Premise Issue with USB to serial adapter

Motorola Premise

etc6849

Please try this:
I'm hoping someone out there with a different USB to serial adapter (not one with a Prolific PL-2303 chip as mine has) will try something...
1. Connect a device to a USB serial adapter and plug the adapter into Premise server.
2. Unplug the USB serial adapter from the Premise
3. Wait some period (60 seconds)
4. Then plug the USB serial adapter back into the server
5. Check if the port still works in Builder (verify that data is sent and received using port spy). You should see brown data, followed by green data (data was sent), followed by black data (reply packet, assuming the device replies normally) If you see only brown data in port spy, something is wrong with the port.

Issue Background:
I have a device plugged into a USB serial adapter. The USB serial adapter is then plugged into a UBOX 2100 (network based USB port server by Lantronix). The UBOX's port is dedicated to the SYS server so that only the SYS server can use it. Please note that this issue is repeatable even if you plug the USB serial adapter directly into the SYS server, so I've verified that the UBOX 2100 is not the problem.

How to reproduce the issue:
When I remove a USB to serial adapter attached to a UBOX 2100 (that has a USB port dedicated to a Premise server), the port is shown as disabled in Premise Builder as it should be (e.g. a red circle and slash appear through the port).

When I plug the usb serial adapter back into the UBOX 2100, the port is quickly shown as enabled (red circle goes away when view in Premise Builder).

However, the device attached to the port will not work, even though no communication error is set…! It appears SYS should be smart enough to close and reopen the device’s port once the COM port is re-enabled, but doesn’t…

I’m running XP SP2 on my main server. However, when I plug the USB serial adapter directly into another computer (this one runs windows 7), I get a similar issue.

How to get things working again:
It appears there’s two ways to get the port working again:
1. Set “Network” to nothing and then set it back to the COM port (e.g. reset the port state from Open to Close, then back to Open).
2. Manually set status to false then true to reset the serial subsystem or restart the SYS service; note on a restart, I’ve added code to SYS that also executes a timer:
system.addTimer 10, "devices.SerialPorts.Status = false:devices.SerialPorts.Status = true",1,"Restarting_SerialPorts"

This issue is serious as I don't want to reboot my server each time I unplug a USB serial adapter! I'm hoping a different brand of cable will work better. :(

Back