ISY programming trigger based on Insteon command

htsource

Looks like I can't make this program to fire X10 command as it's not capturing the Insteon trigger, how else should I program it so when ISY receives Insteon command, it would send off an equivlent X10 command?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 9
Ahh, looks like programming in Insteon is very different than with X10. It's triggering ONLY if I press that light switch, but if I press it with RemoteLinc it doesn't trigger the event.

I'm just having too much fun to say the least!

I add another line with "or" as condtion, now nothing triggers!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 10
Ahh, looks like programming in Insteon is very different than with X10. It's triggering ONLY if I press that light switch, but if I press it with RemoteLinc it doesn't trigger the event.

Your problem is that you aren't understanding what "control" means.

Programs trigger based on these principles:

Control = the device in question was physically acted upon. the state of the device need not change. i.e. light is on already, pushing on is still a trigger
Status = the state of the device changed regardless of how it came to change. i.e. light is on already, push it on does not trigger . . .light is on, it receives a command to turn off or you push off on the device, program triggers

Once triggered, the program will evaluate the true/false status of everthing in the if section and then execute the then/else clause.

I'm just having too much fun to say the least!

I add another line with "or" as condtion, now nothing triggers!

Not sure why this program isn't triggering. Physically turning off the basement light at that device or using the remote linc and physically pushing off should trigger and it should evaluate to true in either case. Did you check the program summary page and see that the program ran? It lists the last time the program ran and whether it ran true or false. If I were a betting man, I would say that it did run and that the x10 command was lost due to the nature of x10 commands.

Thanks so much for your help on this, I read through the ISY99 manual last night to see if I'm missing something. I now have the access points actually closer to the electrical panel and make sure they're in blinking green when testing. That seems to have helped with that one keypadlinc I was haivng an issue with.

I went back to the program summary page and those x10 related programs didn't run, the time stamp didn't update when I triggered the Insteon event.

I'm going to check with ISY to see if they have other suggestions.

I appreciate your explaination on "Status" vs "Control",

One other point with control that I didn't make.

Control as a trigger is also specific to the action listed. In other words "control on" is only a trigger when you physically act on the device in question and push "on". Pushing "off" doesn't trigger the program.

For example

If
Control switch x is switched on
Then
- -
Else
- -

This program will evaluate to true when you push the "on" paddle on switch x. It will not trigger if you do anything else (fade,off,faston,fastoff,etc). So the above program could never evaluate to false (at least not from it's own if section).

So, if you were pushing anything but a single click to the "off" side of the paddle, your program would not run.

If indeed that is what you did, then the next question is whether the isy is receiving info from the device. Check the main page and follow the status of the device when you turn it on/off. It should change along with your button presses.

And last point, which it appears is not the problem for you, ******Make sure the program is saved and enabled****** I can see from your screen shot that it is, but I can't tell you how many times people make that mistake.

Thanks Lou, I did factory 2 of my KeypadLincs in questions, confirmed all links were removed, did a restore from ISY. They still flash "sometimes" after I press the button locally on the switch.

I checked the link table between polling the switch vs. from ISY, I always get one more link, is this normal?

I'll try to replace rest of my Smarthome X10 switches over the weekend, I believe I may have a few Smarthome switches with signal booster, probably those are causing issues.

I now have a lot more understanding into the programming side of it, I'll check again for the logic.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, it is normal. If you push the "compare" button it will line up the links and tell you that the extra link is proper and should be "ignored".

If you had a properly functioning x10 setup in your house then Insteon should work no problem. Perhaps you don't have enough devices or you have a lack of phase coupling.

The full users manuals for the Insteon devices. Have a section on how the older Switchlincs with BoosterLinc features and BoosterLinc modeles can mess up Insteon communications.

I did a compare for all my switches between what's reporting from ISY vs from the device, most are okay but I do have a few showing mismatch. I did a factory reset and all disappeared from the switch when I did another polling from it through ISY. Then I thought I could just do a restore from ISY back to switch. Once that's done, that mismatch entry is back.

Should I be starting from scratch in this case in ISY by deleting the switch and add it back? Can I remove that mismatch entry manually?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    74 KB · Views: 6
I don't understand how this happens. ISY should write exactly what is in its table to the device so I don't get the mismatch. I also don't know if that mismatch is of any significance.

Certainly there is no harm in deleting the device, factory resetting, re-enrolling, then rebuilding the scenes. Just remember that if you have any programs pointing to the device you will need to check them afterwards.

Back