Just starting out

kranic3

Hello

Im new here, and to this HA buisness, but i've been spending the last month online trying to make sens of what I could. Now that ive decided this is where my money will be going I came here for some assistance

I want to start off with replacing a few light swithces (some dimmable some not), a doorlock and the thermostat, and I want to take the wireless route.

From what ive read I really like the Homeseer software, although I have no clue about what to use as a controller for all of this (ISY994?)

basically, even after online research, I am still unsure on what products to go with for this mess. please help me out of this mental struggle!

Thanks in advance

I really like the light switches with them thanks :) the reason I want to use homeseer is for the amount of customization. is something like the vizia lights controllable through it? (sorry if the question sounds rediculous, im very new to this

Homeseer supports z-wave. For better experience you'll need a z-troller (Homeseer brand z-wave controller). If you do not plan to have more than 40 devices, this will be a good way to start with home automation. Make sure the light devices you get support "beaming", and you may also want the ones with instant status update (like Evolve or Visia RF).

picta said:
Homeseer supports z-wave. For better experience you'll need a z-troller (Homeseer brand z-wave controller). If you do not plan to have more than 40 devices,
 What's this 40 devices remark?  The Z-Troller will work with 256 devices.  The beauty of using HomeSeer is you can use Z-Wave, Insteon, X10, UPB, etc all at the same time so you can experiment with the different protocols and use the best devices that each protocol offers.

Rupp said:
 ...The beauty of using HomeSeer is you can use Z-Wave, Insteon, X10, UPB, etc all at the same time so you can experiment with the different protocols and use the best devices that each protocol offers.
Correct; but, since the op is a new user I just want to clarify that each of these lighting protocols require their own controller interface to communicate with HomeSeer via the PC environment (be it serial, USB, or Ethernet).

Thank you all so much for your answers. Everything helps, I'm very eager to learn. I am for sure getting with Z-wave, and most likely homeseer with the Z troller. seems like the best way to go

Back