Is This a Good Touch Screen?

What about the samsung Q1U SSDXP? It's the newest UMPC from samsung except the hard drive is solid state so no spinning parts. I ordered one about 3 weeks ago and it's supposed to arrive next wednesday. The only drawbacks I've heard about it is it's glossy finish shows fingerprints a lot and the docking station isn't yet available but it should be soon (i hope).

Kyle

Have you received this yet and if so what is your opinion? I'm looking very hard at this unit to run CQC Interface Viewer. It seems like a perfect solution except for the price.

What about the samsung Q1U SSDXP? It's the newest UMPC from samsung except the hard drive is solid state so no spinning parts. I ordered one about 3 weeks ago and it's supposed to arrive next wednesday. The only drawbacks I've heard about it is it's glossy finish shows fingerprints a lot and the docking station isn't yet available but it should be soon (i hope).

Kyle

Have you received this yet and if so what is your opinion? I'm looking very hard at this unit to run CQC Interface Viewer. It seems like a perfect solution except for the price.

Yes I received it last Wednesday. My first impression was WOW this is cool! After that I tried using it as a laptop and that was a bad idea. It would take some time to learn to use the built in keyboard and the screen is too small to surf the web IMO. Also, it constantly kept dropping from my wireless network until I found out there were updated NIC drivers to fix that problem. After the update it's been very solid on my wireless G network.

However, as a portable touchscreen interface for mainlobby i'm very very happy with it. The quality of the display is unbelievable and the battery life is very good, I think around 4 hours. The resolution is an odd one and I still have to modify my scenes to work with it. I think i'd still like to buy the docking station for it but so far Samsung hasn't set a release date for it.

The solid state hard drive is pretty cool too, you don't hear any noise from it except for the very small built in fan. I hope that fan doesn't crap out b/c it looks like it would not be fun to replace. I wish they could have figured a way to build it without a fan.

My 3 and 1 year olds love the thing as well, I opened up MSPaint and voila!! fingerpainting! A lot of people say the glossy finish is a downside b/c of fingerprints but I didn't notice that problem. The few times my kids smudged it up i just wiped it off with my t-shirt.

If have a spare 1500 lying around it's pretty sweet as a touchscreen. I'm not sure it's a good value though since you could probably get some other touchscreens for much cheaper.

Kyle

Kyle

I have a few Q1P running on jobs and have had no issues. The users are very happy with the response, looks and CQC performance.

Looking for a touch screen with the following requirements:

1) Countertop/Tabletop for easy relocation (rules out Elk TS07 or HSTouch)
Just a quick point of clarification: HSTouch™ is a software designer program, not a piece of hardware.... and it's designed to run on any Win or WinCE based touchscreen (inwall, portable, tabletop, etc...).

-Mark

Sorry, it is a little unclear from the HS forum where it talks about the software and also a screen that will be sold with HSTouch pre-loaded on it (been trying to get Rich to commit to offering a tabletop version)... What is the correct name for the hardware screen that Homeseer will be selling?
Mike - Details about the screen should be available pretty soon.... we're working on that as well. Our first offering will be a 7" inwall unit. We'll consider a tabletop version too...

How about the soon to be released Nokia N810. While it is not a windows device, you can develop software for it, and it has a browser. It should also be relatively cheap. I've actually been developing automation interfaces using the Google Web Toolkit. The N810 may be the perfect front end for me, since GWT will run in its web browser.

Been looking at the 810 as a remote for Slimserver but not sure about general automation tasks... can you post some pics of of what you are doing with the google web toolkit?

As a follow up to my review a long time ago, I've been trying to use my Q1U with mainlobby and it's flaky as can be. If I'm sitting on the wifi router I'm ok but the minute I go in the next room it'll disconnect after 20 minutes or so. It shows signal strength as poor even though my laptop right next to it says excellent. I have 3 access points in my house and it's still dropping connections constantly. I knew a UMPC would have less power to give to the wifi but I didnt' know it would be this bad.

Has anyone else had any connection issues with their Samsung UMPC?

Thanks,

Kyle

Not that I have noticed. However, I usually use the Q! Ultra in the same room as the WAP. I have also carried it all over my house without any problems, but I honestly don't know how many times I would have done that and continued to use the machine for a long period of time. Most of the time it is just a few minutes in each location.

I haven't noticed any either and my WAP is in the basement and I use the Q1 on both the main and upper floors. I use cqc not mainlobby but haven't noticed any connection issues.

FWIW, I'm in the process of installing my first touchscreen monitor. I won an ELO ET1545 15" touchscreen from ebay for $80 (others went for less!). I tested it using the latest ELO drivers, and a serial connection, and it works beautifully ... bright, sharp, and a decent viewing angle. Far better than the touchscreens on my 3COM Audreys (although that's a different animal). It'll be connected to my HA server in the basement (HP eVectra) ... directly below the kitchen wall that will house the touchscreen ... so it'll be 'silent running' as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, its plastic bezel was emblazoned with "Fujifilm" and "Advanced Photo something-or-other" so it probably came out of commercial photo-printing machine. Mr. Clean's "Magic Eraser", Meguiar's "ScratchX", and some elbow grease removed all of the badges. I spray-painted the bezel a brilliant white and it'll fit into the kitchen decor just fine. I've scrounged up all the parts for a mounting plate, drilled all necessary holes through the walls, and it gets installed this weekend.

No issue I have seen with the Samsung Q1 and wireless....

One of the things we have found is that the wireless subnet should be different than the wired subnet and a quality bridge between the two. Something about switching between docked (wired) and undocked (wireless) modes that Windows has a tough time with when the same subnet is used.

also, static IP - not DHCP saves some connect time.

Different wireless AP's have different quality.

Environment has a big factor on wireless - metal in the walls (I don't get the best wireless out in my metal pole barn), and other signal suckers make a difference.

Back