Leviton ViziaRF switches with no neutral

RonX

I was checking the full ViziaRF line but I didn't find any switch (for using with fluoresent lights) that doesn't require neutral like the dimmers. Does anyone know if I can use something in their RF line as a no-neutral required switch?

I think is not technically difficult to produce one since AspireRF from Cooper Wiring devices has one rated at 5 amps (RF9518).

Regards

Currently there is no Vizia-RF switch without a neutral, dimmer only.

I will confirm and add this;

The Vizia-RF dimmer draws a little power through the load to power itself and I believe the minimum load is something like 40 Watts incandescent. A Vizia-RF relay type switch does not have any specified minimum load, it doesn't even expect to know the type of load, so it requires a neutral just to provide power to the RF device when the load is off.

Ken

Ok, I see, but even their Vizia (no RF) line, reading their manuals seems that they require neutral. Is it true?

Currently there is no Vizia-RF switch without a neutral, dimmer only.

I will confirm and add this;

The Vizia-RF dimmer draws a little power through the load to power itself and I believe the minimum load is something like 40 Watts incandescent. A Vizia-RF relay type switch does not have any specified minimum load, it doesn't even expect to know the type of load, so it requires a neutral just to provide power to the RF device when the load is off.

Ken

Some models of Leviton stand-alone motion sensors operate without a neutral by using ground as return for the detector electronics and the relay. I don't know how this is legal or UL approved, but it is. This would suggest that a no-neutral Vizia switch is at least possible.

Back