It's official, I can pull no more wire

RandyKnight

We got the foam insulation sprayed today and drywall should drop tomorrow. They start hanging it on Thursday.

So I now have to say I am "done" with my pre-wire. I finally had to just call for the foam and drywall to go in because I kept coming up with new stuff to pull.

The final score:

-22 boxes (1000' each) of Cat5e
-5 spools (500' each) of RG6
-4 spools (250' each) of 14/2 speaker wire
-Miscellaneous pulls of shielded 22/4 for IR, 14/2 for touchscreen power, etc.
-Somehwere in the neighborhood of a million holes drilled ... it seems that way anyway
-At least 10 lbs. of sawdust inhaled, swallowed, etc.

Can I say I'm really tired?

Now to get some rest before I have to trim it all out. :lol:

Photos at http://sixknights.blogspot.com

:lol: That's a whole-lot-a-wire, but I didn't see any Siamese RG-59 on your list. No CCTV cameras? What about your security wire?

jeffx said:
:lol: That's a whole-lot-a-wire, but I didn't see any Siamese RG-59 on your list. No CCTV cameras? What about your security wire?
I used Cat5e for security. Split out the pairs as needed. Cameras will be Cat5 with baluns as well.

I think I am a member of the over-wiring anonymous club, and I will back up the statement Guy made that it will take you the next twelve years to terminate everything. I still have bundles of cable wrapped semi-neatly in my automation closet that I have to search through every time I want to hook something new up. We've been in the house for 6 years, but when I furnished my basement a couple years back, I went nuts with more wiring (more so than when we built the house), and even have a couple thousand feet of various cables covering our deck and Gazebo alone!

Of course half the technology I'm putting in now is wireless, but at least I have the security of knowing that my house glows brightly. Is it normal to pick up over-the-air signals on my TV from China?

I obviously just joined that club. And I agree it will take me forever to terminate everything. In fact, some of it may not ever be used. But it's hard to resist when the walls are open. :)

RandyKnight said:
jeffx said:
:D That's a whole-lot-a-wire, but I didn't see any Siamese RG-59 on your list. No CCTV cameras? What about your security wire?
I used Cat5e for security. Split out the pairs as needed. Cameras will be Cat5 with baluns as well.
ahhh, and I thought I was the only one who used CAT 5e for security, etc. I looked at using 5e with the baluns, but even with a free supply of 5e, it was still cheaper and easier to just use the Siamese cable.

I recently oversaw a 30 cubicle expansion in my office building, and we didn't come close to using that many boxes of 5e :) even with 2 data and 2 voice connections at every cube.

Back