Keypad/Alarm question

dgeffs

I've never used an alarm panel but am familiar with automation panels. My M1 is setup for no alarm zones - every input zone is "no alarm". I'd still like to enter a user code at the keypad to arm the system when exiting the house and enter a code when I return to disarm the panel. When I attempt to enter a code to leave I get a series of beeps but the panel does not appear to arm anything. When I press the exit key I get the normal armed LED and the exit countdown. What is keeping the system from arming with my user code (verified for correctness and the proper number of digits). If I allow the panel to arm, after the exit key and countdown, I am unable to disarm with my code. The code was entered in RP and I'm certain I am entering the right code plus this code has all permissions to arm/disarm and view any menu etc.

Interesting question, and I'm sorry, I don't have the answer. But I'm wondering, why do you want to arm the system when you have no active zones???

Skip

Interesting question, and I'm sorry, I don't have the answer. But I'm wondering, why do you want to arm the system when you have no active zones???

Skip
I can fire rules based on the armed status to control HVAC, lights etc. Of course I could also do this via a function key but I would like to keep track of those entering and leaving the premises too. I need to track a mentally challenged child and enable or disable items based on their user code.

Skip
I can fire rules based on the armed status to control HVAC, lights etc. Of course I could also do this via a function key but I would like to keep track of those entering and leaving the premises too. I need to track a mentally challenged child and enable or disable items based on their user code.

If you think the problem is no active zones, you should easily be able to "fudge" a zone. Take one of the onboard (or on-keypad zones), terminate it, set it up as EOL supervised, and set the type as a window or something.

What happens when you try to disarm? Check your settings - is the system setup for a 4 digit or 6 digit code? Make sure your code matches the setting.

What happens when you try to disarm? Check your settings - is the system setup for a 4 digit or 6 digit code? Make sure your code matches the setting.

System is set for a 4 digit code and that is present in the Keypad and RP. The system refuses to arm or disarm with the code. I've got an unused input so I think I set it for alarm and give it a try. I don't know what else to try. The installers or master code don't work either to arm or disarm. They work if I hit a menu that requires security.

How about trying to assign one zone as an alarm zone, no EOLR, N.O. and see if the system will arm. My "guess" is that with no zones enabled you can't arm the system.

Check to make sure that the "Area" assignment for the keypad is also the "Area" assignment for the user code you are trying to use. They have to match.

I've tried setting up one zone as an alarm zone both entry exit and not with the same results. I can use my code to get to some of the restricted menus on the keypad so I must assume it is for the correct area and a working code.

I guess I'll have to take this up with Elk or AO since I've tried all the simple stuff with no joy.

Does the keypad show "Ready To Arm"?

Press the "Bypass"key then 999 then "Bypass" key to shunt or bypass any violated burglar zones in an Area that are defined as bypassable. "Bypass", 0, "Bypass" removes all burglar bypasses in an Area.

If you disarm the M1 before the exit time expires, any zones that were bypassed will remain bypassed. If you disarm after the exit time expires, all burglar zones in the disarmed area will be unbypassed.

Change to definition to Disabled then back to No Alarm type definition. This allows the system to clear any violated states that could be present from an initial burglar definition. Turn power off, then back on. This also reintiializes any old burglar violated states.

Make sure you have not set the first four digits of the Installer Code the same as the first 4 digits of a user code The system will find a valid User Code and never find the Installer Code when this matching code is entered.

If you default the control using installer level globals 45, 99. The default arm/disarm code 3456 should work to arm and disarm. You can reload your saved ELKRP settings one by one to find where the programming problem is at.

The keypad shows "Ready to Arm" and when I enter my 4 digit code I get several beeps and the little timer thingy in the upper left hand corner starts moving. After 1 minute the timer disappears and the system still says ready to arm (arm button not lit). I tried the bypass suggestion and the power switch and there was no difference. My code is no where near any of the default codes in the system - it begins with two zeros.

I am curious about your last sentence on defaulting the controller to intaller level globals 45 and 99. I don't have a clue what this means but I'm willing to try anything. Remember, I've never used an alarm panel in my life.

The keypad shows "Ready to Arm" and when I enter my 4 digit code I get several beeps and the little timer thingy in the upper left hand corner starts moving. After 1 minute the timer disappears and the system still says ready to arm (arm button not lit). I tried the bypass suggestion and the power switch and there was no difference. My code is no where near any of the default codes in the system - it begins with two zeros.

I am curious about your last sentence on defaulting the controller to intaller level globals 45 and 99. I don't have a clue what this means but I'm willing to try anything. Remember, I've never used an alarm panel in my life.

Sounds like you are trying to arm away but the panel is not seeing you "leaving" since an entry/exit zone was not violated in the exit delay time.

Back