manner.  

Who designed the hub?  (your KS campaign implies that you did, Zotac verifies you didn't)
So what is the difference between this and another W8.1 PC?  Is it just the castleHUB software? ​(your response magically gone)

My reason for being peeved is that it appears you have created a brand and marketing strategy that intentionally(?) deceives the end user/general public.  It is evident on your website, kickstarter campaign, and in the posts to this thread that you deleted (suspicious).  My hope is that when people research your products this thread will appear in their searches and they will get a small glimpse at the type of operation you are running...and either agree or disagree with you.

I really, really wanted to find a somewhat open source device that could be spec'd in the projects I build.  CastleHUB/OS could have been just that, but you skimped on actually developing a physical product, and were evasive/insulting in your responses to people with real concerns.  

nicholass817 said:
I have asked you honest questions about the 'hub' and you have not responded in any clear manner.  

Who designed the hub?  (your KS campaign implies that you did, Zotac verifies you didn't)
So what is the difference between this and another W8.1 PC?  Is it just the castleHUB software? ​(your response magically gone)

My reason for being peeved is that it appears you have created a brand and marketing strategy that intentionally(?) deceives the end user/general public.  It is evident on your website, kickstarter campaign, and in the posts to this thread that you deleted (suspicious).  My hope is that when people research your products this thread will appear in their searches and they will get a small glimpse at the type of operation you are running...and either agree or disagree with you.

I really, really wanted to find a somewhat open source device that could be spec'd in the projects I build.  CastleHUB/OS could have been just that, but you skimped on actually developing a physical product, and were evasive/insulting in your responses to people with real concerns.  

Zotac is our manufacturing partner. I'm curious what other home automation companies out there also manufacture their own hubs? I'm not aware of any, except maybe the new SmartThings hub coming later this year now that Samsung is making it. But even then, SmartThings is just using a parent company's assets, it's not doing it on it's own.

I'm also not aware of a single other home automation controller that does not require an OS layer in its systems architecture like Windows or Linux. So I guess you must be peeved with the whole industry? 

Further, the answers to your questions are all clearly outlined on our own forums when other customers have asked us questions. Also, quite a few customers are migrating from CastleOS on their home PCs to the CastleHUB, and have discussed doing so publicly. 

If you had bothered to check them out or ask me honest questions instead of attacking here without justification, this conversation could have happened very differently. 

Like I am currently procrastinating looking at my Amazon Echo box (its been here a while now)....doing the same with a few first generation Microsoft Kinects that I purchased (a few months back).....kind of going in the direction of a hub and spoke methodology of wanting to utilize the Kinects with the tiny new (el cheapo) Atom Baytrail quad core Windows 8.1 lite box (es) that I purchased and a new dual touch wide screen capacitance screen for in wall mounting....

The above said would your software connect to a combo Kinect/Win81/dual touch capacitance screen (metro look) in a hub and spoke fashion with a large CPU/much memory mothership?

broker_networks_09.gif

Again with an evasive and defensive response.

Using a manufacturing partner to produce a something of your design is very different than purchasing a barebones PC from a manufacturer that was already making them.

Besides...revolv, insteon, UDI, wink, HAI, Elk, etc. were all designed by the respective companies, and all run independent OSs as far as I'm aware.

I have read posts on your forums and see similar evasive responses. I also refuse to post anything on a forum that you control. Your meager attempt at censorship here is the reason why.

And where exactly in this thread were you attacked...at most I poked fun at your idea of a product offering and called you out for being somewhat deceptive.

wkearney99 said:
Betting?  And what's your vested interest in that?

And when there isn't any news?  What PR spin line will you be spouting then?
Well, there are these other things.  Maybe you've heard of Apple Watch? HBO Now?  They are also thought to be working on a new music streaming service.  Oh, and CarPlay.  And then there is the stuff that hasn't leaked.  HomeKit is just one iron in the fire* and not a very big one.

Craig
*"Iron in the fire" is an expression meaning "project being worked on".  Just as "betting" is an expression meaning "consensus of opinion".  

Back