IP Storage

Earlier quote in thread:
> Multiple devices can be linked together to create a larger
> virtual drive with designated individual private, hidden or
> shareable drive volumes.

Later quote:
> This sounds to me like its what MS will do with multiple
> drives. It makes one large drive, but no redundancy.

I'm dying to know how people are getting around this issue. I have a 1.5 TB library server to maintain all of our video files; however, I have yet to find something that allows me to show them as a single file resources/share. While I realize I can map *folders* to different drives with MS, this doesn't help. My media center (XBMC) won't allow me to browse cros-drive or cross-folder. I have to explicitly choose each.

Does anyone have a solution for creating a single appearance share to expose the files from multiple drives? I had considered writing a short script that aggregated all of the shortcuts into a single drive; however, my media center won't interpret standard MS sharing (SAMBA style) shortcuts, I don't believe.

Thank you in advance!

The Buffalo Terastation is the ultimate in IP storage! Just wish I could afford one. It has all the features you all are looking for... Gigabit, RAID 5, supports Windows, Linux, Audreys. Plus it has a web interface, can email you, you can set up timed automatic backups, and lots of other cool features.

And it looks cool too:
TeraStation_01_300.gif

rusten said:
Does anyone have a solution for creating a single appearance share to expose the files from multiple drives? I had considered writing a short script that aggregated all of the shortcuts into a single drive; however, my media center won't interpret standard MS sharing (SAMBA style) shortcuts, I don't believe.

Thank you in advance!
If all the drives are connected to 1 machine running windows xp or windows 2003 you can create a directory to share say c:\share.

Then link each drive as a subfolder under that share. This would give you the appearance of 1 directory with multiple subdirectory's.

StevenE

markthomas said:
The Buffalo Terastation is the ultimate in IP storage! Just wish I could afford one. It has all the features you all are looking for... Gigabit, RAID 5, supports Windows, Linux, Audreys. Plus it has a web interface, can email you, you can set up timed automatic backups, and lots of other cool features.
I had ordered the terastation, and had spent some time testing it. It looks nice, It's small and pretty quiet.
That round circle on the front has several led's to display drive status and drive activity.

Very easy to setup and configure raid levels.

I had to return the unit after speaking with tech support. They use a journaling file system and that caused some problems for me.

I intended to store a large amount of small files, 3 million +. After about 300,000 files the unit slowed down to an unbearable crawl. The Journaling system just could not keep up with the file index.

Still a very nice unit, would have been nice for home :)

StevenE

I assume that thing runs linux? If it does, ask tech support to create a version of the OS which uses a different filesystem.

Back