LinuxMCE vs. OpenHAB

dementeddigital

So answers on the other post I made about HDMI matrix switches made me reconsider going that route.

Basically, I'd like to distribute "live" cable TV, locally stored media files, CCTV, and DVD movies to various TVs.  I saw LinuxMCE, and it looks like a great possible solution, except that it looks like development has stalled on it a bit.  The UI looks ideal for use with a TV, and allowing the media to "follow you" throughout the house is really nice.  It has some automation capabilities built-in, but they don't look as capable (or current) as OpenHAB.

Is anyone here familiar with both of them?  What kind of effort would it take to get the media handling capabilities of LinuxMCE but with the automation capabilities of OpenHAB?  Would someone start with LinuxMCE and try to stitch in OpenHAB, or would it be better to start with a clean Linux installation and then try to recreate some of the features of LinuxMCE?

I work developing embedded systems (both hardware and software) during the day, and I don't really want to make a new career of hacking Linux code at night.  What is the best, easiest, and (or) fastest path to get something like that done?

I played a bit with LinuxMCE a while ago and wrote a bit about it here.  I also played a bit with OpenHab.   I was able to grasp OpenHab a bit better than LinuxMCE.

Here I abandoned the use and play back of DVDs/Blue Rays and while I have played with HDMI between rooms here I have settled on using a Kodi (aka STB) Box ('buntu only) for live, recorded TV, et al for my visual entertainment.  Each television (LCD) has it's own Kodi and some in the home have AVRs (subsystems).  Works fine.  I utilize ZM for CCTV.

I utilize a Russound zoned audio system which is managed by firmware and software (HAI and Homeseer).  Audio sources are whatever.  Automating switches are UPB (plus whatever Z-Wave, Zigbee and still have X10).

Why reinvent the wheel?  Make it easy on yourself.  Well too if you enjoy tinkering (I do here) then play away.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but have you looked at JRiver Media Centre?

Essentially, I'll be running one thumping server with multiple HDMI outputs (over Ethernet) to three TV locations, and then an Echo Audio Fire with 12 channel outputs to play stereo audio to six locations. All based on the Zone feature they have. So far I can play two blue rays and all audio channels working without working the server too much or seeing any video glitches (can't say there aren't audio glitches since I'm only watching the dials on the EchoAudioFire to know its working).

Just gotta finish the M1 wiring before I get to play more...

Back