Looking for your two cents on a touch screen for my insteon setup

Hey all,

After going through the forums and countless hours of research I have decided to go with insteon products for my home automation system.

Through some suggestions in the forum and online research, I am going to purchase the ISY-99i/IR PRO INSTEON Compatible Automation Controller with Dual-Band PLM and IR Control from SmartHome for local and remote management.
Link to ISY-99i/IR Pro

On SmartHome, there are very few touch screen options. The one I found there, which seems to be the most popular is the TouchLinc. It requires HouseLinc 2 INSTEON Desktop Software with USB Interface to be programmed.

I've had my mind set on using Homeseer to control everything. So my questions are, can I use Homeseer to program the TouchLinc? Or will I have to use both HouseLinc 2 to program the TouchLinc, and Homeseer for everything else. Its been hard finding a clear answer on this. I am mainly asking this question because there is a considerable cost difference between the Touchlinc and the Homeseer HST-IW07 - 7" In-wall LCD Touchscreen. $450 difference

Or maybe go this angle. There are apps for both android and apple, maybe I should just pickup a cheap ipad 1 or android tablet and mount it to the wall!

Maybe there is a better screen out there thats a little more cost efficient than I have been able to find? Thanks in advance for your two cents!

Suggestions:
1. Buy an iPad and a wall mount enclosure. eKeypad software will keep you technology current. :mellow:
2. Buy an Android touchscreen. Less expensive than iPad. ElkDroid software will drive it.

Thanks for the reply spanky. I came to the conclusion that an iPad or an Android Tab is the ONLY way to go. It seems like home automation developers are pushing towards creating apps than their own designs of touch screens, which is completely understandable.

Its funny you should mention Elk. In doing research for a screen I've decided to go with the Elk M1GSYS4S Gold Security System with Semi-Flush-Mount Keypad for my security system. Since I found people loving this system in the forums I am trying to put together the basic components to get it running. I can't put my finger on it yet, but I think the Elk M1GSYS4S replaces the ISY-99i/IR PRO INSTEON Compatible Automation Controller with Dual-Band PLM and IR Control, but I'm still researching things.

http://www.smarthome.com/128301/Elk-M1GSYS4S-Gold-Security-System-with-Semi-Flush-Mount-Keypad/p.aspx

If I can't figure out everything with the Elk system I'll have to post another thread, but this one is resolved.

I don't think the Elk would replace the ISY completely... I guess it just depends on what you are looking to do.

Look at the Insteon compatibility paragraph in your link.
To add Insteon you need the ISY99i; 2413S PLM and an Elk Ethernet Port expander board.

The M1 can talk to the Insteon lighting devices through the M1XSP and a powerline interface. Setup of Insteon devices is more of a challenge than some other lighting devices. The ISY99 has taken on the setup and operational interface challenge and greatly simplified it.

I suggest that if you are using Insteon lighting devices, to invest in the ISY99. Life will be sweeter!

Back