Is This a Good Touch Screen?

upstatemike

Looking for a touch screen with the following requirements:

1) Countertop/Tabletop for easy relocation (rules out Elk TS07 or HSTouch)

2) Silent (Rules out most UMPCs with a fan or hard drive)

3) Built-In Speakers (rules out Touchtronix)

I found this one on ebay which I could use with a Cybex LongView and a "noisy" host PC in the basement. Does anybody know if this is a decent model?

It says it's a resistive touch screen, so you'll likely need to use the edge of your finger (almost a nail). It looks decent.

I found this one on ebay which I could use with a Cybex LongView and a "noisy" host PC in the basement. Does anybody know if this is a decent model?

What about the samsung Q1U SSDXP? It's the newest UMPC from samsung except the hard drive is solid state so no spinning parts. I ordered one about 3 weeks ago and it's supposed to arrive next wednesday. The only drawbacks I've heard about it is it's glossy finish shows fingerprints a lot and the docking station isn't yet available but it should be soon (i hope).

Kyle

What about the samsung Q1U SSDXP? It's the newest UMPC from samsung except the hard drive is solid state so no spinning parts. I ordered one about 3 weeks ago and it's supposed to arrive next wednesday. The only drawbacks I've heard about it is it's glossy finish shows fingerprints a lot and the docking station isn't yet available but it should be soon (i hope).

Kyle

Kyle, good grief, THREE weeks? Hopefully thats a stocking issue, if not - advise of what vendor to stay away from LOL.

Kyle

Nice device but probably overkill for my touch screen needs (built in camera, etc.)

Just a quick point of clarification: HSTouch™ is a software designer program, not a piece of hardware.... and it's designed to run on any Win or WinCE based touchscreen (inwall, portable, tabletop, etc...).

-Mark

Just a quick point of clarification: HSTouch™ is a software designer program, not a piece of hardware.... and it's designed to run on any Win or WinCE based touchscreen (inwall, portable, tabletop, etc...).

-Mark

Sorry, it is a little unclear from the HS forum where it talks about the software and also a screen that will be sold with HSTouch pre-loaded on it (been trying to get Rich to commit to offering a tabletop version)... What is the correct name for the hardware screen that Homeseer will be selling?

resistive screens work with "anything". soft edge, credit card edge, finger, elbow, whatever. They work with pressure.

resistive screens work with "anything". soft edge, credit card edge, finger, elbow, whatever. They work with pressure.
I guess I'd better clarify that soft edges and resistive screens call for bigger buttons (touch areas).

This may be a question more than an answer. Archos makes a personal video recorder (Archos 704), it is a wifi touchscreen. I have an older model which if the same has built in speakers, a kickstand for tabletop use and is relatively silent. What I don't know, forgive my technical incompetence, is can you load external software to it such as homeseer, mainlobby or cqc.

Mike

This may be a question more than an answer. Archos makes a personal video recorder (Archos 704), it is a wifi touchscreen. I have an older model which if the same has built in speakers, a kickstand for tabletop use and is relatively silent. What I don't know, forgive my technical incompetence, is can you load external software to it such as homeseer, mainlobby or cqc.

Mike

Since the Archos does not look like it runs a Windows operating system, then you won't be able to "load" any of the Windows based software products you mention.

You may be able to view HTML scenes in the embedded browser that that Archos apparantly supports. All three support HTML browser access.

There may be a hack available that provides for a Remote connection to a PC running your choice of Home Automation software. I haven't checked if this is available or not. Not sure what OS the device is running, my guess is Linux.

Back