LCD TV interference with IR remote

JimS

Have Mythtv and going from CRT tv to LCD tv. Have had a bit of trouble with IR control and finally realized it was the TV interfering with the IR signals. This looks to be a common problem. The activity light on the IR receiver hooked to the PC is on all the time - doesn't even go off briefly from what I can see. The small LED tv I got for the other location doesn't seem to have this problem at all.

As a test I covered the screen with a towel and the interference stopped - but makes watching difficult :) . I moved the receiver around and didn't see any change until I got it about 3 feet away and shielded it with some cardboard to restrict its field of view. I found a few comments about putting things over the receiver to reduce its sensitivity. Also saw something about turning off the automatic brightness adjustment - did that but it made little, if any, difference.

The receiver (actually a tranceiver - it has two blaster jacks) is an HP unit from about 2005. Are the newer units better at rejecting this? I need to pick up another unit for the other location but need the transmit capability. Any recommendations on a better USB IR unit?

Any other suggestions?

You need plasma proof ir receivers, LCD or CFL resistant won't cut it. It seems like the blank screen between channels or switching inputs floods the IR receiver and pegs it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Back