IR distribution and control

jmark71

Ok Guys,

After searching around for the past few days, I'm getting a little lost with lots of various potential solutions that all seem to be missing something or another (or maybe it's just me missing some vital piece of information).

Here's the general plan...

In the centralized location, I plan to locate a 4x8 or 8x8 matrix switcher (to be bought - still mulling over HDMI vs. Component and whether I can/want go with a non-RS-232 solution) along with 3 DirecTV boxes and an HTPC server. From each TV location (zone) I want to be able to control each source component, probably via IR (but I'm open to suggestions). The issue I foresee is that the DirecTV boxes will likely all react to the same signal being sent when I only want one box to react. There appear to be a few solutions - the first of which might be the best, although not necessarily terribly scalable over time should more boxes be added or other multiple same-brand components:

1) Set up the 3 boxes to use distinct IR codes (apparently the later boxes all support several sets of codes). This should work, although each universal remote control (suggestions for appropriate sub-$200 remotes?) in each location will need to then make sure that the 'device' being controlled is set appropriately each time I change video sources via the matrix switch (Harmony remotes seem inherently setup to be good at this, are there others?).

2) Use a Xantech IR router (such as this). This appears to allow me to send an IR code down the pipe that first tells the router which component to control followed by the appropriate IR codes to actually control the device. This seems to be a more elegant and scalable solution to me, but I don't quite get how I combine multiple IR receivers into the input of this device (it has 1 input and 8 addressable outputs).

3) Use CQC and a combination of RS-232/IR (maybe using a GC-100? BTW, how does that unit work - I don't quite GET it?) to control all devices. This is definitely something I want to do down the line, but it will always likely be the 'redundant' approach as I won't always have a CQC IV in front of me and I certainly don't want the WAF to go completely awry when/if the CQC server goes down and Oprah turns into a black screen!

Any suggestions on the best way to distribute control of devices given that the centralized closet will hold most all of the equipment (single DVD/Blu-ray and game consoles will likely remain at appropriate viewing locations).

Thanks,
Mark

Edit: Oh, yeah - wiring isn't an issue... I have access to each room via either basement or attic and there are 2" conduits sent to each major room on each floor.

Hi, Mark.

I built a new home in 2007. I have four DirecTV HD DVRs in a separate closet with the rest of my AV, network, servers, and home automation equipment. I ran the following to each TV location: HDMI (the two 75' runs have repeaters), component, coax, and 22-4 for the IR. All four DVRs have different IR addresses, so the Harmony One remotes can handle each independently. The only things at the viewing areas is the TV and IR receiver. In the Family Room, I also have 7.1 surround speakers. The other locations use the speakers that are part of the TV.

I've been very pleased with the setup, and the clean, uncluttered look at the TV locations is most welcome.

Kevin

If you go with CQC or some other computer based solution, you can look at the USB-UIRT. It allows up to three distinct output zones. However, one of those zones is the open air blaster. So you would have to place the usb-uirt where it can see at least one of the directtv boxes. The other two zones are used via the stick on emitters. So you could stick the emitters on two of the boxes and shield the rest of the IR sensor while the third box's IR sensor is left uncovered to see the usb-uirt open air blaster. So all three boxes could use the same IR code and the computer would determine which box to send the signal to.

But that would require a normal IR distribution system that had the different IR receivers attached to it from all over the house. Then that system would output to the USB-UIRT - into CQC or other software system - and then be emitted back out via the USB-UIRT to the sat boxes. So while that process should occur very, very fast, it is adding another step or two in the chain of commands which would result in a slightly slower system than using a zoned IR system alone.

BTW - it looks like that zoned IR system you linked to requires a proprietary IR remote to program it which costs another $100. So make sure you figure out the total cost when comparing options.

On a side note - if you have any thought about automating your home, I would suggest that you spend the extra money and get serial or network controlled devices every chance you get. So switchers, STBs, TVs, home theater recievers, etc, etc, etc. You'll be much happier in the long run and have a much more controllable house if you do.

Thanks guys...

Kevin, you've basically done what I want to do and it sounds like the distinct codes and Harmony route may well be the simplest and easiest way to go...

Brian, I was wondering about the speed of things actually, so I'm glad that wasn't an invalid concern, but the USB-UIRT does give me some more research avenues before my ultimate decision :unsure: BTW, do you have any other suggestions for an IR-zoned solution?

I'll do my best to heed the all-serial suggestion too... some of the matrix units I've looked at include IR-zoning (unfortunately including an otherwise very nice Aton HDR44 unit) but don't include RS-232 control, which likely relegates them to the 'avoid' stack unfortunately.

You probably have your plan all mapped out, but when I was contemplating the same thing and looking at switchers, good quality video cabling, repeaters/baluns, IR, etc I just decided to go with something like SageTV and media extenders. It simplified the whole thing down to a simple Cat5 to each TV area. It may be a little more expensive by the time you get extenders and HD PVR's, etc to get your DirectTV HD into it, but it really simplified the whole thing and works well.

Thanks guys...

Brian, I was wondering about the speed of things actually, so I'm glad that wasn't an invalid concern, but the USB-UIRT does give me some more research avenues before my ultimate decision :unsure: BTW, do you have any other suggestions for an IR-zoned solution?

I actually use a basic single zone IR distribution system that takes several IR receivers from around the house and outputs everything to a USB-UIRT. I use CQC so CQC is receiving that communication from the USB-UIRT and deciding how to act. However, at this point most of my equipment is RS-232 controlled. So I don't have to send out a IR blast to control objects. In stead, CQC sends those commands via serial or network wires. So when I press the "watch DVD" button on my remote, everything seems to happen immediately. There is some built in lag time with some of my commands to ensure that devices are ready (for example I have to wait about 10 seconds after turning on the TV before it will accept any more commands), but the initial process starts immediately upon my pressing the button. If the system had to send out an IR blast, it would probably be delayed a few milliseconds while it blasted those out, but I don't think the delay would be long enough to be noticable most of the time and shouldn't be long enough to annoy anyone.

Steve raises a good point about using Sage. While I built my system before the Sage HD extenders were available, personally I would still go with a matrix switch in my situation. I don't rip DVDs so I need a DVD player, and we also have game consoles and other devices that we want to be able to distribute. But for many people, the Sage solution is going to meet their needs. We use Sage and their HD extenders at our house, but they are just one more input that you can choose from.

Back