jwilson56's home

jwilson56

PC's :

3.0 Ghz P4 W/ 1.5 GB Ram automation/music Server running XP, JRMC 11, Girder 5, Netremote Media Bridge and Elk M1EZ8

750GB total storage for 775 CD's Ripped with APE lossless audio format.

1 - ELO 15" Touchscreen with a dedicated 1.6GHZ system
1 - Nokia 770 touch pad: Running RDP into a server

Dell Axim X5 running Netremote Pro

Hardware User Interfaces:

GUI Interface "Now Playing" for Netremote on the Touchscreens

Automation Hardware:

Elk M1EZ8 with Elk-M1XRF2G wireless receiver and PSC05 X10 interface
Ocelot 16 idependant IR zones
W800 Receiver
Various X10 Modules and Switches
Hobby-boards 1-Wire Master Hub

Other Hardware:

WinXP Pro running SageTV for timeshifting running a 3800+ X2 w/7600GS for HD playback at 1080p
Buffalo WHR-G54S flashed with DD-WRT
16 Port 10/100 Hub

A/V Hardware:

Sony DA80ES A/V Home Theater Receiver
5x Technics SA-EX140 200Watt RMS Stereo receivers
Audio Distributed amp via Xantech.
M-Audio Delta 410 10 Channel Sound Card
Xitel PRO HIFI USB Sound Device used for TOS Output and Zone Synchronization
Xitel HIFI Link USB Sound Device added for 6th zone
Samsung 56" DLP HDTV
Polk Monitor 50 Speakers
Various speakers for the auxilary zones like the BIC in-wall speakers

Software:

Girder 5 w/Elk plugin
Netremote 2.0 Pro
Jriver media center V11

Some Applications:

6 independent zone touch screen controlled whole house audio system sourced by 800+ CD's and independent tuners
Announce all caller id and reminders over independent audio distribution system.
Announce end of washer and dryer cycles
Popup for caller id with monitor wakeup and scrolling caller log
Light control popup panels for touch screens
Weather details page for touch screens
Elk Security Panel control

ZoneMinder with 4 IR cameras for remote monitoring and motion capture

Description:

Well here a short history as to how my whole house audio has evolved in its design. I originally started with the idea of
having a single amp and use LPADS in each room. What I came up with was as cheap and offered much more features
and felt it was the best solution for the money long term.

The problem with using a single receiver to drive multiple speakers are numerous. First you will have to have
a way of impedance matching the speakers to your receiver. I seriously looked at devices like the HACS AB8SS
but those cost quite a bit more money and you still will have to have some way of adjusting the volume in each
room that you have your speakers in. For that you could use a manual or IR controlled LPAD mounted in the wall.
Remember that this LPAD has to dissipate the wattage your driving so plan on it getting HOT. In researching LPADS
I have read of many horror stories of people having them melt down in the walls. I also would be faced with all
the work of mounting them and running the wires. A decent LPAD can run you $50-$100 each for manual control and
double that for IR control.

I had no doubt that the 220 watt RMS receiver I currently had would drive all the speakers so power was not on
issue. My original idea back several years ago would share a single 400 disc CD changer over multiple zones so again using a single
receiver would work quite well. Again what had a big impact on my decision was the cost of the LPADS that I would
need to purchase.

After weighing all those ideas (and trust me I was planning on going that route at first) I decided to take a
different approach. First I live in a home that has wet plaster walls and its a real pain to mount anything in
the walls so I was not looking forward to LPADS in each room anyways. I also wanted IR control so that I could
use a touch screen and Homeseer (now Girder 5) to control it down the road. That meant spending big bucks on the speaker
switcher/impedance matcher and all the IR controlled LPADS.

What I came up with ended up costing much less and really being much less work. I decided to purchase a
Technics 200 watt stereo receivers for each additional room that I wanted to put a 'zone' in. So keeping
my home theater system as the main 'zone' I purchased 4 extra receivers. Each receiver is IR controllable
from Girder 5 and can be powered off separately. I centrally located all the receivers in a rack.

Each zone then has its own volume, power, mute, bass & treble controls. Since the wiring came down to running speaker wires
from the 4 aux zones to each of the rooms it was much easier as I had no LPADS to buy or install.
Each room has its own 200 watts RMS so there is no chance of a melt down. Once I chose the Technics SA-EX140 200Watt RMS Stereo
receivers I looked on Ebay and bought 4 at an average cost of $50 each. Thats less than the 4 manual LPADS I would have had to buy.
All four receivers are close to my home automation server and are totally out of site. No need to have them visible when you can control
them remotely with IR control via the touchscreen interface.

