Light/Dark outside fixed?

tomtnt

Has the lirght/dark outside "bug" after reset been fixed? None of my light/dark rules are working so I presume, no? i am completely uptodate with firmware 4.3.12 and elkrp 1.68.

this bug is pretty annoying.

I don't know if it was fixed yet or not. It annoyed me so much that I just got brave and did all my wiring with the panel hot.

The issue is that the dark/light flags were both off after a power cycle or reboot until the next sunrise/sunset was calculated (or something like that). The gist of it was that if you had any evening rules that used the "dark" flag, they never worked the first day after power up. That has a very low WAF.

Not sure what hardware you are talking about, so I can't help there.

In HS I hated the sunrise/sunset variable as it never quite worked that well for me. I finally set a motion sensor outside, for the sole purpose of the light sensor. I have such lighting controlled with devices set to "On device change (Light / Dark)" it triggers the event. In my HS startup script, it looks at the light sensor to set the devices accordingly as HS starts up.

As a failsafe, I have a recurring event that polls the light sensor every hour and makes sure the lights/devices are in the correct state. This way the longest a light, after sundown, (For a light that comes on at sundown for instance) would be incorrect for only an hour at very most.

I know a LOT of manual stuff, but it really cuts down on the problems, offering more stringent control of critical lights based on eiher being daytime or night time. Having a porch light on at 2:00 in the afternoon = bad WAF :)

John,

I think he is talking about the way the light/dark settings work on the Elk. I think they work very well except for the small exception mentioned right after a re-boot.

ditto about the WAF - i didnt' even notice the bug until the wife complained that none of the hallway lights were turning on with motion (IF DARK dependent) anymore...

i acutally don't know how I managed to reboot the ELK.. I was messing around on the keypad renaming some zones and bam - 3 resets in a row..

When reprogramming critical settings in the M1, a soft restart will occur after programming is complete. This allows the M1 to reload all the critical data that may have been changed.

Dark/Light is calculated upon the next Sunrise/sunset time.

Spanky said:
IMHO, the dark/light flag should also be recalculated upon boot up. I thought this had been fixed, but apparently it has not. Is it still in the queue?

WayneW said:
Spanky said:
IMHO, the dark/light flag should also be recalculated upon boot up. I thought this had been fixed, but apparently it has not. Is it still in the queue?
I agree with Wayne, this should be recalculated upon start/restart. I've run into it as well and always considered it a bug.

Tomtnt and WayneW,
I have a present for you in the next software upgrade.

Been greasing the squeaky wheel! :)

Tomtnt and WayneW,
I have a present for you in the next software upgrade.

Been greasing the squeaky wheel! :)

Hi Spanky.

Did the resetting of the dark/light flag get recalculated upon boot up??? I have a number of rules with "AND it is dark outside" that just stopped working. Today I did a reset on the M1 by it powering down. Anyway when I did a search here I discovered this thread it looks like the dark light flag may be lost on M1 power down.

Did the "present" you illuded to happen in a firmware update? Could you please confirm how the dark/light AND rule applies in the latest version of firmware?

Cheers,

Fleetz

Fleetz,
The Dark/Light Sunrise-Sunset recalculation on reboot of the M1 was done 2 years ago in a software upgrade.

The AND statement using Dark or Light outside allows the Rule to use the Sunrise and Sunset astronomical clock settings of your Latitude/Longitude that is set in the Automation/SunriseSunset section of ELKRP or NessRP in your case.

Cheers,

Back