IR interference with LCD TV?

Mike

I picked up a Samsung 32" LCD (LN-3253H I believe was the model) and found something I did not expect: I use IR recievers (Xantech 291-10) in the remote rooms, connected to a 4 zone Xantech IR system and the feedback light is on constantly but only when the TV is on. If I shield the eye by moving it beneath a table the light goes out)

This has been in use in that room previously without issue. What I found was that when the TV is on, the red feedback light is on constantly. It does seem to flash when actual IR signals are emitted, but the feedback light goes out when the tv is off.

For Plasma I would have expected something like this, but I had not expected this for LCD.

Has anyone else seen this? Do I need a plasma friendly or CFL friendly IR eye to compensate for this (not what 'this' is)?

It is because of the LCD TV. Xantech makes an LCD friendly version of the Dinky Link (480-85*) specifically for this issue.

Thanks. I knew there were CF friendly, and plasma friendly, I never noticed LCD friendly units.

EDIT: Hmm, is CF friendly and LCD friendly the 'same' thing? If a unit is stated to be CF friendly, should it be LCD friendly? In some cases they are noted to be both, but in others, just CF friendly.

I have a Xantech receiver that is not plasma friendly and I was having the same problem as you (my model is http://xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_172.htm). I read somewhere that putting a "few" layers of Glad Press and Seal over the revceiver would be enough to block the plasma interference. I tried it and it worked! I think I ended up using 8 layers of press and seal. There was still a small touch of intererence but not enough that in got in the way of my remotes working.

Heck, if it doesn't work then you can still wrap your lunch :huh:

Cheers.

Thanks. I knew there were CF friendly, and plasma friendly, I never noticed LCD friendly units.

EDIT: Hmm, is CF friendly and LCD friendly the 'same' thing? If a unit is stated to be CF friendly, should it be LCD friendly? In some cases they are noted to be both, but in others, just CF friendly.

Back