Isolation Transformers

DeLicious

can someone tell me in English (not technical-ese like on the site) what this item does?

It says it eliminates noise off the line. Is it just for a room? for a single circuit? for a whole house? Any info is appreciated.

thanks!
Adam

can someone tell me in English (not technical-ese like on the site) what this item does?

It says it eliminates noise off the line. Is it just for a room? for a single circuit? for a whole house? Any info is appreciated.

thanks!
Adam

It is a type of surge suppression device that will also provide some isolation for noise coming from your incoming electric utility line, or other noise sources in your home. It will more than likely block X-10 and other Power Line Carrier signals also.
Since it is only rated at 1000VA(Watts), this pretty much limits it to one electronic device such as computer,TV, audio system or similar. It WILL NOT support heavy loads such as electric heaters and such which typically draw 1500VA(Watts) or more.
To put it in prospective, Your standard duplex wall outlet is rated at 15 Amperes or roughly 1800 VA (Watts) maximum.

thanks!
Adam
In technical-ese: I second all that KB4OB says. A couple of things to add.....1000 Watts would be equivalent to 8 amps at 120 volts, so the load capability is limited. Isolation transformers are normally used for two main purposes. These are 1) to provide electrical isolation, ie. to provide an isolated ground reference from the original electrical source. You see this in industrial applications such as in heater circuits and/or motor drives, for reasons too complex to discuss here. and 2) to limit the EMI noise from passing either downstream or upstream through the transformer. The transformer is a large inductor which has the ability to limit transient spikes and EMI noise.
In English: Not much......gives off lots of heat and buzzes a lot.

thanks!
Adam

The real function of an Isolation Transormer is just what its name says - Isolation. It will isolate an electrical load from the power main. While not typically useful for consumers, isolation transformers are used in industry. Neither lead of the 120V produced from an isolation transformer is referenced to ground. So if there is an accidental short between one of these leads and "earth" ground, there will be virtually no current flow. This can be an important safety factor when working on units connected to the powerline.

Jeff

Back