• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Leviton RCA 110 Connectors

upstatemike

I am about to install a set of Leviton RCA 110 connectors and I am confused about the wiring. The connectors are designed to use 2 pairs for each channel so it takes a full cat-5 cable to carry both right and left audio. When I put a meter to the connector it looks like the 2 pairs are just wired in parallel so I have to wonder if they are both really needed? What would be the impact of just using 1 pair per channel? I am just running audio on this line so no high frequency stuff. Am I missing something or would 1 pair per channel work OK?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I run my PC speaker level audio (stereo) over 1 pair, so can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to use 1 pair per channel. Only one way to find out ;)

upstatemike

Too late, I already came up with a better solution. I am trying to relocate the amp in the library down to the basement so the only thing upstairs is the Slim Devices Squeezebox display and the speakers.

I was going to run the RCA audio out from the Squeezbox to the basement amp over a run of Cat-5 and use an audio triggered relay to turn the amp On and Off. Now I've changed my mind and decided to put a spare player in the basement next to the amp and keep it permanently synched to the one in the Library. That way I get the same result with no long audio run. (And save myself a bunch of extra work!)

Glad this didn't hit me AFTER I wired up the new line!