It happened to me...

I guess I'll add my recent break-in to this thread so others can learn from my troubles. In fairness, we recently moved in and the house was equipped with a "minimally-engineered" security system relying on a maxed-out, 8 zone 12-year old DSC panel. Needless to say, I'm in the process of rebuilding it especially since the thieves damaged it.

For the record, our home, located in a quiet, residential neighborhood, was burglarized in broad daylight on a weekday morning.

Lesson 1: Secure the garden gate.
Once through the self-latching, but unlocked, garden gate, the burglars were shielded by a tall fence and could work in privacy.
Response:
The "security perimeter" needs to be the fenced property and not simply the house. Install a double-key deadbolt on the garden gate and put attractive, yet sharp, objects on top of the gate to discourage climbing.

Lesson 2: Protect the communications line.
Anything that was tie-wrapped to the electrical mast was cut including telephone, cable, and satellite dish.
Response:
Cheapest solution is to run all communication cables within a metal conduit. Tie-wrap a fake telephone cable onto the conduit to serve as "bait". Put it on a 24-hour zone and the next clown who cuts it will instantly trigger an alarm. (Sure, you could have your panel trigger an alarm if the main telephone line fails, but that could lead to false alarms.)

Lesson 3: Reinforce all entry doors.
Two residential steel-faced doors were forced open with a swift kick (doors had only one muddy bootprint). The door's edge, made of wood, split open and let the deadbolt fall out. Truly shocking to witness how flimsy these "steel" doors really are.
Response:
Reinforce the door edge using one of these gadgets http://www.safedoorsystems.com/ or the traditional kind that fits over the lock area only. Use an oversized door strike that accepts four long screws. There's a void between the door frame and the wall stud where the deadbolt is located; fill this void with solid wood (I used oak) to prevent attacks with a crowbar.

Lesson 4: Conceal the sirens.
Upon entering the premises, the thieves ripped the siren off the wall. The original installer didn't add an external siren so now there was nothing to distract them from their work.
Response:
Hide the interior siren in a cold-air return. Hide the exterior siren in the eaves.

Lesson 5: Develop a security plan.
My wife left her office to retrieve an item from home shortly after lunch. Upon entering our home she found the siren lying on the floor. Bless her fearless heart, she proceeded to explore the house to confirm her worst fears. Fortunately she encountered no one but the minimal losses we experienced suggest the thieves may have been interrupted by her arrival and fled.
Response:
Best initial response to a break-in is to walk away and call the police. Ensure the whole family knows how to respond to various threats (burglary, fire, flooding, home invasion, etc).

Good luck!

Great information. Sorry that it came at your expense, but great information to help everyone else out.

Good point about one's security perimeter. Outside lighting is another big problem with a lot of setups. Generally people position outside flood lights to point out from the house into the yard. Unfortunately , you are effectively blinding anyone that might be looking at your house from the street. It is very easy for someone to "hide" up against the house and go unnoticed due to the glare of the lights - especially if they are wearing dark clothing. Lighting should always be pointed at the house and light up the exterior walls, not pointed out away from the house.

If your lighting is currently set up like this (pointing out away from the house) and you do not have any light pointing at the house and lighting up the outside walls, I would suggest you get someone to help test this. Have them dress in dark clothing and stand up against the house while you stand away from the house and try to see them. Between the glare of the lights, and the usual plantings around the house, it is generally very easy to go unnoticed.

Obviously this is a mute point when they break in during the day, but it is another thing that people have set up that may actually end up helping the criminals more than deter them.

hmm... this sounds awfully similar to mine. are you sure you're not in my neighborhood? first of all, sorry to hear about your problems. i can obviously sympathize.

In fairness, we recently moved in and the house was equipped with a "minimally-engineered" security system relying on a maxed-out, 8 zone 12-year old DSC panel.

We had only been living in our house about a year. It was "protected' by a 4 zone system that only covered the doors.

For the record, our home, located in a quiet, residential neighborhood, was burglarized in broad daylight on a weekday morning.

Mine occurred just after lunch, but also in a quiet, residential neighborhood.

Once through the self-latching, but unlocked, garden gate, the burglars were shielded by a tall fence and could work in privacy.

My thieves came in the unsecured back yard gate and were also protected by a tall fence, not to mention I have no neighbors behind my house.

Anything that was tie-wrapped to the electrical mast was cut including telephone, cable, and satellite dish.

My telephone line was also cut, but not my cable line. Of course, my computer is what alerted me to the whole situation in the first place, since we don't use our telephone lines at all.

Two residential steel-faced doors were forced open with a swift kick (doors had only one muddy bootprint). The door's edge, made of wood, split open and let the deadbolt fall out. Truly shocking to witness how flimsy these "steel" doors really are.

My back door compromised in a similar manner.

Also, having a security plan in place is a great idea as none of us had any idea how to react either.

Again, sorry to hear about the whole situation. I hope you don't have as much problem with the police as I had.

I think we're all sorry to hear but I've read your post with interest and trying to see what weaknesses my own installation has. Many years ago I had a trailer stolen out of my front yard in clear daylight, these idiots are quite brazen. It also sounds as if the guys that broke into your house were pretty experienced and knew what they were doing.

Personally I think I've found it more effecitve to have CCTV cameras outside, reasonably highly visibile to act as a deterrent. Again, these guys break into banks so I know the cameras are not the final sollution.

Would you believe I had the cameras outside and not cabled up and the idiots decided to steal 3 hedge plants right between where they thought the 2 cameras couldnt see. If they were cabled up, I would have easily seen them so next day, a big cabling day but its all done.