Now with separate receivers it opened up a few options. Each zone had its own tuner so that was a bonus. When
I first did this I shared a 400 Disc CD changer for all zones. I have since went to a hard drive solution that
enabled me to really indulge by having 5 distinct zones. Using the M-Audio 410 PCI Sound Cards that has 10 channels
I am able to have a multizone setup with audiophile specifications. I use the built in sound card for my TTS voices
and everything works well together. All the receivers are controlled via my 'Now Playing' GUI interface done
using Netremote/JRMC/Girder 5/Ocelot. I use the SECU-16IR module for IR control as it has independant IR zones.
The IR zones need to be indepenant due to the fact that I am using the same receiver for all the axillary 'zones'.

Every day I sit down at my PC in the den and use my Now Playing GUI front end I have access to over 800+ CD's,
internet radio stations, and 10 preset FM local stations. My wife can play what she likes in the living room,
bedroom or kitchen and I play what I like. With 1500 Watts RMS available I have no worries about heat or clipping
the amplifiers and destroying the speakers. I also have to say it all sounds quite nice.

I originally used Homeseer but have since migrated to Girder 5 as the home automation solution. I find it more stable and integrates better with Netremote.
I also have added an Elk to my setup and use the Elk plugin for Girder 5.

The system design has a hardware based syncing option that lets you play the same CD in more than one zone. This allows the track to be
in complete sync unlike most software based syncing solutions I have heard.

Check this thread detailing how to play Winamp streams through JRMC

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php...6&hl=stream

Check out the Now Playing project at:

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...;hl=now+playing

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16567

Attachments

• nowplaying_2009.jpg
    nowplaying_2009.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 569
Nicely done!

I recently saw a post on JRMC 11 and the m-audio delta 410 and love the concept. Looks like add netremote and throw it on touch screens and it is really nice.

I like the tablet approach, they have just been a bit pricy (then again I've only seen the latest ones, havent seen an older supplier) to get on my priority list considering the other projects I'm trying to put together.

The multizone approach using the computer and customized screens would work better than my current use of Harman Kardon multi-zone equipment. If I would have seen this awhile back things would be different.

I bet my wife would really enjoy a setup like yours. Hmmm :rolleyes:

Very cool setup! I have come to the same conclusion as you regarding local sound systems rather than multizone amps with L-pads or proprietary volume controls. Too bad I purchased a bunch of the Leviton Chopin volume controls just before I changed my mind (never installed and still sitting in my basement). I'm not familiar with those cheap Technics receivers though... I'll have to take a look on Ebay to see if there are any still around.

Well soon I will be updating my showcase when I finish my Now Playing 2007 skin for Netremote 2.0 and Girder 5 migration from Homeseer. It will be soon....

Here is a screenshot of one of the panels... still playing around with the overall looks...

John

Till then check out my progress in this thread

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=7106

Attachments

• playing_around_13.jpg
    playing_around_13.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 446
John, Looking better and better!
Are you now using NetRemote for all of your conditional processing? Or are you still using HS? I see you list HS here, but this is an old post. I thought I remembered you posting that you were no longer using HS. What software did you replace that functionality with? Any comparisons?

EDIT: oops should have read your post slower. You are using Girder.... Can you provide some comparisons of Girder vs. other?

thanx

Well soon I will be updating my showcase when I finish my Now Playing 2007 skin for Netremote 2.0 and Girder 5 migration from Homeseer. It will be soon....

Here is a screenshot of one of the panels... still playing around with the overall looks...

John

Till then check out my progress in this thread

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=7106

Yes DavidL I am using Girder 5 for all my automation needs. Right now I have the following hardware tied into Girder:

Slink-e (both IR and Slink commands for 8 zones)
W800 - for both Motion Detectors and DS10's
Powerlinc USB for X10
NetcallerID - for CID using both TTS and NR Log Screen

I have to say I am impressed with the overall stability of this latest version. It is integrated with Netremote so well now. Its so nice not to have some 'glue' application or plugin between my GUI app and my HA app.

Lets face it when it comes right down to it the HA side needs to be fast, lean and efficient to perform its tasks. For me Homeseer was becoming bloated and was even at the end unstable at least for me (HS2.x). Once I got past the learning curve to get started in LUA and the Girder style interface (and I am still learning much) and with the help of some nice guys I have all my functions switched over.

