IP DVR, IP cameras, or network encoder?

cestor

I am trying to choose a home security CCTV solution and would welcome some input as to the best option. 

There will be up to 8 outdoor cameras in locations which have up to 30m of conduit running to them, and no local power supply.
I would like PTZ capability and the ability to integrate live video with touchscreens (maybe through CQC) and Android clients. Also a nice to have would be the ability to trigger recording based on zone inputs.

The three possible solutions I am debating are:

1. IP PoE cameras such as Foscam
2. IP DVR using cheap analogue cameras
3. IP network encoder - e.g. http://www.onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk/ip-encoders/samsung-spe-400-quad-encoder.html

What would people generally recommend? - I don't have a huge budget for 8 axis cameras...

Typically the better stuff relates to a higher budget.  That said you can DIY everything.

I have over the years kept the camera endeavors / pricing so forth and so on separate from the DVR stuff. 

On the analog side it was just getting better stuff (cameras) even though it was always SD views; IE: lens, build of camera etc.  Limiting factors here was just the SD view.  That said it also affecting the CCTV DVR.  There was less storage involved recording IP SD Events than IP HD events.

The prices of the IP cameras have gone down some.  Initially it was standard view IP (SD) and now its HD view IP cameras.  You do get better for your money but more money buys the best.

Historically and relating to CCTV I have always used ZoneMinder (http://zoneminder.com) (http://zoneminder.com).  Initially it was being utilized only for analog cams with one 8 port 8 chip capture card.  Over the years I added IP SD cameras to the mix.  Thinking the very first one was a Panasonic PT IP SD camera.  Its still functioning fine today after many years.  I also played with the Foscam PT cameras.  I recently started to play with Grandstream cameras and Grandstream OS camera boards.  Its more related to just becoming familiar with the Grandstream OS rather than the hardware.

Most recently have mixed in an encoder such that I can still have analog output video from the CCTV's and utilized the now two ZM boxes; one a mix of analog and IP and the other pure HD IP.

In a short recap; its up to you and whether you want to purchase an off the shelf solution or create your own solution.  Here I have a mix.  The base CCTV software is free; the learning curve is not (in a virtual sense).  I do have a mixture of analog and digital cameras connected to one software based DVR and it works just fine for me.  I purchased an encoder (Grandstream) to ease my migration and use of my Leviton HAI OPII Video hub to Omnitouch legacy touchscreens.  The variety of cameras, monies spent, technology utilized is a whole different "bucket" of sorts.  Personally a good CCTV DVR will work with the two technologies (analog and digital).  PT and PTZ is changing.  Old was using the wire and serial connectivity.  New is virtual and in the software.  There was a standard relating to PTZ using a serial wire.  I am thinking today there is no real standard for the means of using PT/PTZ via software.  The language utilized / command structure varies between MFGs.

Relating to touchscreens and android clients; there is plenty of integration per mfg / software stuff; but I don't think there is a one size fits all integration unless you DIY it or pay for an off the shelf solution.

Personally here for me its been a DIY "and" more than "or" relating to your OP.

I'd personally look at Grandstream and BlueIris.  Cameras are affordable and POE powered; and the software is affordable and easy to set up and use and monitor local and remotely.

Cester, if your looking to save a few bucks and still install a system, I would pull the rg59 for analog cameras but also pull either another run of either Cat5e or Cat6. This way when it comes time to switch over to IP cameras, you have everything there. I personally dealt with a manufacturer in china and told them that I wanted to "research" their cameras. They sent me 8 cameras cheap! It's been about 3 years and the cameras are still working great connected to a Speco DVr.

The biggest difference between an analog and digital (IP) system, to me, is resolution. Having said that, I recently received one of the GrandSteam cameras that Work2Play was speaking of above. I wanted to do a quick comparison of the resolution difference to provide to a client.

The current system that I have in place is analog. The camera is rated at 720TVL and my DVR is recording at the highest resolution 704x480 (D1).
The GrandStream camera that I have is the 3610_HD, which is capable of 1280x960. It wasn't until after I got the screen captures that I realized the default setting is 1280x920.

Note that I was standing on a ladder, with the GrandStream camera in one hand, and was capturing snapshots via laptop with my other hand. I didn't spend the time to do any color/image adjustments to the GrandStream camera; it was completely on default settings.

I couldn't find a way to get the gallery here to allow a full resolution picture, but since I placed the images on the same document, they would be scaled the same. Here is a comparison (analog on the left, IP on the right):

index.php

In the end, I have taken the following approach - there are areas which need high-res and other areas where low-res is adequate. I have gone with the Grandstream GXV3504 encoder and analogue cameras in the low-res locations and will be using IP cameras for the high-res points.

Here is a picture depicting resolutions with the Ubiquiti Aircam. 

Aircam was modded to utilizing a 28mm lens.  Notice the borders are a bit fuzzy.

This is where the above mentioned Grandstream with a variable lens adjustment will provide an optimal and sharply defined view.

It is posted more to show the difference in sizes of the RTSP resolutions.

It is utilizing VLC to snapshot each resolution.

These are "looked" at with Polybytes Polyview clipped and pasted to a Microsoft Visio drawing where text is added.

A copy all from Visio back to Polyview then a JPG save keeping resolution.  If I change the properties so less than 100% quality; then picture size is smaller but resolution remains the same.

The attached composite was close to 1Mb.  I reduced JPG image quality to 92% to save the composite image at around 500k.

Saved file size via forum compression is 228.73 KB and the size of the attached file is 1297X1561

R-1d.jpg

Back