Is it safe to pull apart touchscreen to wall mount it?

robolo

In this [topic="7919"]thread[/topic] Digger cautions against pulling apart a touchscreen to wall mount it. I was wondering how many others have actually done this? Is it something that should be avoided without question? Please give me your opinions.

In this [topic="7919"]thread[/topic] Digger cautions against pulling apart a touchscreen to wall mount it. I was wondering how many others have actually done this? Is it something that should be avoided without question? Please give me your opinions.

I tried not to say it cant be done but that you just have to be careful depending on the type of screen etc.

If it is fed with a Class 2 power supply most likely you would be ok (although still potential for a shock hazard if there is a step up circuit such as an inverter). If it is fed with mains voltages you should be careful of fire and shock hazards.

Be careful, I took one apart once and have not stopped since.

See TouchTronix

-Dwayne (manufacturer)

See TouchTronix

-Dwayne (manufacturer)
Dwayne, am I correct in assuming that you're with TouchTronix? If so please email me at [email protected]. Your salespeople stink at returning phone calls. I've been waiting for two weeks..........

I have done several Open Frame type conversions to wall mount. I have not read the other posts, but here are a few thoughts:

1) ventilation - remove all of the insulation above the mount, and consider a small vent or grill at the very top near the ceiling. This is especially true if its large, or an older model. Older touch monitors tend to have less efficient inverters to power the backlights.

2) power - do not mount your AC/DC power brick (or wall-wort type) inside the wall These "consumer" type power supplies need to be in an open area. Instead, extend the DC side wire to the nearest AC plug. You can use a blank wallplate with a drilled hole and low voltage backbox to bring the DC wire through the wall near your AC outlet. Use a voltage drop calculator to determine the maximum voltage drop over your gauge or wire and distance. Most monitors will handle a small voltage drop without problem.

3) dust - if the touch glass is not completely sealed against the LCD glass, try to seal it off before you do the final mount. Else over time dust will creep into the gap.

-Dwayne (TouchTronix)

See TouchTronix

-Dwayne (manufacturer)

Does that mean if a 7" touchscreen finds its way to you, that you'll take it apart and begin producing smaller sizes? I'm in!

Does that mean if a 7" touchscreen finds its way to you, that you'll take it apart and begin producing smaller sizes? I'm in!

I have an 8.4 in the works, chassis design is almost complete. I will post photos of the first prototype, probably in late August.

-Dwayne (TouchTronix)

Digger - thanks for the clarification. In my situation my wife will only allow unobtrusive wall installations (read - flush mount). Seeing the relative cost of ELO panels on ebay was wondering if the conversion was a DIY process or not. Reading your initial post made me rethink the idea of conversion. Although I have to swallow hard to get past the $$ of a Touchtronix, it may be best to leave it in the hands of people like Dwayne.

On that note, Dwayne- how about a one time powerbuy for Cocoontech'ers?

What would you propose?

For a limited period of time (perhaps 2 weeks?) forum members can place orders for the product and be given a discounted price of whatever you can offer (Don't know your profit margin but I would love to see 20% off). Would need to make sure this would not violate any forum policy.

What would you propose?

For a limited period of time (perhaps 2 weeks?) forum members can place orders for the product and be given a discounted price of whatever you can offer (Don't know your profit margin but I would love to see 20% off). Would need to make sure this would not violate any forum policy.

I wasn't planning on purchasing until sometime around December, but if this could happen, I would purchase 3.

I have an 8.4 in the works, chassis design is almost complete. I will post photos of the first prototype, probably in late August.

-Dwayne (TouchTronix)

IPTouch (UTMA) or regular touchscreen?

Let me know if you need real world testers :)

Dwayne,
Don't leave me hangin....what about the powerbuy idea? I would be looking for the ipTouch with the Sharp monitor- 121S
robolo

Back