IR Distribution Questions

dwalder

Guys, I have a situation where I need to mount a little RF reciever next to my plasma TV and "route" the IR signals to a closet behind the TV. (This type of situation is simmilar to a home entertainment center where all the components are in a cabbinet)

In anycase I seem to like the offerings of Xantech, however, I keep seeing some devices that are "Plasma Proof". I do have a Plasma tv in this location and was wondering how important is it to use a IR reciever that is "Plasma Proof"? Will not all the singals get through, or only some of them? The price differance is about $150.00 and this is my primary reason for asking.

Thanks,

DWalder

"Plasma televisions and monitors are notorious for emitting a tremendous amount of EMI and RFI emissions from their surfaces. These emissions involve so many frequencies at such intense levels that traditional IR sensors are not able to distinguish between the remote control's IR commands and the overwhelming amount of background noise in the room."

You really should use it. Let me find some pricing info later on Proficient Audio's set up. I dont think its that high.

You want an RF reciever to transfer IR to a closet some distance away?

I duno if you know but with RF you probably can have the reciever right with the equipment, depends on the distance and range.

Cheapo powermids have done that for me, might look at them at radio shack. They aren't marked plasma proof but haven't had a problem with mine.

If just remote IR without the RF my plasma proof IR kit is only $75, so somethings wrong somewhere.

Back