Just an FYI but HomeSeer has ViziaRF In Stock

I just glanced at your tag and thought it said "Asleep on the HomeSeer Help desk on a part-time basis". :D

Would be a nice job if you can get one.

I guess it's time to get a new pair of glasses. :D

I don't understand why there still aren't any good <$100 multi-button keypads with local load control for Z-wave. That's the main reason I went with UPB. Maybe I just don't understand how everyone else is doing scene lighting without poking another hole in the wall. With the SAI US2-40 I can replace an existing dimmer with a single keypad that can both control that local load and trigger different room scenes. Isn't that part of the point of lighting control, so you can walk in a room, press one button, and have all the lights in that room go to one of several preset scenes? I want to have a 4- or 8-button keypad at the entrance of every room and I don't see how to do that with Z-wave unless I either poke a new hole in the wall for another j-box or use some kind of wired-in receiver to control the local load?

acheslow said:
I don't understand why there still aren't any good <$100 multi-button keypads with local load control for Z-wave. That's the main reason I went with UPB. Maybe I just don't understand how everyone else is doing scene lighting without poking another hole in the wall. With the SAI US2-40 I can replace an existing dimmer with a single keypad that can both control that local load and trigger different room scenes. Isn't that part of the point of lighting control, so you can walk in a room, press one button, and have all the lights in that room go to one of several preset scenes? I want to have a 4- or 8-button keypad at the entrance of every room and I don't see how to do that with Z-wave unless I either poke a new hole in the wall for another j-box or use some kind of wired-in receiver to control the local load?
It depends on your HA backbone I guess. I use HomeSeer to handle all of my scenes.

Rupp, how do you tell HS which scene you want? Maybe we just interact with our systems differently but I need the flexibility to push one button for a "Dinner" scene and another button for a "Reading" scene, etc... Are most other folks here taking a different approach?

I still don't get HS would get around the hardware bit - isnt' the issue that you need local load AND scene control without a 2nd box? The zWave switches i've seen are a single switch taking up the wholebox for local load, and a 2nd one just for button.

Is there hardware out there that i'm not aware of (regardless of price) that can both local loads and pushbutton control of other scenes?

IVB said:
Is there hardware out there that i'm not aware of (regardless of price) that can both local loads and pushbutton control of other scenes?
Yup. Like Alan said, all of the UPB switches can do that. Either the SAI multiple faceplates or the HAI or PCS lighted button switches. I thought the Insteon keypadlincs worked like that do, albeit not as flexible as the UPB switches.

acheslow said:
you mean something like this: Vizia RZCS4-1LX- 4-Scene Controller

supposed to be available in March.

I cant find any info on this unit, though, so I dont know how it is supposed to work.

EDIT: Assuming this unit is similar to the Monster one now available, it will not control an electric load and is only a controller. So no, this is not like the SA UPB switches.

monster controller

prsmith, right, since that doesn't control a local load it wouldn't seem to meet my needs unless A) I punched a new whole in the wall to a add a new j-box; :lol: somehow I got lucky finding half of a 3-way circuit or some other switch that doesn't need local load control; or C) I shoved some kind of wired-in receiver behind the wall/ceiling somewhere to control the local load. Are there other options I'm missing? Mone of those three options are appealing to me and I just wonder if I'm alone in this or if everyone using Z-wave has found some other way of doing this.

acheslow said:
prsmith, right, since that doesn't control a local load it wouldn't seem to meet my needs unless A) I punched a new whole in the wall to a add a new j-box; :lol: somehow I got lucky finding half of a 3-way circuit or some other switch that doesn't need local load control; or C) I shoved some kind of wired-in receiver behind the wall/ceiling somewhere to control the local load. Are there other options I'm missing? Mone of those three options are appealing to me and I just wonder if I'm alone in this or if everyone using Z-wave has found some other way of doing this.
You're not alone at all. I couldn't find anything with buttons for scenes and local load control. If there was, I'd instantly buy at least 4-6 of them for the primary rooms - heck, i'd contemplate having the primary switch in every room have this so I could standardize on something like "top button - main light on/off; middle button - all on/off; bottom button - love doctor scene".

No way am I allowed to put a 2nd box there, or rewire to a non-standard route.

Back