Girder is lean. It keeps polling my X10 switch status (15 lights), watches my motion detectors (5), updates my NR clients, handles all the events with great efficiency.

I have yet to even tap into the power of Girder to control just about any app out there.

I will do a better write-up when I redo my Showcase when I finish my new skin. I am working on my weather screens (which is all from the built in weather component of Girder 5).

John

Hey as some of you know I retired this year... here is the building I worked in for 29 years....

:(

John

Attachments

• ford_motor_building.jpg
    ford_motor_building.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 356
Hey as some of you know I retired this year... here is the building I worked in for 29 years....
John

You were able to retire after working for 29 years? Dang, good job. I did the math recently, started working when I was 21, had my 2nd kid when I was 35, which means she'll be graduating college @21 (hopefully). I'll have worked 35 years at that point, but with tuition now-a-days, it'll be another 5+years before I can afford to stop working.

I don't know how folks who have their kids older can stomach the idea of having to work so long...

John

You were able to retire after working for 29 years? Dang, good job. I did the math recently, started working when I was 21, had my 2nd kid when I was 35, which means she'll be graduating college @21 (hopefully). I'll have worked 35 years at that point, but with tuition now-a-days, it'll be another 5+years before I can afford to stop working.

I don't know how folks who have their kids older can stomach the idea of having to work so long...

Well I got married at 22... had my first kid at 24 and they are all gone... 2 are married... and my house is paid off ....

I was offered a special early retirement that I could not refuse. The stress there was killing me and I have a number of health issues.... not many would want....

John

Well I got married at 22... had my first kid at 24 and they are all gone... 2 are married... and my house is paid off ....

I was offered a special early retirement that I could not refuse. The stress there was killing me and I have a number of health issues.... not many would want....

John

Hi John,

Congratulations on the new retirement. Also, thanks for posting and bumping this thread to the top so I could see it. Now, after having read everything you've posted about your setup, I think I want to do something very similar. I was trying to figure out the best (and most affordable for me) way to do something just like this. I was thinking about buying a ton of in-wall volume control knobs, but those add up in price quickly. For about the same price for one of those, I could buy a whole darn receiver, lol.

Thanks for sharing your home setup. In May you posted that you were working on a new skin. Do you have anymore information about that?

This is an awesome way to accomplish what crappy $1000+ cookie cutter setups do, with even more flexibility!

Wow I need to take some time to update this showcase. For now please take time to look over

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showto...;hl=now+playing

It goes into some details on how I am migrating from Homeseer over to Girder 5 at the base foundation for my HA needs. Now Playing has been completely rewritten and integrated with G5 in Netremote 2.

John

PS Besides still recovering from my back surgery I also have a brother dying of cancer so I am not sure how much time I can devote to answering questions right now. But I will try and help.

If your looking for a security system as well as a whole house setup I would suggest looking into an Elk M1 and then integrating that with NR and G5. Harleydude is doing that. I am looking to move in a few years so no Elk for me right now and I also already had the Slink-e but the Elk should be able to do the independent IR zones. But if your not interested in the Elk then the Slink-e can be had off Ebay or the Global Cache I think will do independent zones as well. Its newer and supported.

I would however still suggest the Delta 410 PCI sound card for multiple channels. They can be had off Ebay as well. I will write more later and in the thread listed about so direct your comments to that one.

Thanks

You can now purchase Netremote Whole Home Pro and Girder 5 Whole Home Pro bundled together for $200

Girder 5 is still in beta but fairly reliable as that is what I use currently.

Netremote Designer is now free from what I can tell.

The Pro versions allow any number of client installs.

https://www.plimus.com/jsp/dev_store1.jsp?developerId=37072

John

Thanks for the info John. Your Promixis thread answered a ton of HA questions I had about your setup. I'll be asking you more questions in about a month or so once I can afford to purchase all of this software. Thanks!

Edit: It looks like there are 30 day trials for just about all of the software you use. Do you know if your original skin that's on Promixis' web site will work with the newer version (NetRemote 2)? Maybe I'll see if I can at least get it up and running and see how much I like it. (try before buy)

Bob

The original skin was designed to work with Homeseer. Again I would use the Flatstyle CCF to play with. Also I would get JRMC and start ripping your CD's and getting your media library organized. Then try NR trial with the demo skins. Then Girder 5 and seup any lights you have on X10 or whatever.

Back