[ISC] 2006 West Security Expo

BraveSirRobbin

I attended the ISC 2006 Security Expo held at the Sand's Convention Center in Las Vegas, NV on April 5. During that time I visited many booths and spoke with a variety of technical and sales people. This information was quickly taken down and will be (hopefully) correctly presented in these review postings. Please be aware that there may be inaccuracies in some details including pricing information. So please, take all this information as a "quick first look" only! ;)

Lifeware (Exceptional Innovation)

I visited the Lifeware booth and spoke with Steve Cashman. Steve showed me the latest Lifeware software product line.

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)
LifeWare

(Click on Picture for Full Sized Image)
LifeWare

Basically LifeWare uses WSD (Web Services for Devices) to interface with a variety of devices using the new Vista operating system. The new Vista operating system of WSD will replace the current operating system UPN (Universal Plug N Play) protocol.

This software can be used with a large range of devices including whole house audio (Russound, Nuvo), IP Cameras (Panasonic), Thermostats (Aprilare, Honeywell), Security Systems (GE, DSC) as well as a host of other systems.

Their pricing is based on how many devices you are interfacing with and how many clients you will be using.

For further information please go to their Web Site.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Their pricing is based on how many devices you are interfacing with and how many clients you will be using.
I heard that their small touchscreen was around $6k and a larger one was $9k. They use certified dealers and are not interested in DIY. In one of their presentations at EHX, they mentioned that the software license ALONE for a recent 25,000 sq ft house was $30,000 USD.

Wayne;

You were greatly misinformed. Steve (who is the Vice President of Sales) told me that a "basic" install would start around $1500. I'm not saying this software will replace HomeSeer, CQC, or mControl, my intent was to give those members who could not go to any of these shows a chance to see what technologies were out there.

I think LifeWare is on track with the WSD interface and appear to be on the cutting edge with a new operating system that isn't even out yet to the masses!

I applaud their thinking and methodology!

Notice I DID NOT even tout their touch screen display as I knew that was out of the price range and instead concentrated on their software only.

BTW: Typical to me isn't a 25,000 Sq. Ft. home! ;)

BraveSirRobbin said:
You were greatly misinformed.
What part of my post was greatly misinformed?

BraveSirRobbin said:
Steve (who is the Vice President of Sales) told me that a "basic" install would start around $1500. I'm not saying this software will replace HomeSeer, CQC, or mControl, my intent was to give those members who could not go to any of these shows a chance to see what technologies were out there.
$1500 (minimum) for SOFTWARE ONLY sounds out of the reach for "typical" consumers. And unless they have changed their prices, that entry level only includes control of 8-10 lights via one MCE screen. Additional lights are $25/each, thermostats are $100/each, alarm zones are $50/zone, windows shades are $300/each... JUST FOR THE SOFTWARE LICENSE.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I think LifeWare is on track with the WSD interface and appear to be on the cutting edge with a new operating system that isn't even out yet to the masses!
MCE has sold 10 million copies. I guess that doesn't count as being "out to the masses"? LifeWare and MCE are shipping now using WSD. If Vista is a requirement, they sure are hiding that fact well.

BraveSirRobbin said:
BTW: Typical to me isn't a 25,000 Sq. Ft. home!
I never used the word "typical" or implied that 25,000 sq ft was typical. I was relaying the $30k price from Mike Seamons, founding partner and VP of Marketing.

Makes MainLobby look like a heck of a deal since it does more, looks better, much more configurable, customizable, available to DIY as software only and MUCH cheaper.

What great timing for the MainLobby3 / MLServer2 announcement (coming soon).

DavidL said:
Makes MainLobby look like a heck of a deal since it does more, looks better, much more configurable, customizable, available to DIY as software only and MUCH cheaper.

What great timing for the MainLobby3 / MLServer2 announcement (coming soon).
I won't disagree but ML is not part of MCE line Life|ware is, so therefore its hard to really compare the interface, etc.

From what I've heard from various folks, they are quite expensive. I'm not exactly sure how they plan to make that work. If you are going to pay a lot of money for an automation system, then you can buy a Crestron system. Few custom installers are likely to, given a chance to sell them a Crestron system vs. an MCE/LW system, select the latter. Charmed Quark takes the approach that we can provide 80-85% of the power of a Crestron system for a lot less (depending on how you choose to do it.) That provides a viable argument for selecting the non-IBM style option. I don't really see the viable argument for selecting an equally expensive system that runs on an OS that is specifically intended to be used on a daily interaction machine (something that is completely verboten to most custom installers.)

If you look at the other options they are trying to slot into it, it would be something like:

Crestron
AMX
Control4
Software-based systems like CQC

If you want lower cost but are paranoid enough about software-based system to accept flexibility limitations, then C4 is there in that slot. If you want truely low cost, DIY or custom installed, then software based systems are in that slot. If you want mid-upper end, AMX is there, and if you want upper end Crestron is there.

Where in there are they really fitting in in that hierarchy? Personally, I think that the MCE tie-in is a serious liability for them in the only conduit that they have (custom installers) for such an expensive system. Hooking into MCE could only be seen as an attempt to get the product out to the masses, since it has no other real benefit relative to the substantial downside it entails. But then to turn around and price it such that the masses will never buy it kind of seems contradictory.

Also, any kind of product that claims things in the area of auto-discovery and configuration (i.e. WSD), is just blowing smoke unless they are a Crestron and can effectively build all the devices that the custom installer could want, or a C4 where they provide a limited universe of self-discovering devices that you live within, because you'll never get such discovery mechanisms into even a small percentage of the devices out there that a serious automation system will have to interface to. Any practical installation is likely to still require the messy business of figuring out serial devices and serial wiring and so forth.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm not just banging on them just because they are competition. Crestron is a competitor as well, and they are really expensive also; but, they deliver the real goods for that price. I'm just confused as to where LW feels they fit into the market and why they have a compelling story and who would find that story compelling.

Don't forget substantial financial backing (apparantly), industry connections (Microsoft et al), marketing presence (largest booth at EHX, front and center), likely significant support organization (essential for the dealer market), brand recognition, training program, and, oh yeah, a product that actually works (likely, but to be seen).

That is what really seperates the software companies from the big boys (embedded control types). The rest is noise.

Dean, when We figure that out, then the embedded controller types will look over the shoulder.

Dean, when We figure that out, then the embedded controller types will look over the shoulder.

Oh, hey, I've long since figured out that those things are important. But, it's not really within my ability to make them happen. That will require a sugar daddy to foot the bill. We spend a fair amount of time standing out on the corner in a short skirt, but it's hard to convince the guys in the big cars driving by that there's an opportunity to change this market by building on commodity hardware.

I don't think we have any problems on the 'actually works' front. Our product does very much actually work.

Back