Laptop as remote to control AV equipment

Superdub

Okay, my question is this:

due to a disability and physically not being able to use a standard universal remote control, I want to be able to control my home theater system using only my laptop (Panasonic 42PHD8UK, Sony DVD player NC85H, dish network DVR VIP 622, and HK 240 receiver). Because I live in an apartment I don't have any need nor the ability to hardwire the whole space for home automation (though this would certainly be useful) -- I don't think a landlord would appreciate me ripping up the walls. Given this, I'd love to be able to do all this wirelessly.
What exactly would I need to do this -- hardware, software, accessories, etc.. I'm guessing that somehow my laptop has to be able to transmit IR signals to all the components. Is this correct? Or would this be done using WiFi? Like I said, my needs are simple, I just want to be able to control all aspects of my AV equipment using my laptop. Is there a step-by-step tutorial out there? If so, can somebody point me in this direction?
Thanks.

Depends on the complexitiy of the setup you want :angry:

If you are just looking to do IR, you can get a USB UIRT (an IR sender) to attach to your laptop and then use that with our software NetRemote.

After that, the sky is the limit in terms of complexity and sophistication

Back