Is it ok to put a keypad inside a closet?

I have a KPAS as well.
If you're looking to mount it with a gang of switches you can buy a low voltage ring designed just for this. It will slide onto the existing box:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-Add-On-Bracket-SC100SCR/100112266#.UdcBsV_D9dg

To fit with this thread... I have a KPAS that I haven't installed yet in my office because it would be seen straight through the door only 10' away. I've been meaning to get some curtains for it.

Work2Play said:
The keypad's wiring is separate from the speaker, although the KP2's hide an SP12 speaker behind them quite nicely (but they do require separate wiring)...

I went with the KP2 because I think it looks great flush mounted in the wall - and I like having them by each major entrance as well as in the master; I'd do it in the closet only if using touchpads as a main interface and using the keypad just as a backup.

Work2Play.

Could you tell me how I need to hide the SP2 speakers behind the ELK-M1KP2 keypad. I only have the CAT6 wiring.

As you know from my other recent post I am getting the Elk/ISY994i and Insteon. I would like those elk verbal warnings to come through the speakers. However all I have is the CAT 6 cable.

As I understand the keypad it self will need the four CAT6 wires. Can I somehow use 2 of the remaining 4 CAT 6 wires to make a SP12 speaker work?....Keep in mind, I am using the Elk M1DBH M1 Databus Hub. So the other end of the keypad CAT6 will have to plug into it. Will that end work fine with just the four wires? And how exactly do I wire the RJ45 with just the four wires and still work with the databus hub (Which of the eight holes needs to be wired with the four remaining wires).

Thank you!

You need six of the eight wires in the CAT6 cable for your installation.  Refer to the OPTION A figure on page 12 of the ELK M1G installation manual.  In a pinch, you can use the whiteblue/blue pair for your speaker, but it would be MUCH better to find a way to run 18/2.  Perhaps you can locate the speaker based on wiring access.

jpmargis said:
You need six of the eight wires in the CAT6 cable for your installation.  Refer to the OPTION A figure on page 12 of the ELK M1G installation manual.  In a pinch, you can use the whiteblue/blue pair for your speaker, but it would be MUCH better to find a way to run 18/2.  Perhaps you can locate the speaker based on wiring access.

Work2Play said:

Thanks!

Back