Lighting Automation Technologies: If you got to do it all over again

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Here is part 2, if you missed part 1, go here and vote now!

We are getting some good feedback, let's see what people would do if they had a chance to start all over again. Which solution would you select? If your choice isn't on the list, please post here before voting, so I can add it as an option.

Keep in mind that your choice has to be realistic, i.e., don't pick a high end solution if you would never be able to afford it.

Question before I vote: Is it:
A) If I had to do it all over again, and I rewound time so that I started at the same time (aka, if I knew then what I know now)? Or is it:
B ) What's my next lighting automation technology going to be?

In my case, i'd go with RadioRA if I had to do it all over again and it was when I started. But...I wouldn't have hit the same penetration of switches (23 switches). I will be going with Homeworks Hardwired when I remodel the house (or onQ, I need to research how they both do HV runs as I want the ability to swap out fancy switches with regular ones in case of house sale).

I think the remodeling/building a new house scenario would be the most interesting.

Well it is hard to vote, as I have not used any of those except x10 and Z-wave.

If I could start over in a new house I would probably go with UPB, it seems to be the most mature DIY options with many available Devices.

StevenE

When I was building my self-designed custom home in 2007, money started getting a little tight. I went with Centralite's LiteJet with 24 loads, even though I needed more. I figured I could supplement it with other technology, like JetStream, as budget allowed. I still haven't decided what to use for the other loads yet.

If I was to do it again, I'd have done all the loads at the beginning, likely using Elegance.

Kevin

I will be going with Homeworks Hardwired when I remodel the house (or onQ, I need to research how they both do HV runs as I want the ability to swap out fancy switches with regular ones in case of house sale).

Lutron Maestros (wired or wireless) use the same multi-way wiring as regular switches. When I did my house, which is a retro, I used a keypad in place of several multi-way switches. ie the stairs to the basement which had a 3-way, got a keypad at the top and the switch stayed at the bottom.

I mentioned this in the other thread, I would stay with Homeworks, but I would use an 8 series processor instead of a wireless only processor. The reasons for this are:

1) Wired devices are half the price of wireless ones which would more than offset the higher priced processor. I could fish wires to over half my devices.
2) I would wire up the main floor bath fans etc to RPM's and have keypads to control them. (I told the wife I would label the bath fan speeds as Low, Medium and Mexican. She didn't think that was as funny as I did.)
3) Ability to add CCO's I have a couple of Closed Contacts that I would like to be able to control directly from the lighting system.
4) I am at the processor limit of wireless devices with 64. I have replaced closet switches with the Maestro timers, but they have orange LED's vs. the green on HW. So if I could have used 30+ wired devices, I would have plenty of expansion room using wireless devices in the future.

Something hardwired (I don't know any of them) with the capabilities of UPB or better (256 devices, 256 links, that sort of thing).

I've always considered Homeworks and Vantage to be dealer-install only, i.e. non-DIY.

I guess you can cut a deal with the installer, but it's not readily available, AFAIK.

If I was going to live in the house for a while and I am cheap/frugal: Zwave. I spend wisely: ALC. I want no worries, gauranteed: Homeworks, Vantage, etc.

If I was going to move and I am cheap/frugal: Insteon. I spend wisely: Zwave. I want no worries, gauranteed: RadioRA.

In general here is how I think about it. Powerline techs are going to be more susceptible to problems than wireless mesh technologies(definitely true once you move above cost optimized standards like zwave). Drywall repairs are cheap and easy. Just cut holes, notches and fish the cat5 to the light switches. Save the headache for the next 10 years and go hardwired.

I am not at all surprised at the results of the poll so far. Kind of what I had stated in the last poll thread.

I would stay with Insteon, as I voted; but one of the things the survey doesn't reveal... A big part of why I like Insteon is that Indigo supports it, and the control device/software is as important to me as the technology. So while I'd choose Insteon anyway, one big reason is that I love Indigo and the integration w/ iPhone etc.

Question before I vote: Is it:
A) If I had to do it all over again, and I rewound time so that I started at the same time (aka, if I knew then what I know now)? Or is it:
B ) What's my next lighting automation technology going to be?

In my case, i'd go with RadioRA if I had to do it all over again and it was when I started. But...I wouldn't have hit the same penetration of switches (23 switches). I will be going with Homeworks Hardwired when I remodel the house (or onQ, I need to research how they both do HV runs as I want the ability to swap out fancy switches with regular ones in case of house sale).

I have now plunged in with ALC, but seriously considered HomeWorks for a bit. Check out their documentation...they say you shoudl use a special wire for the communicaiton to the switches whereas ALC seems to be happy with Cat5. Homeworks does say that Cat5 'may' work,but i guess it may limit your support or something. In the end i looked at it and the cost of their switches and went the ALC way. Install starting this weekend.

Back