IPTouch

Has anybody tried the new IPtouch touchpads from Touchtronix? I would be interested in a review of them.

I haven't tried them yet, but have read all of the documentation, and had some corrospondence with their company. Their new screens are pretty nice based on the specs, and the Ncomputing system is pretty rock solid.

If you do hear any first hand reviews, please make sure to share them, as I am interested in installing these touch screens too.

I was needing several touchscreens and was curious about blanking out the screen instead of sleep mode, if you touch one screen will they all come on at the same time because of blanking at the computer?

I was needing several touchscreens and was curious about blanking out the screen instead of sleep mode, if you touch one screen will they all come on at the same time because of blanking at the computer?

The new ipTouch monitors include a screen backlight timer function. The timer can be set from 15 seconds to 8 hours. After no touch activity for the preset time, the backlight on the LCD turns off, and wakes up again on the next touch. The NComputing portion always stays on.

-Dwayne (TouchTronix)

Dwayne, are these based on RDP technology under the hood, or are they more like BeTwin with actual separate sessions? I.e. do you have a separate video card (or a separate head on a multi-head video card) for each session? And does each one really see a completely separate Windows session with separate login and all that?

Dwayne, are these based on RDP technology under the hood, or are they more like BeTwin with actual separate sessions? I.e. do you have a separate video card (or a separate head on a multi-head video card) for each session? And does each one really see a completely separate Windows session with separate login and all that?
Dwayne will obviously be the expert here, but based on what I have read from N-computing, each touchscreen (using a Ncomputing device) is its own seperate session on the remote PC, so it is not like RDP. The new N-computing device that Touchtronix is using, communicates to the host PC over a traditional IP network, through the standard NIC in the host PC; so no need for a multi-head video adapter.

This gives each screen the ability to have a completely unique session on the remote PC. Essentially, each screen is a fully functional PC session, with a touchscreen interface loaded on it...but there is no reason why you couldn't exit the interface, and open a web browser or other application.

The older N-computing devices used a propriatary network, that connected to the host PC through a special PCI card, but now it is all over IP.

One of the big draws for me to this system, is the fact that you only need to run one Cat5e/6 cable to each screen for network. The other thing I like is that the IP touch comes standard with the ability to use either a LV power over 18/2 from a central location, or a direct HV connection at the screen. So if you wanted to used LV, you would run one Cat5e/6 and one 18/2 to each screen, if you used HV, you would run one Cat5e/6; but you would need a HV commenction at the screen for this setup.

Sounds interesting. If it proves robust, it could be a good option for us in professional systems. Centralized maintenance is a big thing for our installers. Even if the price, overall, wasn't much different from other options, as long as the performance is good and the stability is there, something like this could be a better choice. Our customer's user interfaces tend to be fairly graphics heavy, with lots of alpha blending. If there's no real video card, that means that all the video driver functions have to be happening in a memory based graphics context and then blitted over. So the performance might be somewhat of an issue, I dunno. Generally without on-board video card support, heavy use of alpha blending can cause the blinkies.

I did a review of the first model HERE. These are very nice units that require minimal maintenance. Best of all these units were DESIGNED to go inside of a wall so you don't have to worry about the over-heating aspects which are present using a conventional desktop touchscreen.

I didn't know but Mark had already ordered one to test out, so I guess we'll be finding out if it's something that works for us here soon.

Dean, it should work for you. I run one in my own home (with MainLobby, of course) and it works out well.
Dwayne has mine for a firmware / hardware upgrade now for control over the display on / off.
Don't see any reason why it wouldn't also work with CQC.

I can't decide between the RelayTouch or ipTouch, so I just ordered the Wall Mounting Kits for now and will keep and eye on this thread to see what you all think of the ipTouch. Thanks.

Back