Kwikset Lock with OmniPro II - Zwave or Zigbee?

Actually, its very easy with the right instructions. I think the Kwickset docs might be wrong. I couldn't get mine to work and then I found a Youtube video from HAI that showed it and it was simple. Press the un-enroll button 9 times and then the enroll one 4 times. You don't have to do it from the ZIM like they show. You can use PCAccess instead if you want.

Yes the 9 & 4 key presses are a bit cryptic and need of good documentation, but once you know that most everything is basically straight forward. There is one little catch that if you do not follow the video exactly (and go by what you know from enrolling past devices) may trip you up. You must put the ZIM in enrollment mode before the lock, which is not necessary for other devices.

The lock is a battery powered device, so when it is trying to find a new network it will only scan for a couple seconds to save battery life. This is not the case for other devices (such as our thermostats and loads in which they will scan for an hour). If the ZIM is not open for finding devices before the lock starts the scan, it will miss the joining scan and will not properly join.

Ryan

WTF? Who said this was easy? LOL. The instructions say refer to the HAN Instructions?? WHAT HAN INSTRUCTIONS? OK, so my question is, HOW do you put the kwitset into enroll mode? Maybe its easy if i knew how to do that? LOL

Not sure if you have got this cleared up since you posted this... I have the ZWave model, but instructions regarding wireless setup and the HAN are on the same instruction sheet:

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/BDHHI/homeconnect

AH! NO WHERE on Kwiksets instructions do they say anything about 9 and 4. Will give it a try. THANKS!

Drvn, those the exact instructions that came with the lock and no, there is no reference to 9 and 4. Worthless instructions, lol.

THanks again!

You mean you didn't intuitively think of pressing the disband button 9 times and enroll 4 times after that? I don't think 9&4 is the official method of getting it to enroll/disband, but with our internal testing it seems to be a reliable easy to understand method that we recommend.

I'll send feedback to my B&D-Kwikset contacts to see if they can clarify the instructions for future revisions.

Ryan

AH! NO WHERE on Kwiksets instructions do they say anything about 9 and 4. Will give it a try. THANKS!

Drvn, those the exact instructions that came with the lock and no, there is no reference to 9 and 4. Worthless instructions, lol.

THanks again!

Ahh, based on your previous message I thought those were left out of your product packaging... and I didn't watch the video until just now.

I simply followed steps 1-3, pressing the B button (once) to include my Z-Wave lock into my network and my Leviton VRUSB read it w/o any issue :-/

Drv, the instructions were left out of the first kwikset. Found istructions on line. Second kwikset arriving later did have instructions. You were correct. However, the instructions SUCK and are inadequate.

Spoke with a Kwikset rep and he said they are re-writing all tech manuals and they recognize they are poor. New 10 key locks coming as well.

Ryan, if thats not the official way to do it, I dont know what else works so to me ITS OFFICIAL! LOL.

OH, is there a setting I can do to make the locking/unlocking work faster? Sometimes it take 20 or 30 seonds! When I send a command to execute I want to execute RIGHT NOW. Surely there is something that can make this happen?

Drv, the instructions were left out of the first kwikset. Found istructions on line. Second kwikset arriving later did have instructions. You were correct. However, the instructions SUCK and are inadequate.

Spoke with a Kwikset rep and he said they are re-writing all tech manuals and they recognize they are poor. New 10 key locks coming as well.

Ryan, if thats not the official way to do it, I dont know what else works so to me ITS OFFICIAL! LOL.

OH, is there a setting I can do to make the locking/unlocking work faster? Sometimes it take 20 or 30 seonds! When I send a command to execute I want to execute RIGHT NOW. Surely there is something that can make this happen?

Under normal conditions it should not take 20-30 seconds (assuming you are using Zigbee and not Z-wave). The Zigbee locks will report to its parent twice a second, so the max delay should be about 1 second if there are no network issues. Since you are seeing 20-30 seconds it is making me believe there are network issues and is forcing the lock or some other node in your network to perform a route discovery to keep trying to find alternative paths from ZIM ->Lock. Do you suspect the Lock's parent is the ZIM itself or is there some other router in between these two nodes? To test to see if it really is routing issues I would try to minimize the range of the ZIM->lock path.

Is it Possible to have multiple ZIMs connected to the HAI OP?

As of right now you may only have a single ZIM connected to the controller. I can think of a few rare use cases where you would actually want more than one ZIM on an omni, but most cases your goals can be accomplished with a single ZIM. Care to share your end goal so I can perhaps think of an alternative solution?

As of right now you may only have a single ZIM connected to the controller. I can think of a few rare use cases where you would actually want more than one ZIM on an omni, but most cases your goals can be accomplished with a single ZIM. Care to share your end goal so I can perhaps think of an alternative solution?

How about two ZIM's with one working the Automation Profile and one working the Energy Profile? I'd really like to start getting data from my SCE Smart Meter.

How about two ZIM's with one working the Automation Profile and one working the Energy Profile? I'd really like to start getting data from my SCE Smart Meter.

That is one of the few use cases I had in mind. Unfortunately this is not possible yet but is definitely something that is on our horizon. We are very involved in SE profile devices and am aware of what is will take to bridge the two networks. Unfortunately in today's market there is not many areas that are open to a consumer buying an off the shelf SE product and allowing it to connect to a utility's meter. Everything is headed that way but is not there yet.

Ryan

That is one of the few use cases I had in mind. Unfortunately this is not possible yet but is definitely something that is on our horizon. We are very involved in SE profile devices and am aware of what is will take to bridge the two networks. Unfortunately in today's market there is not many areas that are open to a consumer buying an off the shelf SE product and allowing it to connect to a utility's meter. Everything is headed that way but is not there yet.

Ryan
As a consumer, I almost feel like I've been duped with the Smart meter stuff. All their promises of what the technology could do for real-time feedback of power usage hasn't materialized. All the technology pieces exist for me to do my own power level monitoring and because everything in my home is automated, I could do my own load-shedding based on power levels. Unfortunately SCE won't allow any automation enabled interfaces to talk to their meters.

Sorry for my little rant Ryan. If you do get to the point of testing the HAI Zigbee interfaces with SCE Smart meters, sign me up. I'd be happy to do some testing and provide feedback.

Yes, I second it that the instructions were not as clear as they should be. Press 9 times, and then 4 times? What am i arming a nuclear missile here? Then storing the name on the ZIM is about as cumbersome as I've ever seen. So it lets you store a rather long name, but most of it gets chopped off when the name is displayed on the home screen.

Don't I also somehow have to take the name and address of the lock and put it in PCAccess so the panel knows about it? Or is this done automatically since the ZIM is connected to the panel obviously? And how in PCAccess can you even tell if the ZigBee ZIM is attached correctly and working?

Do you enrolling through PC access. Under Setup, Expansion, Access Control. Click the device type, set it to Zigbee, then click "Enroll". Do the button presses on the lock and that's it - all done.

You can then go to Status/Control, Access Control and see the lock status or control it from there.

Just like a PIM or TW523, I don't think that you can really see that they are there, other than they are working to control devices.

As a consumer, I almost feel like I've been duped with the Smart meter stuff. All their promises of what the technology could do for real-time feedback of power usage hasn't materialized. All the technology pieces exist for me to do my own power level monitoring and because everything in my home is automated, I could do my own load-shedding based on power levels. Unfortunately SCE won't allow any automation enabled interfaces to talk to their meters.
Not to keep the OT rant going, but have you heard of this device? I just discovered it recently - if compatible with your meter, it could help.

Back