Landscape lighting

Thanks Frank. Mine does :)
That shot was done about 3 years ago right after I brought it "online".
I should reshoot now that the plants have matured.
On the HA side, the falls and lighting are controlled by HomeSeer.

Attachments

• ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for the info.

I am going to make purchase a transformer that does not have a timer built in. I may purchase two smaller transformers so that I can control the path lighting and the landscape lighting better.

Now for the big question- where to mount the transformers. In the following two options, I have to drill through the wall of the house to get the wires outside. Neither will be easy since the walls are brick. I can mount the transformers in the garage, or in the small room in the basement with all my other HA junk. I am wondering if the transformers will produce any type of static or noise that will affect the elk, the rack mounted pc, or my UPB stuff. How much heat will these transformers produce?

Anything else I need to worry about before I start spending the cash??

JAY—I love the pond!

Steve

I am going to make purchase a transformer that does not have a timer built in.

Now for the big question- where to mount the transformers.
Don't reject a transformer simply because it does have a timer. They can usually be ignored if desired. Mechanical timers don't affect the price much, and you may not have a choice.

Most landscaping transformers are weatherproof and are expected to be mounted outside. If you have 110VAC handy, that would be a good choice.

Wayne-

That is the big problem, not outlets outside except on the garage in the middle of the driveway, or on the porch

Steve

Scrambled (thanks :))
I have some input.

Timers & interference. Generally, the consumer xfrmrs use red and black plastic stops for on/off time. I just take them off and throw the included switch to always on. I use X10 wall-mounted sockets and have never had a glitch due to current inrush when HomeSeer turns them on. You might hear a 60Hz hum. Although this is a commercial unit, you can kinda see it plugged into one of those recepticles (lower left picture from the garage at my other place http://www.kiawahstyle.com/deck/index.htm ).

Heat. Neglegable.

Wiring. I'd run your feeder wires through the brick wall and seal around it. Shouldn't be too bad with a masonary bit.
I use #12 direct-burial wire intended for this stuff. These xfrmrs are not regulated so, it's best to have a least 10-15 feet of wire before your first lamp so you don't need to replace bulb so often (voltage drop). Also, I've found it best to match the load to the transformer. Add up the wattage of your lights for the circuit and size the transformer to the same or to the next capacity above that. Example. 6 fixtures drawing 11 watts each= 66watts. Look for a transformer at or somewhat above 66 watts. 88 might be the closest. Don't get a 200 watt unit because they're on sale! Again, it's a bulb-life thing.

I have one circuit here where all the bulbs would blow at once. I had 8 fixtures drawing a total of 80 watts, but I had an outside 200 watt xfrmr feeding these guys on a very short run of #12 wire. Rather than dig up the wire, I spliced a 10ft section of #16 wire between the xfrmr and the #12 run which acted as a resistor (I hid the loop in some shrubs). That did the trick. 2 years and the bulbs are fine.

Hope this was useful.

$44 shipped gets you one of these chinese SDS drills. I bought one a couple of years ago and I have used it several times to drill through foundation walls. Makes it real easy.

They are not production units, but for price it's probably cheaper than a one time rental.

Brian

Personally I would forget about all that low voltage crap that is out there today and stick with regular 110v. Yes, you'll have to run conduit or burial rated wire, and get fixtures from a lighting store (HD and Lowes only care low voltage now), but the end results will be much better.

You might get away with low voltage for the sidewalk lighting since you are not trying to throw light very far, but for lighting scenery definitely go with the regular voltage stuff. Trying to light a 20' tall tree with some 12v lights isn't going to happen IMHO.

voltage has nothing to do with it . . my headlights are 12v, and they could light up a 20' tree easily . .

I think he was meaning the "entire package" of the 120 VAC lighting (size of bulbs, dispersion angle, etc...) not just focusing on the voltage.

For strong, wide uplighting, I use what are essentially 30W, 12V tractor bulbs. Home Depot carries them and they fit into black plastic cans with swivels for aiming. The cans are about 10" high and 5-6" wide. You just dig a hole and pop them in.

Thanks for the info.

I am going to make purchase a transformer that does not have a timer built in. I may purchase two smaller transformers so that I can control the path lighting and the landscape lighting better.

Steve

BTW, you can buy landscape lighting transformers that have an internal socket for a timer (or a X10/UPB/Insteon style appliance link module). I use two Kichler 600W transformers and they have space under the cover for a plug in timer or appliance module that controls the internal transformer load. They work really well for automation (I use X10 appliance modules in mine) and you should be able to order them over the internet without any trouble.

-Tim

Oooops, Dan I deleted as post, I only read page 1 and realized many had already point out 12v power.

If that was directed at me I can get you pics of the HID setups, however I must say they are totally sealed and submersable so not much to look at.

Back