I've got an ELK 16 port I/O board outside to manage my pool and I really think I need to put anohter 1-2 photobeams outside to stop them getting close to the house.

I'm not sure if Security is a hobby or an obsession but I'm always looking for the weak spot and trying to plug it without killing the power bill :)

CHeers..Pete

Not to sound too paranoid, but I recently put up a new wooden fence that is 8 feet instead of the 6 footer it replaced. I nailed two small brass brads into the top of each wooden board and snipped them off to leave about 1/8" exposed. The ends are sharp, will not corrode, and are not visible unless you can look DOWN on the top of an 8 foot board. They hurt like hell if you try and hang off the fence (trust me, I forgot I did that and tried to peek over the fence to see what the noise was in the back yard). Yeow!

I also have magnetic sensors on the gates around the house that (unless disabled) will trigger the alarm within 2 minutes. I have gotten into the habit of disabling the alarm prior to opening a gate since the outdoor speakers hooked to the Elk will certainly get the attention of the neighbors (as will the three flashing red strobe lights on different sides of the house).

I *know* the piezo screamers inside the house will run out anyone not wearing ear muffs. I have to disarm the alarm with a finger in each ear and punch in the disarm code with my nose :)

It's not perfect but I'm sure the evil-doers would like to find an easier target :)

Houston, what piezo screamers are you using? How many did you use? Do you have them hidden? I think I need to convince my wife that we need a small upgrade here and I'd like to do it right the first time.

Moose piezo's (MPI 46/47) have gotten a lot of good press around here (I use them as well). They make a surface and flush mount type.

I live in a suburb of Montreal (Quebec, Canada) and I'd hazard a guess that the incidence of residential burglary here is probably the same as in any other major North American city.

"Brazen" is a darn good description of today's burglars but I guess that's one of the pre-requisites for their line of work. The side-door to my garage had a sticker indicating the premises were monitored by a video security system. That didn't appear to deter them ... especially since the sticker was the one and only part of my video security system. :)

The police arrived 45 minutes after our call and, although courteous and concerned, they basically filled out a form and asssured us that we probably won't be burglarized again. Cold comfort; I've heard the opposite from other sources.

The thought of having some miscreant's fingers impaled on brass nails appeals to my territorial, inner-caveman but it ought to be combined with something more visible. I can easily imagine being sued by someone who impaled himself on "deliberately obscured impediments designed to maim and disfigure". No, I take that back, outrageous lawsuits of that sort are extremely rare in Canada. :D

I think using the interior siren as a 'weapon' is a good idea; 140db can cause serious hearing damage. However, I'd hate to be roused out of bed at 2:00 AM by that "ear-mangler". Ensure your heart is in top shape before you deploy this solution!

I think using the interior siren as a 'weapon' is a good idea; 140db can cause serious hearing damage. However, I'd hate to be roused out of bed at 2:00 AM by that "ear-mangler". Ensure your heart is in top shape before you deploy this solution!

Maybe use a relay so that the "killer" interior sirens are only used when "armed away" and not when "armed stay"?

yeah, Horatio Cain, Jack Bauer, and Fox Mulder would have had the guy inside of 2 hours, only to find out that the perpetrator was actually just distracting the police presence from the nuclear bomb that was about to go off in Montreal, which was in itself really just a coverup for the assasination of the vice-president who was actually part of a global conspiracy to hide the fact that caucasians are all actually aliens who's skin was supposed to be dark but the implantation and cloning process didn't work correctly.

I was about to say "You watch too much TV" and then realized I understood almost everything you wrote ... so we *both* watch too much TV!

Almost everything ... because I had to google Horatio Cain.

Good point about one's security perimeter. Outside lighting is another big problem with a lot of setups. Generally people position outside flood lights to point out from the house into the yard. Unfortunately , you are effectively blinding anyone that might be looking at your house from the street. It is very easy for someone to "hide" up against the house and go unnoticed due to the glare of the lights - especially if they are wearing dark clothing. Lighting should always be pointed at the house and light up the exterior walls, not pointed out away from the house.

Really? I'm more concerned that I see the bad guy from inside the house than the neighbors see him from outside. If I'm away the story is different, but I'd rather deter the visitor when I'm home than when I'm away.

I might as well tell our tale. It happend around 10 years ago, as I recall.

At our old house, which I had built, I installed a primitive Radio Shack 4-zone system with door and window sensors, believing that anybody who got in would open a door or window to take out the booty. Plus, it was on the recommendation of a friend, and putting in an elaborate system was not as high on the priority list, as was choosing the right color carpet and paint.

One moring when I got up, I couldn't find my wallet, which I kept on the kitchen counter. Then I noticed that the screen in the kitchen window was missing. Strange. I had opened the window the night before to let in a cool breeze. I had that zone bypassed. I had no back-up way of securing that part of the house.

I made a police report. It turnd out there was somebody in the general area getting in through sliding glass doors and open windows. A few weeks later, they caught him. Two police officers cornered him outside his truck. He drew a gun, and shot one of the police officers. The second officer shot him. They named a secton of highway near the area with the officer's name as a memorial. The thief was buried without ceremony.

The officer left behind a widow and a small child. As it turns out, they had lived across the street and about six housed down.

I am very glad I did not get up to use the bathroom while the burgler was in the kitchen. It is believed that he was breaking into houses mostly for the thrill. I assume he was also armed.

I ordered an Elk system just a few days ago. Now I need some good sensors.

Here is a link to the incident:
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=14951

Back