Linking INSTEON Fixture Modules

upstatemike

Does anybody know how linking is going to work for INSTEON fixture modules? I assume you won't have to take the fixture apart and press a set button each time you want to link it to a new switch or keypad button?

What fixture modules? This is the first I've heard of them.

I planned out a friend's house the other day... his setup would require fixture modules, which means going with either X10 or UPB.

Sorry for the confusion. I have not heard of any INSTEON fixture modules announed yet. I am just doing some migration planning so I'm starting to look at all the "what ifs" so I can figure out how things are going to work.

I think I saw somewhere that fixture modules and screw-in modules are listed on the INSTEON roadmap but I don't know the timetable for when they might be released.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could very easily use an INSTEON switch as a fixture module by simply programming it and then removing the paddle. They already have a very shallow form factor and you could trim down the mounting ears if you needed it even smaller.

You probably could do this, thanks to the much smaller form factor, but I doubt this would meet code anywhere in the U.S. :D

Not sure what would keep it from meeting code. It is encapsulated like a fixture module. Same type of leads as a fixture module. UL listed for hard wired applications. I don't see an issue.

Unsecured metal faceplate?

I think the fact that a fixture module has no exposed metal makes it allowable. The exposed metal faceplate of a modified SwitchLinc may be an issue for having it floating inside a box.

It has a ground lead so the metal is grounded. You can secure it with double sided tape same as a fixture module.

upstatemike said:
Does anybody know how linking is going to work for INSTEON fixture modules? I assume you won't have to take the fixture apart and press a set button each time you want to link it to a new switch or keypad button?
Mike, not that we are planning an in-line module that supports INSTEON....I would like to hear the communities' ideas on how to link a module that is not easily accessible. If the module is "buried" in a j-box and the SET button is not accessible, how should one establish a link to a controller?

One idea I had (when we were discussing the idea) would be to remove the power to the module (at the breaker box) and within 30 seconds of power up, any "join my group" signals would force the module that was just powered up would join the group.

What about doing something with the load? If the module's load is disconnected from the module and it was able to detect this, could that serve as a trigger to put the module into the linking mode for 30 to 60 seconds.

Other ideas were to only allow linking by software. Works OK if you remember to write down the INSTEON before installing the module. B)

I'd like to hear some suggestions!

SJ

For me it would be hard to do anything with the load in some cases. I have a Circeline fluorescent fixture with no switch and messing with the bulbs during programming would be a problem (way up on a 10 foot ceiling. I suggest the standard button to allow the module to be pre-programmed using the normal process prior to initial installation. Once installed I would prefer to use software to make changes but the "window after power-on" option might be required for people who don't use any type of PC control.

Speaking of software... it would be cool if setting up links with a PC could add some additional options not available with the manual process. Example: It would be nice if a module could join a group at 0% or OFF. Another option would be "NO CHANGE" which would be used when you want a light to do nothing when a group ON is sent but still turn OFF when it sees the group OFF.

One idea I had (when we were discussing the idea) would be to remove the power to the module (at the breaker box) and within 30 seconds of power up, any "join my group" signals would force the module that was just powered up would join the group.
This could be difficult if you have more than one module on a breaker.
What about doing something with the load? If the module's load is disconnected from the module and it was able to detect this, could that serve as a trigger to put the module into the linking mode for 30 to 60 seconds.
This might work for light bulbs, where they could be unscrewed, but something like a ceiling fan may not have a way to disconnect the load.
Other ideas were to only allow linking by software. Works OK if you remember to write down the INSTEON before installing the module.
I'm afraid this may be the only reliable option. Maybe you could put a big red peal-away-able label with the address on it that says "Remove this tag and save it". You could provide space on it to write down it's location.

One other idea might be to have a reed-switch on a pig-tail. Stick the reed-switch to the inside surface of the fixture, and you could then "push" the button with a magnet on the outside surface of the fixture.

How about this idea for fixture modules... Create an INSTEON screw-in module that is the same size as an X-10 socket rocket. Also have a pair of small adapters that screw onto each end end of the module to give it leads. This gives you a module that can work as either a screw-in module or fixture module.

How about a tabletop controller that lets you put modules into link mode by entering their INSTEON address? It could replace the current controller in the starter kit so pretty much everybody would have one anyway and you could still have the option of programming via software for more advanced users.

upstatemike said:
How about a tabletop controller that lets you put modules into link mode by entering their INSTEON address?
This is an interesting idea. It brings up the idea of another device (like a controller or software) putting a module into linking mode so a third device could link to the first (like a fixture relay module).

We have had this discussion internally and fear that if employed those who are concerned about security would ....well let's just say some might be critical of the approach. :lol: However, if this feature was enabled for a module controlling a porch light or a fan, it might not be a big deal. If this feature were used in a door lock or other home security device, it would definitely be bad.

For lighting applications, I for one am not too concerned about some "hacker" getting into my system and taking control of my porch light. Others might feel differently and I look forward to hearing their point of view. Coming from a X10 world where a neighbor can turn on my lights, I think Insteon's 16.7M combinations is a big improvement and this feature would not bother me as long as I knew it could happen.

So far, this thread as had some good discussion points :)

SJ

Back